Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Looking for BC solo spec + advice

SO I'm looking to soloing the old BC stuff and vanilla raids and I was wondering what spec should I use and what beginning stats should I bee looking at to be able to survive.
    Also any advice would be very much welcome.

Re: Looking for BC solo spec + advice

Only thing I know from some1 asking this some time ago is that he did it as a protadin. He did tryed it as retridin but was not able to do it. Think a PvP protbuild could work. About the exact spec I cant help you.

Regular tanking gear (avg. ilevel 220), prot spec - I have yet to see heroic I couldn't handle (Keal in MgT ain't trivial, but it's doable).

With said gear I was in ZG recently - no problem at all. Loads of avoidance and Judgement of Light healing solves many troubles.

I don't say it's the best, but feels very comfortable.

I'm you're basic prot with 30k 540 28k armor kinda deal.
    Guess I'll just have to buy a bunch of water and check it out.

When first attempting to solo some bosses in MC and ZG, I spec'd prot just to be safe. As of now, I full clear MC, ZG, and MgT solo with ease as ret. I know that MgT isn't BC content but it is an instance that many people still run for the mount, pet, orb, and recipes.

Out of MC, ZG, and MgT I only have difficulty with two bosses. The most difficult boss is to solo as ret is Golemagg. Survival in that fight is highly dependent on crit'ing frequently because you will need to heal yourself. Keep SS up and don't jump the gun on bubble/LoH. Gehennas is the other more difficult boss. The damage by Gehennas and his adds is not tremendous, but the debuff can own your face as a pally. I haven't needed to yet, but you can always craft some Purification Potions to use right before you LoH. Again, SS is critical on this fight and Shadow Aura should definitely be used.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prentice
    I know that MgT isn't BC content
    WHAT? ??? ???

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by velasius
    WHAT? ??? ???
    I lol'd.

If you do not have that good protgear or if you're attemping a rather hard boss you could also try the holy/ret specc.

Some months after Wotlk came out I could do some crazy stuff with my holy pala even though I only had < ilvl200 gear back then.

Quote Originally Posted by velasius
    WHAT? ??? ???
    ROFL, I got busted. For some reason, I was thinking that he was referring to pre-BC soloing. Then I messed up again. Brainfart all the way.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

When first attempting to solo some bosses in MC and ZG, I spec'd prot just to be safe. As of now, I full clear MC, ZG, and MgT solo with ease as ret. I know that MgT isn't BC content but it is an instance that many people still run for the mount, pet, orb, and recipes.
    I know that MgT isn't BC content but it is an instance that many people still run for the mount, pet, orb, and recipes.
    MgT isn't BC content
    Wat.
    Quote Originally Posted by hermedes
    u cant ur gonna have to own up and if hes a wow nerd hes gonna kill u and get his wrathful gladiators claymore and chop ur head and ur balls of and then he will feed them to u. only if hes a true wow nerd tho

Quote Originally Posted by eatflesh
    Wat.
    Thanks for being 5minutes late and requoting another quote.

I've yet to find something I couldn't solo as ret, within reason (BWL, need multiple for the first two bosses. AQ40, you can't solo that first boss, or twins, don't care what you say)

Hell, most trouble I have soloing as ret comes from Golemagg in MC, but if you have a prot spec, that becomes even more trivial.

He was 2 minutes late ;D

Sorry, I never look at the "X new replies" thing. Guess I should have.
    Quote Originally Posted by hermedes
    u cant ur gonna have to own up and if hes a wow nerd hes gonna kill u and get his wrathful gladiators claymore and chop ur head and ur balls of and then he will feed them to u. only if hes a true wow nerd tho

Quote Originally Posted by Kairu
    I've yet to find something I couldn't solo as ret, within reason (BWL, need multiple for the first two bosses. AQ40, you can't solo that first boss, or twins, don't care what you say)

Hell, most trouble I have soloing as ret comes from Golemagg in MC, but if you have a prot spec, that becomes even more trivial.
    Skeram (AQ40) can be solo'd. A few weeks ago, I went to AQ40 with a couple of guildies. We couldn't 3man it because of the mind-controls, but the prot pally was able to solo it while we waited outside. She DPS'd Skeram down to 75%, then when the adds spawned switched to SoL/JoL. She used her CD's as necessary. When she got him to 50% and killed the adds, she had to stop DPSing him to wait for her CD's to come back up. During this time, she just went slow and regen'd mana/HP. To successfully solo this fight, you basically need to have a defensive cooldown up for every 25% you take off the boss. The only way around using defensive CD's is to wear 300-400 NR. The earth shocks deal a ton of damage.

He was 2 minutes late ;D
    He was 9 minutes later than the first person that pointed out the exact same thing. I gave him more credit that I should have by saying 5.

Honestly you can do most the BC dungeons as ret, in a PvP-like spec. I soloed the Outland Dungeon Master as ret, with ~226 gear. If you have SS up, you're good, and the 2p T10 is great for that unavoidable trash. Prot would be the only one to use to solo raids, as I had loads of problems with most of them as ret, and even the trash was hard.

all bosses in ZG expect Hakkar are soloable with 200 - 213 ilvl protadin, the tiger boss just needs some luck and good timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jambajoba
    all bosses in ZG expect Hakkar are soloable with 200 - 213 ilvl protadin, the tiger boss just needs some luck and good timing.
    Hakkar is easily soloable if you can do the others, i'm confused, hardest to solo is raptor boss, IMO, hits hard.

And as prot, you have a silence, and a short cd stun, two silences of BElf, shouldn't be too bad to interrupt the heals.

Skeram (AQ40) can be solo'd. A few weeks ago, I went to AQ40 with a couple of guildies. We couldn't 3man it because of the mind-controls, but the prot pally was able to solo it while we waited outside. She DPS'd Skeram down to 75%, then when the adds spawned switched to SoL/JoL. She used her CD's as necessary. When she got him to 50% and killed the adds, she had to stop DPSing him to wait for her CD's to come back up. During this time, she just went slow and regen'd mana/HP. To successfully solo this fight, you basically need to have a defensive cooldown up for every 25% you take off the boss. The only way around using defensive CD's is to wear 300-400 NR. The earth shocks deal a ton of damage.
    He was 9 minutes later than the first person that pointed out the exact same thing. I gave him more credit that I should have by saying 5.
    Yeah, tried 2manning it with a prot paladin friend, neither of us could solo it either, but I guess it is POSSIBLE at this gear level (226's didn't cut it for us, at least)

Yeah, tried 2manning it with a prot paladin friend, neither of us could solo it either, but I guess it is POSSIBLE at this gear level (226's didn't cut it for us, at least)
    Most people have a zerg/blow it up mentality. This boss requires a lot of patience and taking your time. Use your cooldowns and abilities as needed to ensure safe transition from one phase to the next.

Back when i had a pretty crappy gear score i managed to solo almost all of MC in ret. Hardest part was the second to last boss, all his adds as well as the debuff really sucks, took a few tries. Couldn't solo Rag though, his knockback kept screwing me up too much to stay alive.

In ZG i soloed a good portion of the bosses before my GL decided to join me, he died a few times because of MC. He joined when i was having trouble downing the boss that's actually 3 trolls that rez/heal each other. I didn't have enough dps to get them all at the same time, or just bad CD timing. Spent a good 15 mins fighting them and coming so close like 6 times before i gave up and asked for help.