iDPS - A Spreadsheet Replacement

iDPS is a new easy to use Java application that is looking to be a great spreadsheet replacement. The app is still in its very early stages but it looking to be an amazing tool for rogues to use to maximise their dps. If you find spreadsheets hard to use or think they take too much effort give iDPS a try.

Project Site HERE
    EJ link HERE
    (tested and working on mac and windows 7!)

The current v0.12 r64 release is not perfect and at this stage spreadsheets would prob give better results but for the not too fussed kinda person it should still be a great tool even in its early stages. I cant wait for the 1.0 release and all the bugs are ironed out and it really can be called a spreadsheet replacement. (submit bugs in the EJ forum)!

Kudos to Chack aka Mccandless for a great application!

-First of Jubei'Thos

Re: iDPS - A Spreadsheet Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by FirstRogue
    If you find spreadsheets hard to use or think they take too much effort
    Wow.

Because selecting your gear is serious business.

Also, people who did amazing research and theorycrafting for the rogue community (so much that they got an item named after themselves) are probably just baddies and you shouldn't use the tools that they provide for your class.

Also, it's not a valid alternative if the results it brings are significantly different that 2 other widely used spreadsheets, especially if the creator has no idea why that is.

I don't mean to be flaming the new app or the effort invested in creating it. But you know, if it ain't broken...

Don't speak for Aldriana, as he has commented on this app, commends Chack for his work on it, and believes it could be a valuable tool when it has its kinks worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldriana from EJ
    Realistically, something like this would be a direct replacement for my spreadsheet if done well. As would Rawr. Some of you may recall I've experimented with such things in the past - I simply haven't had time to reach any reasonable level of sophistication with it, and I have to commend Chack for the work he's done so far. On the other hand, I feel like there's a fair number of features missing so far, and the fact that there seem to be some EP discrepancies makes me suspicious of the underlying model - I can't 100% swear that I'm wrong and this tool is wrong, but given the relative age - and thus the amount of use - of the tools in question, I'm inclined to guess that the more established tools are more likely to be correct when there's agreement - at least until I see evidence or an explanation as to why the new tool has "better" modeling that is causing the difference.

So yeah. Looks cool. Hopefully you can do some good things with it and it will become a valuable part of the rogue's theorycrafting arsenal. I'm just not sure it's quite there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldriana
    Realistically, something like this would be a direct replacement for my spreadsheet if done well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldriana
    I'm just not sure it's quite there yet.
    That is all.

I like it and I'll be watching it's progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimanche
    That is all.
    If you actually read the OPs post he talks about it not being at it's potential yet and that it is "looking to be" a replacement. It sounds like you are trying to argue just for the sake of arguing. The OP is just trying to tell people about a new program.
    "Our logic is actually pretty simple. If hybrid classes can do the same dps as pure classes, then why have pure classes in the game? So we design the pure classes to do slightly higher dps." -Ghostcrawler 3/22/2009
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=15864857264&pageNo=4&sid=1#66

I like the concept of it too. While it may not be totally accurate i bet that its not so far off that most players wont be able to tell the difference in actual game play.

Having a nice interface is always the way forward if it can get the job done. This seems to work for Apple.
    Statistically speaking, you are an average player. Learn to live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaw
    I like it and I'll be watching it's progress.
    Operator! Give me the number for 911!

It's a nifty little program.

I'm coming slightly ahead on theoretical DPS with iDPS then the Spreadsheet. However iDPS also calculates your crit cap, lists the best upgrades in a graphic based way and has the option to import from the armoury. It also has the previous tiers of gear where as the spreadsheet seems to be updated with the current gear and next tier.

Some will prefer the puritan approach of the spreadsheet (and the ability to add things and change modelling), some will prefer the UI of iDPS. I suspect more newly dinged rogues might use iDPS due to the ability to backdate their gear.

However it's one I'm watching.....

Quote Originally Posted by NonMagical
    It sounds like you are trying to argue just for the sake of arguing.
    I agree in my first post I may have come out as a dik, and for that I apologize. However I don`t see where I`m arguing, simply stating my personnal opinion & quoting the creator of the most used spreadsheet isn`t arguing.

On the bright side, the interface is quite pleasant to the eyes and very simple to use. As stated above, having older sets of armor is also a major plus for less active rogues or rogue alts.

However, if you're into min/max and precise mesurements, you may want to stick to EJ`s Aldriana's or Mavanas spreadsheet.

The project is very well handled and seems to be reasonably accurate, though not 100%. As the project's math and code gets the kinks worked out, there are some real potential advantages to this program, such as the possibility of a hosted, automated item cache resource, which would require fewer program updates and bring the project ahead of RAWR for ease of use.

Kudos for the amazing work, and shame on the dissenters for discouraging an amazing piece of work.

That is all.
    She didn't say, "STFU you bad, your shit sucks."
    She didn't say, "This is horrible idea, and how dare you make this app when my spreadsheet is uber!"
    She said, "This is a good idea and something I've though about doing. I think the model needs some tweaking, though"

Which is exactly what the OP said. It's not (yet) a replacement for the spreadsheets. It may never be more than a compliment to the spreadsheets. It's another tool in the box that's worth keeping an eye on.

Quote Originally Posted by DrgnDancer
    She didn't say, "STFU you bad, your shit sucks."
    She didn't say, "This is horrible idea, and how dare you make this app when my spreadsheet is uber!"
    She said, "This is a good idea and something I've though about doing. I think the model needs some tweaking, though"

Which is exactly what the OP said. It's not (yet) a replacement for the spreadsheets. It may never be more than a compliment to the spreadsheets. It's another tool in the box that's worth keeping an eye on.
    Chill on the Haterade buddy. Read the above posts.

But you know, if it ain't broken...
    iDPS has not yet reached version 1.0, generally any version before this is considered an alpha or beta. This means that it may not be perfect and that bugs and incorrect results may be expected.

Feel free to spend some time helping Chack with his project by submitting bugs in the thread on EJ.

Chill on the Haterade buddy. Read the above posts.
    Not trying to hate on you, just saying. Aldriana's post says more or less the exact same thing the OP did, but you quoted two bits out of context to make her seem like she disagrees with him. At any rate that's how it seemed to me. Your follow on post gets your point across much more effectively.

Honestly the final, absolute DPS number that a spreadsheet or simulator shows is somewhat irrelevant. The most important thing is that you can see relative DPS numbers.

When I plug in a new piece of gear I don't care what the end DPS number is exactly, so long as it provides an increase over the previous gear. It's probably a safe assumption that what shows an increase on the spreadsheet will likely show an increase in this simulator, too. Likewise with downgrades. Sure, there may be some slight differences along the limits of some stats (perhaps the moment when ap/haste gems are better than agi/crit gems, for example), but in general you should be able to tell if a new piece of loot is better or worse for you with either one.

That's the most important thing.

Edit: You are missing Golden Saronite Dragon, by the way.
    "Our logic is actually pretty simple. If hybrid classes can do the same dps as pure classes, then why have pure classes in the game? So we design the pure classes to do slightly higher dps." -Ghostcrawler 3/22/2009
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=15864857264&pageNo=4&sid=1#66

I wanted to be the first to post this, but i fubared my email change and locked myself out for a few days.

It's an excellent tool, complementary to the spreadsheet and far faster to use. Once the maths are hammered out, and there's a direct armory import, it'll be THE thing to hand to new rogues.

Quote Originally Posted by ant1pathy
    Once the maths are hammered out, and there's a direct armory import, it'll be THE thing to hand to new rogues.
    There's already a direct armory import and when it's all figured out it'll be the thing to give every rogue, it's definitely going to be a spreadsheet replacement.

I mean when it can pulls stats from whatever gear you have equipped. Right now it's still table based.