Would some wrathful PvP gear be okay for raiding?

The new bracers, boots, and cloak are vastly better than anything I can buy with badges as a holy pally, so would it be at all viable?

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Would some wrathful PvP gear be okay for raiding?

That may be the case, HOWEVER:
    You wind up seriously gimping your own intellect by doing it.

A lot of the item budget on PvP items are used on Stamina and Resil, so there are a lot of stats that could've been there that you are losing out on.

[Wrathful Gladiator's Cloak of Salvation]
    [Drape of the Violet Tower]

See the differences?
    Look at the stamina on the PvP cloak VS the Frost badge one.
    Badge one has a socket, PvP doesn't.
    Crit rating on badge one VS dmg reduction (Resil) on the PvP one.

Badge cloak:
    +23 int
    -34 stam
    +-0 MP5
    -9 SP
    -60 Resil
    +52 crit
    +blue socket (20 int)
    Summergale 85 Paladin - Holy/Prot dual specced.
    The Insane Progress:
    Steamweedle: Exalted (done: 999/1000)
    Bloodsail: Honored (done: 1618/12000)
    Darkmoon: Friendly (in progress: 275/6000)
    Ravenholdt: Revered (in progres: 4000/21000)

Quote Originally Posted by kakefarmer
    That may be the case, HOWEVER:
    You wind up seriously gimping your own intellect by doing it.

A lot of the item budget on PvP items are used on Stamina and Resil, so there are a lot of stats that could've been there that you are losing out on.

[Wrathful Gladiator's Cloak of Salvation]
    [Drape of the Violet Tower]

See the differences?
    Look at the stamina on the PvP cloak VS the Frost badge one.
    Badge one has a socket, PvP doesn't.
    Crit rating on badge one VS dmg reduction (Resil) on the PvP one.

Badge cloak:
    +23 int
    -34 stam
    +-0 MP5
    -9 SP
    -60 Resil
    +52 crit
    +blue socket (20 int)
    Yeah, but I can't afford any frost badge ones. I was referring to triumph and below.

I just like to pretend a pvp item is a tier below - so a 264 pvp cloak is like having a 245 pve cloak.

Not EXACTLY like that because the pve cloak might have a combination of great stats, where as the pvp one only one (for example - my druid has the haste 264 pvp cloak, great upgrade, but it has no spirit - not a big deal but obviously preferable)

So... yea... buy it - burn those 800 stonekeeper shards and get some rating free 264 pvp items

What type of "raiding" are you talking about?

If you show up to a serious raid wearing PvP gear most raid leaders will ask you where your PvE set is, and if you don't have one, prepare to get booted. Though, this is not the case EVERY time... you might get lucky somewhere? haha.

I recommend using each gear set for their respective scene, it's just designed to work better that way :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sensual Muffin
    What type of "raiding" are you talking about?

If you show up to a serious raid wearing PvP gear most raid leaders will ask you where your PvE set is, and if you don't have one, prepare to get booted. Though, this is not the case EVERY time... you might get lucky somewhere? haha.

I recommend using each gear set for their respective scene, it's just designed to work better that way :P
    I don't mean getting full wrathful. I mean just getting the cloak, bracers, and boots.

If you count weapon as "gear", then it might be ok. The rest is inferior to pve equivalent gear in a raid scenario.

Read his question and reply again.. He's telling us he hasn't got access to gear beyond triumph badges.. Obviously he will get a frost badge items once in a while, but I'm guessing he'll be going for tier gear.. This is a 232/245 PvE gear vs. 264 non-set PvP gear decision, I'm sure he'll replace PvP gear once he gets equivalent PvE gear, but until then I'd say it's perfectly fine as long as you know your stat weights and don't gimp your haste or intellect to get spellpower or something..

As Wooshiewoo said, it's ok to use, but not optimal.. I'd suggest getting RatingBuster .
    It'll help you compare stats on the item you've got equipped vs. an item you're hovering over, this can give you an idea if it's an upgrade, again, if you know what stats are good/bad for your class/spec
    Signature.. Am I doing this right?

Cloaks are such a pain right now you've made me seriously consider getting some pvp ones for my alts. Hmm - to wowhead!

I'm using the wrathful cloak with haste and spellpower on it.

106 spellpower and 60 haste? Yes please. Considering cloaks are such a rare drop and half the raid will roll on the caster cloak, it was a huge upgrade from what I was using.

Would I rather have one from ICC? Sure, but until then, it's better then nothing.

Honestly, I say it varies. If it really is better then what you currently have, then hell yes. Take it, use it till you get something better. But always make sure you compare all stats. Resil has 0 value in a pve raid. The stamina is 'decent' for the extra staying alive but, as a holy pally, you really really want your Int, SP and crit nice and high. So I would say, dont sacrifice your healing stats too much unless its really that nice.
    That said, my mage currently uses a 226 haste SP cloak, and 264 SP crit bracers, both of which were better then what I currently had and have access to, since its my alt and I dont raid very often. If I were to get in a raid, it wouldnt effect me very much, its only a small number of pvp peices, i lose out on a few other stats that would be better but it increased me in places I felt its worthwhile. (Haste, crit, int, SP higher then say a crappy blue or ilvl 200 epic that i'd had lots of trouble getting a drop to replace for ;P)
    Nindyn vel'uss kyorl ninta ratha thalra elghinn dal lil alust.

it doesnt matter if you raid voa/ony, but if its icc10/25, you wont be abble to get away with pvp gear.

I like to lead lots of PuGs and I find that most of the time people in the high end PvP gear (Wrathful now, I suppose, and relentless a little while back) perform pretty well. They don't pull the greatest DPS but it's better than the Ret Paladin using tank gear saying, "IT WORKS FOR ME!"

If the rest of your gear can make up for the stats lost to wasted itemization points in resil and stamina, OP, go for it as a placeholder until you can grab better stuff from Frost or ICC10/25.
    This line will not change of my own volition until Knaak stops screwing Warcraft Lore to write more bad fanfics.

Thanks Amuno!

The answer is if its a temp upgrade yes. becasue the resilience gimps other stats so its = to a lesser item level PVE wise, but if its an upgrade none the less then its worth it until you get a new piece that is PVE oriented stat wise.

Resilience is essentially wasted itemization points. But wearing a PvP item is essentially the same as equipping an item with hit rating on it when you are hit capped because you don't have anything better. Something like a resil/haste bracer will be superior to a spirit/crit PvE drop from 1 tier down.

Having said that, I would not raid with someone wearing more than two or three non-weapon PvP items, and I would not raid with someone raiding with PvP gear in set-item slots.
    Author of DON'T EVER GET OLD , Nominated for the Edgar, Anthony and Thriller awards for Best First Novel.
    My Blog: http://danieljfriedman.blogspot.com
    My Warcraft/Gaming Blog: http://biggerthankologarn.blogspot.com
    My Twitter: http://twitter.com/DanFriedman81

10+ Year Old Account

You lose a fuckload of intellect, so I wouldn't, my friend got kicked from my guild for having more than two PvP items in his PvE gear.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhdCslFcKFU