Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted

Re: Been hacked and ended up better off?

Well my friend got hacked 1 week ago ~ and he had about.. 250 emblems of frost or smth like it, ( saving for shadow's edge ftw), well he had S/Q & S/A so he got the account back before they could mail the items or sell them w/e. anyways he ended up having 11 primordial saronite and he got his emblems back.. so happy day for him

15+ Year Old Account

Well, my step brother had his account hacked when he was still leveling his Hunter (he was quite good imo). Then he had to do some stuff for school (exams) so he couldn't play anymore. When he tried to login after the exams, he found his account to be "Banned due to trying to sell the account in question".

He send a mail to Blizzard with a copy of his ID etc etc, he got his Account back.

He logs in:

-lvl 80 Hunter
    -lvl 80 Deathknight
    -Both characters in Epic gear (Emblem gear, but still)
    -Good amount of gold for a starter (around 4k gold)
    Fully gemmed and Enchanted

I personally wouldn't mind having 2 extra characters leveled to 80 *evil grin*
    However, my step brother thought it was not nice and deleted his lvl 80 Hunter because he wanted to lvl the Hunter on his own (why he didn't just rename it and created a new hunter with the old name is beyond me).

Anyway: He still has a DK with full gear, and of course he traded all the gold from his Hunter and sold the gear.
    He has a nice amount of Gold now + he has a lvl 80 DK.

I consider him very, very, very lucky... and I hate him for it. Why is he always the lucky **** of the family :S
    Dawwwwwww

Quote Originally Posted by Eniah
    Well my friend got hacked 1 week ago ~ and he had about.. 250 emblems of frost or smth like it, ( saving for shadow's edge ftw), well he had S/Q & S/A so he got the account back before they could mail the items or sell them w/e. anyways he ended up having 11 primordial saronite and he got his emblems back.. so happy day for him
    Exact same thing happened to me exactly in exactly the same time frame.

Dude bought a bunch of gems and shit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

So, reading this thread last night I was thinking, "Y'know, it'd almost be cool to be hacked it seems."

I wake up this morning, go to log on, enter my password... "Please enter your authenticator code." Uhm... what authenticator?

Be careful what you wish for.

10+ Year Old Account

How the hell should Curse be a feast for hackers?
    I never got a trojan / hack / whatever from it. And I've never been hacked, too. But I use it since the first Curse Client came up.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn5961
    Uhm... what authenticator?
    Retrieve your account and buy an authenticator ASAP. It's well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebleed
    Retrieve your account and buy an authenticator ASAP. It's well worth it.
    Authenticators already ordered, now just waiting for 8 AM to get here to call Blizzard. WTB 24 hour support.

Interesting story about getting hacked, although I'm sure you're in the minority. Most people lose a lot of money/items, so it'd be best not to test your luck again.
    Strikke 80 Holy Paladin/Darkspear US

Quote Originally Posted by shogo238
    Just wondering if anyone has any interesting stories to tell about you or someone you know who was hacked and ended up better off in the end.

I got a co-worker and good friend of mine started playing WoW towards the end of TBC. He put a lot of time and effort into gearing, and unfortunately, his Mage was not only hacked, but stolen and transfered to another account (key loggers are a mofo eh?). While heavily a pisser, it turns out the hacker was using his mage as a banking hub for selling gold (im guessing cause he has ports and can get to buyers quickly). he recovered his character yesterday.

gold before hacking 3k - after hacking 17k...
    He also ended up with around 12 cardinal rubies, 4 primordial saronite, 124 frost emblems and a plethora of other high end items and loot.
    He quickly told the GM that there must be a mistake, and that he barely had any of this pre-hacking. The GM's response: Keep it as an apology for it taking 3 weeks to recover your character.
    Also, was told that if he felt like the items were hot or dirty, to just delete them.. needless to say, hes a good freind, and Im about to have a few prime saronite, a couple gems, and 2k gold waiting on me as a thank you for getting him into WoW. freakin score.

Quite possibly the luckiest WoW player to date.

I got hacked at lvl 70 ( Bc time ) .. i had full merci and around 2k gold..

When i logged in the morning after i had around 15k and epic fly.. rofl

Thanks to the Keylogger ^-^

When I was hacked all my 80s gear was sold and I had a few primals and stuff after having friends monitor my character farming in Storm Peaks.

Then when I got my account back I found 5,000 gold on my level 13 warrior alt along with 4-5 other mails from the AH equaling another 300 gold. Then on top of that Blizzard returned all the gear to my 80, sent me ANOTHER few thousand gold, 100 triumph and 20 (or 30 can't remember) frost.

Where as it was stressful to have to watch my character and not be able to do anything about it for a little over a week, I definitely came out ahead.

Edit: The hacker put an authenticator on my account, so every alt I had at the time (except the 80 for some reason) now has the Core-Hound Pup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    When I see stuff listed for 12g99s, I buy the stuff that's listed at 13g00s instead, just to spite the guy who thinks he's outsmarting me. I kill one extra mob every 3 months to make up for my losses for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by masanity
    When I was hacked all my 80s gear was sold and I had a few primals and stuff after having friends monitor my character farming in Storm Peaks.

Then when I got my account back I found 5,000 gold on my level 13 warrior alt along with 4-5 other mails from the AH equaling another 300 gold. Then on top of that Blizzard returned all the gear to my 80, sent me ANOTHER few thousand gold, 100 triumph and 20 (or 30 can't remember) frost.

Where as it was stressful to have to watch my character and not be able to do anything about it for a little over a week, I definitely came out ahead.

Edit: The hacker put an authenticator on my account, so every alt I had at the time (except the 80 for some reason) now has the Core-Hound Pup.
    that's pretty cool
    the ensidia ban was clever marketing

oh noes, someone is using engineering

On of the toons in my wifes guild got hacked back in TBC and the hacker used it to bot primal life from the mobs in Zangarmarsh. It took blizz about 4-5 days to get the toon back. The good thing was that at the time he was hacked his toon was lvl 63. But all those days of botting mobs got him 3 levels :P

god bless hackers ;D
    the ensidia ban was clever marketing

oh noes, someone is using engineering

A few years back I logged into my friends PC only to discover later that it was infested with trojans and keyloggers and all sorts. Later that day my password and email was changed and someone took over my account. I got it back 2 days later to find alts on about 12 different servers that I had never played on. They all had about 10k gold on them each so I just went to IF and gave it to random people then deleted the characters. There was one on my home server but that only had about 5k on it, still better than nothing. They never even touched my mains or alts they were just using it as a drop box I guess.

Have been a long-time lurker on these forums, registered just for this topic.

I was hacked a few months ago. Was taking a month or so break from playing, and my roommate told me my toon was online. I tried to log in, and they hadn't changed the password, only added an authenticator. I sent Blizz an email, and then called them. Got my pass changed, and set my battle.net to a new email.

Now, the best part is, this guy had put my account on a 1-month recurring subscription. Let's just say it still is. ;-) So yeah, I got hacked and now play WoW for free.

Also, only a couple items were missing, but I got them back.. none of the empty bag/bank horror stories you tend to hear.

If u use curse you have to run virus/keylogger scans.
    Also whats susan express?

I have a friend who has sold his account three seperate times to gold farmers, and each time got it back through a phone call, each time gaining gold/mats/BoE's. I found that hilarious.
    On a more serious note, I was hacked back in pre-BC, lost all the gear on my hunter, didn't get any effort from blizz until BC was released, and when they decided to help me out, they sent me a set of shitty (shitty to the point where most of them didn't even have agi on them) lvl 57-60 greens (not the BC ones) and basically told me to fuck off. I didn't use mods until authenticators came out after that.

Quote Originally Posted by shogo238

for the record, it was from @blizzard.com mail. then again.. other than the donotreply@blizzard.com mails i recieved before confirming changes to my battle.net account, the other emails all say blizzard entertainment in the "from" section...

hrmm

thanks guys, for making my doubt myself and take a 2nd look. saved me possible trouble down the road.

just as a fail safe, i'll give them a call tommorow and see wtf is up with this whole crazy business.
    You can't trust the "from" address from an email, as that can be easily spoofed.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

One time when I got my account back after a hack...I sold almost 200 stacks of herbs the hacker got me. Then I waited for GM's to restore my gear/stuff, then something interesting happened...

When the GM restored my gear (the hacker had deleted many things to get room for 200 stacks of herbs) he restored all the herbs I sold too! HAHAHAHA! So I sold them AGAIN!

I have been hacked 3 times and every time I have called Blizzard and got the account back. I usually let them keep it for a few days because there was a lot of gold and herbs on my account when I got it back.

By the 3rd hack I was HAPPY it happened! I was making thousands of gold and herbs doing nothing lol.

EX - <PIE CHART> US TOP 10 Check 'em out http://piechart-guild.com/

I can't say I've ever been affected this myself, but a few months back when I was buying cheap ores for prospecting and the sort, I came across one guy who was recently hacked and had his account restored with 180 stacks of Thorium Ore. He sold each and every stack to me for about 1/3 of the price and I made a killing. 8)