Page 1 of 2
LastLast

My holy healing meters

Ok, So I am not totally new to the healing part of the game, I am however somewhat new to the Priest Class. I just got back into the game and started a brand new account and leveled decided I wanted to level a priest. That was 2 months ago and I am finally into the ICC 10 Content. Our ten man healing make up, is a Holy paladin, Myself (holy or disc), and Another Holy priest. We are doing well and progressing, but everytime I look at the healing meters, I lag way behind. Usually the paladin takes both tanks (beacon ftw), and I usually spot heal the tanks when needed and heal raid, and the other priest takes raid. The paladin is usually top which makes a bit of sense to me due to the fact that he is better geared than both me and the other priest (we both have 2800 Gear score on wowheroes so identical gear) and the fact that because of beacon, all he has to do is spam flash heal. Which this in return also puts him on top of the Overhealing meter. Me and the other priest as previously mention have Identical gear. BUT, I usually lag WAY behind in the HPS, I can usually put up about 2500 HPS He can put over 3500 to 4k. I dont know what He does that I dont, His gear is not better than mine. I just dont know what the problem is. I know healing meters dont mean everything, and they vary by boss to boss. But looking at everything, is there some big thing im missing when it comes to healing the raid (as Holy spec) that he gets and I dont???

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ight&cn=Seliea

Is my link to armory. Is my spec messed up? Gemming? What stats are way off??? Idk what to do. And what are certain does and donts of raid healing for the holy priest class. Thanks for feedback.

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: My holy healing meters

Get rid of the power word shield glyph - Replace with Renew

Put 2 points in Healing prayers - Remove them from body&soul

Remove Inner focus
    Remove Healing focus

Place those 3 into blessed resil

Because you have 2/2 sol ( which contary to popular belief isn't all that bad )

You will be doing alot of instant flash heals, you will be renewing alot and when the shit hits the fan you will have 3 stacks most likely to popout hasted prayer of healing or big flash heal on a tank, which is actually quite awesome.

You will loose throughput with 2/2 sol as it doesn't crit but hey, youll have instant heals so that will be nice for the healing meteres when ur healing before anyone else gets chance

Also as many would say, learn some precasting skills

After all this has been said, it comes down to your skill level if he knows how to play his priest better or to the best of a priests ability then he'll whipe the floor of you if you dont

In 25mans depending on situation / boss fights I can normaly top most ICC bosses

15+ Year Old Account

Hey mate!
    maybe I'm not the person who should answer, but well I can give you some tips, looking only at your talents

- Discipline -
    Remove the point on Inner Focus

- Holy -
    Healing Prayers - mandatory with your low mana pool
    Surge of light - go with 1 point, not 2
    Blessed Res - take it 3/3
    Test of faith - take it 3/3
    Empowered Healing - meh, remove this points

GLYPHS
    - remove the penance glyph and use the circle of healing glyph
    - remove the PW:S glyph and take the Renew glyph, or the Prayer of healing glyph
    - remove the glyph of shadow protection and take the fade one

Try to take more intellect, more haste and a bit more of spell power. Than i think you'll fine.

IMHO

BENALI - well we wrote the same ;-)

15+ Year Old Account

The simple answer, and the one you probably don't want to hear could be that the other Priest is just faster than you. Do you use some sort of UI/addon to heal? Or do you just drag the groups out of the raid window?

Do you click heal? Mouse-over macro's? Grid/Healbot/VuhDo(or wherever the capital is meant to be)?

First, your spec is unfocused. You need to understand that there's various talents and glyph combinations that are complimentary to each other. For example, improved renew and empowered renew together are much more effective than spec'ing either one alone. If you choose 3/3 serendipity you'd also want to spec into talents that benefit PoH and GH. When selecting your talents, be sure to follow up with the complimentary talents and glyphs to get the most benefit from your spec.

Second, there are basically 2 ways to go as a holy priest; you either place an emphasis on renew with improved renew and empowered renew OR you focus on talents such as serendipity and test of faith to boost your direct healing spells. Either way is viable for end-game content but which you choose has a lot to do with the encounters you're working on, who else is healing in your raid and your own personal preference. Any spec holy priest should offer strong aoe healing as well.

A "renew priest" will play more like a druid where you should use renew at every opportunity. Here's an example of a spec that would emphasize renews: http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...00000000000000. You'd want to back this up perhaps with glyph of renew and glyph of CoH. This spec seems somewhat unusual, but since you don't raid with a druid or shaman, and you have another priest in group you might consider something like it.

To emphasize your direct heals, flash heal, PoM and PoH are the spells you want to boost through talents such as serendipity, healing prayers and test of faith.

Consider something like this: http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...00000000000000. And back it up perhaps with glyphs of flash heal and PoH.

With any spec, if you put a point in inner focus, you should almost certainly use it in a macro with either divine hymn or PoH. It is most effective when used with these high cost, crit-capable spells.

Based on your raid composition, you might try having one of the priests play disc spec full time to take advantage of that spec's unique qualities and diversify your comp's healing capabilities.

Why do all you crackers care about healing meters?

Farm a twill set and heal in that. You'll be fine once the EL TWO PEE kicks in.

A "renew priest" will play more like a druid where you should use renew at every opportunity. Here's an example of a spec that would emphasize renews: http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...00000000000000. You'd want to back this up perhaps with glyph of renew and glyph of CoH. This spec seems somewhat unusual, but since you don't raid with a druid or shaman, and you have another priest in group you might consider something like it.

Terrible spec. A prime example of how to NOT spec. Two points into silent resolve (lol) and not taking inner focus? Its a no no. Inner focus + divine hymn can save a raid especially in 10 mans.

Your mana pool is fine and will increase as your gear gets better. There is no reason for you to experience mana problems with replenishment, mana potion, 2 hymn of hopes shadowfiend and innervate thus making 2 points into mental agility absolutely worthless.

If you dont have replenishment nad experience mana problems..well then its a good oppertunity to practise on your mana management.

I strongly recommend grid + mouse over macros. It works wonders. A priest is not a paladin and we're not a druid. We do not have the same ability to spam heal as a paladin have and we have not the ability to hot up a full raid as a druid, we simply dont have the mana regen for it. Priests are about effective healing, know your encounters and in return you will know when to make the best use of your spells. If you know the melee will take heavy damage, hot hem up with renew and be ready with circle of healing. Try to target as many as possible with coh. Pom into a group of people who are likley to take damage.

Please guys, stop giving bad advice...

You should always take inner focus.
    You could use abit more haste.
    Haste/Spirit gems work wonders.

As for spec, get rid of empowered healing and divine fury and get Spellwarding and Blessed resilience.
    Get rid of the power word shield glyph.

2 must have glyphs are renew and circle of healing.
    the third is optional, either prayer of healing or guardian spirit is good.

Here's my spec for further help.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...00000000000000

The reality is that the Holy tree is somewhat flexible. You can spec to specialize in Renewing, Flashing, or Greater Heal casting.

Renew Centric : WoWHead Talent Build
    Flashing Centric : WoWHead Talent Build
    Greater Heal Centric : WoWHead Talent Build

Note how they are quite similar with a few points moved around. There are a number of talents that are "core" talents in that you'd be remiss not to include them in a Holy build if you want to be successful.

Also note! An alternate glyph that many are proponents are of is Glyph of Prayer of Healing, take it if you feel it necessary, I would not however suggest replacing either Glyph of Circle of Healing or Guardian Spirit to obtain it however, that's just my personal opinion though.

Inner Focus + Divine Hymn has saved many down to the wire fights for me and helped us achieve wins when for all intents and purposes we should have lost. You can check out my armory to see my spec and glyph choices for Holy, personally, I do not cast Greater Heal in a raid or dungeon ever. It's keybound and easily accessible, but I just don't need it. I'm Renew+Flash hybrid with more emphasis on Renew as a purely raid-healing minded build, we run ICC25 with me, 2 Pally's, a Druid, and any mix of 2 Resto Shaman, 2 other Priests, and 2 other Druids to total of 6 healers. ICC10 is any 2 healers and a third that has an ICC ready DPS offspec. Even in my raid-healing tailored build, I'm perfectly capable of tank healing in ICC10, with PoM and Flashes that hit fast and hard, plus good synergy with pretty much every other healer, Holy has the tools to fill most roles adequately and be an excellent supplement to any other healer. That's not to say we can't top the charts, because we can, but that depends on reaction time, spell choice, location choice, and mana minding, aka "skill".

Get and use some sort of raid frames and either mouseover macros or use the raidframes itself if it has them, the ability to cast a heal without having to target someone first. Having to target someone before you can cast a heal on them, is severely slowing down your reaction time. Kudos if you already have this aspect under control. If not, there are three "major" ones currently, Grid+Clique, Healbot and Vuhdo. Look them up, check them out, use whichever suites your preferences best, they're all quite similar. I personally prefer Grid+Clique and can point you to a thread to assist with setting it up nicely, as well as give any tips/pointers in a PM if you want, I don't claim to be a guru, but I've been using it for several years across several characters.

Good luck!

I would't really judge who's right or wrong but I wouldnt consider taking IF away as a must. 2k mana off the bat is by no means small. Mathematically it also you good bang for your buck (1 talent point) considering its boosting 3x4 ticks.

Ultimately read and consider what's been said so far and experiment abit. You will need awhile to find out what works for you, your raid and playstyle.
    Holy is pretty much the most hotly debated spec, partly since its abit bloated and partly because its a healing spec. You will pretty much find arguments for each and every tier of this tree (except maybe tier 9 and tier 10 on the talent tree obviously)

Good general rule of thumb though:
    Turn off recount, at least during midfights
    Forget this stat called "HPS". The best way to improve your HPS is to ask your raid to stand in fires.
    Understand what you need to do is work on your technique, addons and communication with raid, not competing with other healers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima
    The simple answer, and the one you probably don't want to hear could be that the other Priest is just faster than you. Do you use some sort of UI/addon to heal? Or do you just drag the groups out of the raid window?

Do you click heal? Mouse-over macro's? Grid/Healbot/VuhDo(or wherever the capital is meant to be)?
    I do use grid, the other priest that I run with does use Healbott, it makes healing faster, but i never liked it cause I use my mouse to move with. That could be it, I dont think thats were the difference comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by rubberbands
    I would't really judge who's right or wrong but I wouldnt consider taking IF away as a must. 2k mana off the bat is by no means small. Mathematically it also you good bang for your buck (1 talent point) considering its boosting 3x4 ticks.

Ultimately read and consider what's been said so far and experiment abit. You will need awhile to find out what works for you, your raid and playstyle.
    Holy is pretty much the most hotly debated spec, partly since its abit bloated and partly because its a healing spec. You will pretty much find arguments for each and every tier of this tree (except maybe tier 9 and tier 10 on the talent tree obviously)

Good general rule of thumb though:
    Turn off recount, at least during midfights
    Forget this stat called "HPS". The best way to improve your HPS is to ask your raid to stand in fires.
    Understand what you need to do is work on your technique, addons and communication with raid, not competing with other healers.
    Because more crit to divine hymn is a terrible thing right?

Quote Originally Posted by Revitalize
    Because more crit to divine hymn is a terrible thing right?
    What would you be driving at?

Quote Originally Posted by klaugh
    Flashing Centric : WoWHead Talent Build
    that spec implies you cast renew a little now and then (keeping them up on tanks or people you know will take damage pherhaps, what do I know. if you do I'd suggest taking one point in empovered renew for the instant effect. I've never gotten use from desperate prayer but if the player does then by all means take it from improved renew or whereever. that one point in emp renew can proc both holy concentration and surge of light making it a good investment... if you use renew. but then again, if you don't use renew 3 points in improved renew is a waste aswell.

all he has to do is spam flash heal
    Paladins don't have flash heal. If you mean he is spamming flash of light, tell him he's an idiot. And healing meters are only relevant when people die more often then they should.

Quote Originally Posted by Revitalize
    Please guys, stop giving bad advice...

http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...00000000000000
    OMG a spec without desperate prayer! I can't tell you how many times it's saved... blah blah blah.

I don't think anyone is giving "bad" advice. If there's anything to learn from this thread it's that there is more than one way to go as a holy priest. I think that's what makes this class and talent tree particularly fun.

The reality is that the Holy tree is somewhat flexible. You can spec to specialize in Renewing, Flashing, or Greater Heal casting.
    QFT.

I tried many builds on my priest and I got this one at the moment http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-ta...going+WIPEFEST

Probebly wasted that 1 point in serendipity. I can do little like be a renew /CoH/PoM healer all the time and if it's needed, I can throw strong greater heals as well. This spec what I have fits the best for me I think.

Probebly will put that 1 point from serendipity into desperate prayer though

15+ Year Old Account

Take th points out of blessed resilience and put them in Empowered Healing which is HUGE. take the points out of Spell Warding and Healing Focus, those are defensive and not really needed for PvE, nice but not worth it. Move the points into Improved Healing and Divine Fury, some priest don't think .5 seconds off GH is a big deal but that stacked with Serendipity make your GH just as fast as a FH and will save your tanks ass on more than one ocasion wich wil help since you are spotting the tanks.

Other than that, your spell power is rather low I had that much going into Ulduar 25. And you could stand to have a little more haste. Screw Int Gems, imo int regen is just to situational and dependent on external forces. Yes these may be covered in your raids but for an overall stable regen mechanic Spirit is amazing, its not as strong as int "can" be but it is constant.

p.s. Please mail me that trinket!

I don't think I've ever seen a post with this much bad advice. Might want to check out the build sticky, it'd be a lot more help than reading the replies here. Just... wow. Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    I don't think I've ever seen a post with this much bad advice. Might want to check out the build sticky, it'd be a lot more help than reading the replies here. Just... wow. Bad.
    Could you please point out the "bad" advice in each post? Not every post has been "bad" and misinformed. Claiming that there is only one Holy spec that is raid viable is just plain stupid, as even the thread of "[Priest] Talent Build Discussion" shows, there are many specs, choose what you're aiming to do with your group setup and choose talent points appropriately. We have flexibility, use it, explore what's best fit for you and your raid. There are some talents which are in fact just plain "useless" but those are few and a number of the builds presented do not even begin to use them or suggest using them.

@tatienne : That spec is using Renew to be rolled on someone after you've already used Flash to get them into a "good" position. This entirely dependent on your playstyle. Personally I prefer the hybrid Flash/Renew build that I'm currently specced as, it fits my playstyle and fits my typical raid composition nicely.