Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: WHY Ironforge and Orgrimmar. Just why?

For me its simpl. It is very easy to get to know IF and find everything that you need there from AH to vendors to bank. SW is very nice but it has too many gold spammers for some reason. Darn is great but it is stuck in the middle of nowhere. Exodar is hands down the worst city in the game and it is just a cluster #$% so nobody goes there (you can do /who and find like 5 people).

Ironforge is close to SW, the AH is right next to the bank.. there's an awesome bridge... other shit like that. Org... ...it's the main city cause that's how we roll dawg.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodah
    Old habits die hard. When the game first started Org and Ironforge were the only places with Auction Houses. Org was further solidified as the horde main city because of the Zepp towers. Then honor was implemented and you had to go to Org to get the rewards. All this made it so that Org became the top horde city. Since everyone was there who played in the old days (most of us memorized to layout of Org before any other city) all the newer players went there too.
    ^That.

Thunderbluff and Undercity are much more convenient for practically everything after the recent changes (mailbox movement in UC and staying mounted in that TB Cave after ports), except for PVP rewards. Thunderbluff has to be the best by far with auction house, bank, mailbox and forge practically touching each other. The only time I ever go to orgrimmar now is to buy honor gear. Silvermoon is very convenient once you know the place, with it pretty much being two cities in one. (it has two+ of -everything-. All of the profession trainers have auction houses, banks and mailboxes right next to them.)

But most people just flock to Orgrimmar out of habit and have no intention of sitting in a city by themselves.

When i was playing my Horde alts i liked Thunder Bluff very much.

As Alliance i'm usually in IF, it's faster to get everywhere both inside city (AH, bank, vendors etc. without those countless turns you have in SW) and outside (it's just in the middle of Eastern Kingdoms, near the boats of Menethil and still close to SW and its boats). Both IF and SW are quite populated on my server, but goldspammers tend to like SW more and that's another plus for IF.

I think i chose IF back when i was leveling my characters (just before TBC), i was enjoying PvP a bit and IF was the closest to both Ashenvale for Silverwing rewards and Arathi for Arathor ones.
    "Seeping crest of turbidity, arrogant vessel of lunacy.
    Boil forth and deny, grow numb and flicker, disrupting sleep.
    Crawling queen of iron, eternally self-destructing doll of mud.
    Unite, repulse. Fill with soil and know your own powerlessness."

Primera - Elemental Shaman - <Vedo La Gente Morta> - Pozzo dell'Eternità IT

Quote Originally Posted by Naughts Skyway
    ^That.

Thunderbluff and Undercity are much more convenient for practically everything after the recent changes (mailbox movement in UC and staying mounted in that TB Cave after ports), except for PVP rewards. Thunderbluff has to be the best by far with auction house, bank, mailbox and forge practically touching each other. The only time I ever go to orgrimmar now is to buy honor gear. Silvermoon is very convenient once you know the place, with it pretty much being two cities in one. (it has two+ of -everything-. All of the profession trainers have auction houses, banks and mailboxes right next to them.)

But most people just flock to Orgrimmar out of habit and have no intention of sitting in a city by themselves.
    how about just staying mounted in UC all together, let alone the tunnel in TB...

Running from one end to the other was a pain ^_^

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Texco
    I believe Orgrimmar and Ironforge were the only cities to have auction houses (before they were put in the other cities) so people congregated there.
    You are right.

TBluff is amazing - though i get lost there ( i play Alliance )
    But stealthing there to observe the native cows in their natural habitat is great.

I dunno why you guys prefer Orgrimmar is ...meh...too cramped.

IF is not so hot either and i prefer SW for its abundance of 'nature' over metal and molten steel flowing left and right.

But i am a druid so.... :P
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by crayven
    TBluff is amazing - though i get lost there ( i play Alliance )
    But stealthing there to observe the native cows in their natural habitat is great.
    For some reason, I instantly understood Thunder Bluff's layout. What puzzles me however is how I never found my way around in the Undercity, which is one of the two cities with the most logical layout (alongside Ironforge). ???

Quote Originally Posted by Lokann
    For some reason, I instantly understood Thunder Bluff's layout. What puzzles me however is how I never found my way around in the Undercity, which is one of the two cities with the most logical layout (alongside Ironforge). ???
    I get confused on the layers. I can never understand which layer will go where

UC though.. yeah. There's something about it that makes me go halfway across the map/ miss my turn unless I have the map open every few seconds.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Did some quick "/who 80" searches on my server to see what sort of numbers there were of level 80s in the four cities and got:

Stormwind - 49 max /who limit reached
    Ironforge - 22
    Darnassus - 6
    Exodar - 7

I'm guessing Stormwind is so stupidly high because of it being an RP server and it's the best "RP layout" city.

I think the original reason most people flocked to IF on most servers would have been because it was so close to Blackrock Mountain. The first two tiers of raiding were right there after all. And from IF it was only a short flight north to catch the boat to Theramore for Onyxia or AQ.

Ogrimmar is just packed on my server, and IIRC before I faction changed SW and IF were very similar in popularity. TB and UC are probably my favourite though, TB is perfect for a bank alt kind of toon with everything so close together and UC just looks so cool :P

The cool people hang in Silvermoon. Lag free since TBC!

Tons of quests went there, and afaik, AHs wasn't linked together in the beginning which resolved of people using "Orgrimmar AH". The buffs you got, rallying shit of the lol slayer etc etc.

IF - simply, cause it's build like this:

AH <-bridge - people-> Bank.

Everybody knows alliance like running straight forward.(eh?)

Everyone here is forgetting one very key component. Remember back in the day where Horde and Alliance only had 1 Auction House? A lot of the people that still play are remnants that played back then, it became a force of habit to go to IF all the time. Secondly, Org and IF are very centralized, they are both smack dab in the middle of Kalimodor and Eastern Kingdoms respectively. It makes traveling far easier. Org has the zepplins, IF has the boats in menethil.

Orgrimmar better connections to other places. You can't easily take a zeppelin from Thunder Bluff to travel to Eastern Kingdoms or Northrend. From alliance cities I myself prefer Stormwind to Ironforge. I don't know why Stormwind is somehow "easier".

I'd say it all comes down to old habits, like vanilla old habits. The facts are that in vanilla there were only auctionhouses located in the capital cities which are infact Ironforge and Orgrimmar. Also, both those cities are the capital of two races. IF = Dwarves and Gnomes whilst OG hosts the orcs and the trolls.

The "old cats" sticks to their habits from before and quickly the new people learn to do the same and follow their path. Why would you want to go to silvermoon when you know it's much easier to make busniess in orgrimmar or dalaran when you do in fact know everyone else would be there. It's like back in the days before towns/villages started to appear. It makes more sense to us humans to go to the populated place for quick busniesses and being efficent.

And as earlier mentioned, I think it all starts off from the facts that it is the capital cities of the factions and they were the only ones to have auctionhouses.

I preffer SW, mailbox is much closer to the ah.

Quote Originally Posted by fishleg
    I preffer SW, mailbox is much closer to the ah.
    I still live with the nightmare from the old days with a mailbox to far away

AH bridge is mah home

Quote Originally Posted by Fortunado
    When I first read the title, I almost pooped myself. Then I clicked the link and laughed that poop out!
    /lol

10+ Year Old Account

Cuz in vanilla AH was in org and IF

/thread

I can't say why the Horde picked Orgrimmar, but for Alliance it was as easy as Iron Forge's proximity to MC, BWL, and having the closest flight path to a boat for Onyxia. Prior to linked flights, where you were dismounted at every flight master, players would easily choose the city that got them to either of these two points with only one flight.

Afterward, i think it was due to habit, and also the convenience of having AH -> Business on the Bridge -> Socializing -> Mailbox -> Bank. The layout of the city in general, is also very helpful. Everyone knows where the Forge in IF is, and it too is closer to the bank than the forge in SW.

Ironforge and Stormwind are the largest cities on my server as well, although my server does have a number of people who go to the Exodar. Exodar is awesome for JC's because the auction house and portal are EXTREMELY close together, and it is the only alliance portal in which you are not dismounted by going through, so if you are only looking for the AH, the Exodar is the best place.