Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: To those who bash Gearscore using PuG Leaders...

most of the peolple who do complain about GS are people with low GS who have been turned down b/c of gear. the thing is, this has been happening before GS was invented. I remember being turned down for kara b/c my +healing was not high enough on my priest. So wat. I got better gear so i was untill i had the +healing for kara then did it. yes there are some unskilled geared people but thats part of wow and there will be no addon for that ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Savarea
    The biggest flaw of GS is it says NOTHING of the person's skill. Anyone can gear and gem correctly but not everyone knows how to play their character.
    thats really not a flaw in GS, how the hell would you have it base peoples "skills" abillity to play? Gs messures gear and that only (this is not about the person I quoted) but people seem to lack the brain cells to understand GEARSCORE IS A SCORE BASED ON GEAR AND NOT THE SKILLS OF THE PERSON PLAYING
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

The biggest flaw of GS is it says NOTHING of the person's skill. Anyone can gear and gem correctly but not everyone knows how to play their character.
    Neither does inspecting or armorying them. Or even getting achevments linked.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

the op is ridiculously fail.

I have watched my mate who i have played this game with for 5 years go into even raid outstripped by at least 3k gearscore as they tell him and pull top 1-2 position on the damage meter.

I have watched those with 5-6k gearscore get out dps'd in raids and 5-mans by my ret pally in his his old naxxaramas gear.

I myself got brought to a raid on 10 man lord marrowgar in ICC by my mates who had been unsuccessful at him for 3 weeks running (i am a disc priest) I had quit the game back when ulduar first came out and i was far from a hardcore raider being in college for pharmacy extra time for game playing is at a minimal. However despite my terribad 5-man epics and 10man naxx epics sprinkled with a few 25 man maly and naxx pieces and one 10 man ulduar piece. I managed to successfully heal through the fight and not only did we kill Lord Marrowgar but went on to kill lady deathwisper the gunship battle and saurfang in the same night.

The one thing that changed in that raid?

They replaced a priest with about 9k more mana 1k more sp 375mp5 and 400 more haste than me (essentially double to triple my gear) with me. and a 6k gearscore mage with my good mate (mentioned above) who was at a whopping 2.9k gear-score. (oh btw did i mention said mate mage ended up #1 on damage meter pulling around 9-10k dps per fight)

Having founded and been a part of a raiding guild (I was actually a hardcore raider in my high-school days disc priest since i had to MC the mobs in UBRS for the Fire resist buff to kill the Elemental Fire god thats making a reappearance in cataclysm) that is #1-2 on the server consistently and in the top 100 every now and again.

Short to say i have alot of experience with people with good gear that are in fact the most terrible players i have encountered. I have watched several players in random dungeons with 4-5k gearscore get out dps's by my lvl 71 mage alt with all greens and one blue. (with in fact no heirloom gear)

So yes in my experience gear-score is an attempt by the lesser skilled players to project themselves as not being inferior quality players, attempting to shout out that owning something makes then better than somebody else.

I do not raid, group with, or take along anyone who uses this fail addon to try and fluff up whats not important. I'd rather be running with dudes in full greens and blues pulling 5k dps than a 6k+ gear-score fool pulling 4-5k.
    "Because of all the days that have passed, We are who we are."

10+ Year Old Account

Did this require a new thread?

I couldn't give two shits about GearScore.

Inspection ftw.

I'd rather spend a little time forming groups than rely on the lazy option.

To those saying that gear score is flawed because it doesn't tell you if the player is good, stop. That's like saying that a screwdriver is flawed because you can't hammer nails in with it.

In both cases you are using an example that isn't the intended purpose of the tool.

Gear score was never intended to tell you if a player is good, it was intended to quantify their gear level as a single number. Gear score serves its intended purpose, the problem is people trying to use it for other things.

If you want to put a nail in to something use a hammer. If you want to know if a player is good get them to link you some logs, ask people who have played with them, or just take them to a raid and see for yourself.

<a href="http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...stgroup.aspx"> Elitist Group </a> gives you what GS doesn't. It's performance ratings given by people who have ran with others. So if someone performs bad in a run people will rate him down. I'm not saying GS should go away, it has become a sort of staple in the raiding community, however it doesn't tell you everything. Using it in conjunction with addons that do tell you that is more helpful.

Elitist Group addon. Tells you what GS won't!

Thats why its Gear Score, Not sure how you could mistake it for Skill Score.

But since you seem to know how to tell skill please inform us how you measure the skill of 24 other people before entering a raid?

I'm calling bullshit on a 2.9k gs Mage (2.9 is leveling gear/leek 70 gear) doing 9k on any fight. Even twin valks.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Ok I'll reiterate since I went off track a little. I'm well aware of what GS was designed to do and does do. What I meant to say earlier was that saying a person is GOOD based on GS alone is the flaw.

No Gearscore does not tell you if the person you are considering is specced correctly.
    No Gearscore does not tell you if the person you are considering is gemmed/chanted properly.
    No Gearscore does not tell you if the person you are considering is just in high-end PvP gear.
    No Gearscore does not tell you if the person you are considering is just plain stupid and bad at their class.
    And yet you still defend GS instead of just telling people to go to the bank for inspection?

What a big fool

People can defend it as much as they want, but the truth is, GS is an addon for idiots. Period.

Ok I'll reiterate since I went off track a little. I'm well aware of what GS was designed to do and does do. What I meant to say earlier was that saying a person is GOOD based on GS alone is the flaw.
    That isn't a flaw with gear score, that's just people using it incorrectly. I'm just being nitpicky here though.

I can agree really with the OP

Gear score as a first point of contact can very easily save the RL a few moments of time.

It's like turning up for a job interview in jeans and T-shirt instead of a suit, look smart then the raid leadering can look more into your achivements & Skill.

I have a youngester in my guild, he is a terrible player with crap gear, but runs around telling people he can knock out 5k+ dps and is well geared in trade (in his mind) these are the type of people you want to avoid and gear score can help, but is not the be all and end all

Quote Originally Posted by Shiira
    That isn't a flaw with gear score, that's just people using it incorrectly. I'm just being nitpicky here though.
    Correct, I apologize I wasn't more specific.

Just what this forum needs, another Gearscore thread pretty much stating the same as 50% of the others. TY /sarcasm

Yes, another gearscore thread, just what the world needed.

Let me get this straight. Gearscore is not bad because of this whole equip=/=skill crap or because it does not count gems, it is bad because there are lots of other addons out there that do the same thing it is supposed to do just much better. Gearscore has 2 mayor flaws. It spams the hell out of your raid members and it turns a perfectly intuitive number (ilvl) into one no one can really do much with.

If you wanna do a quick screening the gear of your raid, just use ekinspect for example. Shows you average item level (some number you can actually work with) and even lets you manually choose which slots you want to exclude (like trinkets for example, since ilvl means nothing on that slot). That is a valid use of such a tool, to weed out leechers who hit your raid in greens/blues. Gearscore does nothing else, just much more complicated and annoying.

And if you want to do a more in depth screening gearscore doesn't help you anyway. Then you have to use addons like elitist group or go through the achievements manually.

So bottom line, gearscor is really bad, not because it doesn't show you the skill of a player (no addon can do that) but because it sucks at doing what it is supposed to do, getting you a quick superficial screening of the equipment of your raid.

i love the fact that every player on any realm that has a GS about 1.5k lower then everyone else in the raid does better.

we need some of you on my realm that are undergeared pros.

/end sarcasm

Although... it is pretty concerning that you all have the "i outperformed someone with 6k gs" story going.

Seriously though, those people with high GS that underperform are probably not trying because its a heroic or are unflasked, not self buffed correctly or just flat out fuckin around because they overgear the shit you are running. No one wants to carry anyone but friends. Its a pug and it was made to fail. deal with it.

Like other people have stated loads of time before me, the problem with gs is that it forces people to take gear of higher ilvl to tag along. the problem hree is that disc priests are taking spirit gear instead of proper gear for those 13 ilvl's. or holy paladins taking 264 librams instead of the 200 one.

I could go on and on if I want. Ofoucrse you could say this is a flaw of the community and not the addon. However these people wouldn't be taken along(or have more trouble finding groups).

Also the way we used to make pugs in vanilla was talking to people see how their general kownledge is. Poeple of good guilds were also more famous back then though.

Gearscore in itself isnt that bad though, however it also just isnt the proper/best way to make "good" groups.

"GearScore doesn't show skill, it shows potential.

Its not a great system, but its better than nothing when qualifying PuGs"

Very nice summary. You win a cookie.
    WHEN I POST IN CAPS CURSE SPEAK FOR ALL PALADINS AND REFRAIN FROM PUNCTUATION EXCEPT AT THE END OF MY SENTENCE WHERE I USE EXTRA YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH MY LOGIC!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mavfin
    You just exposed yourself as a bad. You can get over 5200 with crafted stuff and heroic badges, no raiding necessary.

Gearscore is for bads. I don't raid with bads. End of story.
    People who go out of there way at least on my server to get the crafted 245 pieces, tend to be the better players who are seeking to succeed as early as possible, as opposed to just running whatever people are willing to carry them through, and rolling on whatever they see
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)