Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Bears getting wrecked in ICC?

No, I don't think they are, but my guild does.

I'm a resto druid who wants to respec feral for the guild because we need more tanks, but they are all completely convinced that bears don't have enough mitigation to tank ICC unless they are in ICC gear.

The reason they think this is because our holy paladins keep claiming that our old OT, a Feral Druid always "got wrecked" when he tanked, and, as a raid healer, they won't take my word that the druid was fine.

I didn't make this thread to tell you how stupid my guild is, but I would like a link to some article or some data that shows that bears are fine.

ty for your time

Re: Bears getting wrecked in ICC?

World first Lich King kill was with a bear tank... nuff said?
    Only users lose drugs.

http://wowthinktank.blogspot.com/200...nce-bears.html

tell them to read this. or summarize it for them. my guild was the same way, they finally let me tank icc10 and the healers said it wasn't as bad as they thought. i basically had to force the 25 man rl to read the thing to let me tank.

why don't people understand that blizzard wouldn't purposefully eliminate an entire group of people from participating in icc?

Yeah they argue that bear tanks aren't good w/o full ICC gear.

EDIT: Thanks for the link, thats perfect ;D

not to be a TOTAL jerk, but if your guild thinks bear's are bad in icc because of the debuff, they are bad at this game... bear's are, if not tied with prot paladin for best tank, just below them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiguri
    Yeah they argue that bear tanks aren't good w/o full ICC gear.

EDIT: Thanks for the link, thats perfect ;D
    Most of my feral gear is ToC 25 (with the exception of a few pieces that no one else has wanted) and I can tank anything in 25 man ICC short of Sindragosa and LK (I could probably do them if our guild had better style and strategies but as it is I'd get walked on by frost breaths and NP stacks on LK). I (and many others on this site) tank Festergut in our cat gear for as many stacks as we can get before switching off and dpsing like a cement truck.

If you're bad (not saying you are, but if) then your guild might be making excuses. If that's not the case then they're ignorant and they should pull their head out of the sand before making statements like that.

Quote Originally Posted by littlepiggy
    not to be a TOTAL jerk, but if your guild thinks bear's are bad in icc because of the debuff, they are bad at this game... bear's are, if not tied with prot paladin for best tank, just below them.
    Yeah, My guild want me to tank Festergut due to having so much health. I would switch into kitty because our DK can deal with Death Bringer without a problem.

The Guild Main Tanks: Feral Tank (Me), Club, and Creepir. Our other tank switch to DPS because we got the raid thing as a tank.

I would suggest finding a new guild if they cannot grasp the concept of how powerful a bear tank can be in ICC.

When we have a tank that misses a night, I usually fill in with my bear. It's always the warriors that die before I do :-*

Everybody's mitigation is nerfed and Druids will have the same mitigation compared to a Protection Warrior or Paladin or a Death Knight, then they had anywhere else. Yes Druids take more damage then most tanks, but they did that in Ulduar and ToC and Naxx and heroics and everywhere else.

A bear has 40% dodge in ToC
    A warrior has 30% dodge, 20% parry, 30% block in ToC

The bear has 20% dodge in ICC
    The warrior has 10% dodge, 20% parry, 30% block in ICC

If you think Druids were harder or easier to heal in ToC then the same goes for ICC, despite the fact that Druids health has gone way up compared to the other tanks health, since a Druid's health is based mostly on percentages.

Obvious is obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Quehn
    Everybody's mitigation is nerfed and Druids will have the same mitigation compared to a Protection Warrior or Paladin or a Death Knight, then they had anywhere else. Yes Druids take more damage then most tanks, but they did that in Ulduar and ToC and Naxx and heroics and everywhere else.

A bear has 40% dodge in ToC
    A warrior has 30% dodge, 20% parry, 30% block in ToC

The bear has 20% dodge in ICC
    The warrior has 10% dodge, 20% parry, 30% block in ICC

If you think Druids were harder or easier to heal in ToC then the same goes for ICC, despite the fact that Druids health has gone way up compared to the other tanks health, since a Druid's health is based mostly on percentages.

Obvious is obvious.
    The amount of Block a warrior or Pala has will only ever help them take less damage on trash. As soon as you step into a boss fight, our block ( Savage Defense) works almost as well, considering its up almost all of the time. (Raidbuffed 8k AP equates to absorbing 2k damage, no too shabby!)

Also, a raid buffed druid in ToC should have more like 45-50% dodge, were as in ICC it will be more like 25-30%, depending how you gem you can easily get more than 30% before procs. And as you stated, we have more HP than other classes. In similar Ilvl gear i'd say we have about 10% more, that could easily be 20% more if your a Stam Stacker.

------

On topic, your old OT must have been pretty rubbish imo. Some druids forget about there CD's and only ever use them in an 'Oh Sh*t' situation. Of the fights i've encountered so far in ICC (7/12 in 10, 6/12 in 25), its only festergut that requires you two use you CD's at a precise moment. All of the other fights are whenever you please, just use them accordingly.

As others have stated, the first LK kill was with a bear tank and if you look closely at the new HC world first kills you’ll notice a few bear tanks in there as well, as if that isn’t proof enough that we’re doing more than fine in ICC

I'm finding that many guilds tend to prefer one type of tank to another. Mine loves ferals and blood DKs, and there's an underlying current that prot warriors just can't keep up (which I know is untrue, but it's hard to stop that mentality, even as a raid leader).

I have actually been in pugs that ask me and the prot paladin to switch specs so I can tank because they think tankadins are bad at tanking.

A lot of this is misinformation, a lot of this is just random bad experiences causing the whole "my experience is more important than actual statistics" malarky. The best way to fight against it is to just stick to the facts and don't get emotional.

bears are great tanks. So are prot warriors, paladins, and blood and frost DKs. The only tank that I think really needs a buff atm is unholy DKs.

tell your guild that bear acutally need a nerf atm.. we scale better than anytank with our stats. and we are getting a bit OP atm. Bear is one of the best choiced for MTing in almost all fights in ICC.

Quote Originally Posted by baseball
    I have actually been in pugs that ask me and the prot paladin to switch specs so I can tank because they think tankadins are bad at tanking.
    I'm sorry, what??

Our MT for our guild is a bear, actually, and he does very well. Our Pally tank is said to take a lot more damage according to our healers. It sounds like your druid OT was just bad, bears are very effective when played well.

Thanks for the replies guys.

But I don't think my guild is rubbish I think they simply jumped to conclusions far too quickly, but now they are helping me gear up my offset thanks to the link Vorancy gave me. ;D

Personally I'm not a big fan of healing Bears but mathematically speaking ICC radiance is a buff to bears relative to other tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by teddabear
    Personally I'm not a big fan of healing Bears but mathematically speaking ICC radiance is a buff to bears relative to other tanks.
    All I know is that ICC radiance screwed over my DK's threat. But then again, this is the druids forum, so I'll just take off again
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."

Your guild should check all these world first kills, a majority seem like they have bears tanking so i think bears are just fine

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus2089
    Your guild should check all these world first kills, a majority seem like they have bears tanking so i think bears are just fine
    the ONLY reason they take a bear tank is because of how much more health they can get over other tanks so there is more of a buffer for their first kills.

With the recent buff to all the T10 tanking plate sets (adding additional armor) bears now sit on = armor with the other tanks

Bears are fine - every tank class is capable of tanking every fight. None of the classes get "wrecked" more than any other. I'm sure as hard modes come out certain classes will be preferable for certain fights, but it should be fine regardless.