Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Engineering for PvE

Play around in Rawr and you will notice that Engineering/JC beats Tailoring/JC slighty for an arcane mage with somewhat up to date gear.
    And that's without counting the gcd-less instant Saronite Bombs.

engineering is OP atm since useing saronite bombs gets you world firsts....

har har har couldnt resist .... i dont haves that gear stackd :-[
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyjanae
    Play around in Rawr and you will notice that Engineering/JC beats Tailoring/JC slighty for an arcane mage with somewhat up to date gear.
    And that's without counting the gcd-less instant Saronite Bombs.
    I doubt saronite bombs are worth it for mages. Bombs are time spent not casting. The only reason they are good for rogues (and maybe other melee?) is because they have free globals where energy is regenerating, and the bombs dont stop autoattacks. Even without a GCD, there would be latency time inbetween your bomb and your two casts surrounding the bomb.

Well there is always the odd movement which allows you can throw the bombs just fine. To throw between casts is indeed tricky, but you have in 1 out of 3 cases the GCD from casting MI. I actually think your right with the small loss of casting time, but i managed to throwa bomb after a MBAM and chain an AB after that without losing castingtime. However i only had the addon DPSTime to check for a loss, so I'm not really sure if this was not a fluke/addon-error.
    I should check with a combatlog some time to be sure.

But even without the saronite bombs Engineering trumps the other professions by a small margin.

Bombs on movement is a good call. Other than that, I think it will always result in less dps.

I just screwed around with tailoring, enchanting, jewelcrafting and engineering in Rawr 2.3.9.
    My results:
    Tailoring and engineering came out to be the best combination with my currently gear setup which is:
    Arcane(ofc)
    921haste
    Black Magic
    T10p2
    No on-use haste trinket
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Saronite Bombs don't use the GCD and have no cast time. On average it will take you 0.1-0.2 seconds because of lag to get the bomb off though.

I always use bombs if i can hit more than one target. If not it's just barely worth it, and I'm not about to risk getting a 0.2 delay on a spell.

saronite bombs are an increase in dps - as such it is a valid profession for mele classes - as for mages, its less useful

that said, the haste on the gloves in combination with other CD's can make it quite useful - since arcane mages are all about CD usage, another one makes our burst even more effective

its really all about choice - the dps differences between the different professions is being made less and less as people complain more and more

Most Mages must now consider that haste is so much more of a benefit to us because of the two set bonus from our tier 10 sets. It puts haste ahead of spell power, even more so if you find that you have a considerate amount of mana at the end of your boss fights.

If you have the ability and skill to include another "On Use" ability on your cooldowns and have a keen mind to be able to know when to correctly use your cooldowns to avoid wasting them during movement portions of the fight, you even have a greater possibility to benefit from the already on average 68 haste given through out the fight that these Glove Enchants provides.

Now that 68 haste vs 40-43 spell power is also dependent on how you manage your mana.

In my honest opinion, if your a good mage and know what your doing Engineering is much better for you. On the Otherhand if your new to your mage and lack effiency in use of cooldowns and mana management, I suggest straight SP enchants as it provides the less risk.