Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: To those who bash Gearscore using PuG Leaders...

Quote Originally Posted by Rindolor
    If someone has over a 5.2k GS it's almost guaranteed they are good, otherwise the other GS whores on my server never would have taken them to get carried to that level. Bads are weeded out on the server, I save time pugging. It's a win win.
    I'm not sure what server you play on, but every server I've looked at has people with >4.5k GS players with about as much knowledge of their class as though they started playing the same day. Your blanket statement doesn't cover people who got carried by being a guild's GL/Officer's significant other, or who bought the account, or even people who got carried through daily heroics and used emblems and bought crafted gear for that high gear score. To be blunt, all Gearscore tells you is just what it says on the tin. Just operating solely off of what someone's gearscore is is asking to end up carrying some slack-jawed eBaying scrub unless you look them up on the armory and check their spec(s), enchants, and gems, as well as inspect them for their gear itself. A 5k GS doesn't mean squat if it's a hunter wearing rogue leather and using melee-proc weapons with Executioner or something on them.
    This line will not change of my own volition until Knaak stops screwing Warcraft Lore to write more bad fanfics.

Thanks Amuno!

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat
    Sorry, checking the armory or inspecting someone in person is not the old fashioned way.

The old fashioned way involved knowing most of the people in raiding guilds that were any good, before blizzard opened the door to let scrubs raid.
    This

"Stop," said a loud booming voice. And Rhonin turned around to see it was Bolvar Fordragon, but he was all burned up and shit. He took the helm from Tirion. "I can take no comfort anymore, in the world of the living, for Arthas has burned my genitals off. I shall bear the burden. I shall be the jailer of the damned." - Legendary Knaak Thread

I agree gear score can be a good thing at times. But when you get these people trying to make a PuG raid, they require such a ridiculous number. There is no need for that. That is why the whole gear score debate is such an issue now imo.

i can't wait till blizz gets tired of the baddies qqing bout gearscore and make gettin epics even easier to get. then we'll have the pros qqing bout people getting epics even easier. see it's all a vicious cycle. oh lord when will it all stop lol

10+ Year Old Account

So who created GS anyways?
    Hey everyone

Also to Point out that another poster has said its called GEAR SCORE, if you see a player with 5600 gs you know the guy with have some understanding on ICC battles you need ICC loot to be that high

You see a player with 4500 GS, he/she might well pump out enough dps to compete with the 5600 gear scored players. but as a pug leader is the past myself, the amount of people who claim to know the boss fights then fuck up when i've taken less geared people its too much of a risk, these raids want to succeed and not fail.

Gear score provides a pug leader with a risk assesment tool that minimizes the groups chances to fail, and if used correctly can be a great advantage to them and the group there is nothing worse than looking a fool as a raid leader on your realm because you bring in undergeared players.

Anyone that disagrees with gear score has either been turned down for a raid or insulted because of their score (Although i'ld never insult someone myself). Or is in a high ranking guild with players and raid leaders that trust their ability, and as a pug leader, we only have certain tools that we can use.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Well trying not to flame this guy is tough. We are not baddies when we have all the 10 man gear we can get pre icc 10 and some moron throws an addon score at me saying i need this score to go to icc 10 when you can't get that score without doing 25 mans or the raid you are trying to get into.

Addon is fail because it doesn't save you time you still have to inspect everyone to make sure gems and enchants are there and if your really a good raid leader you inspect talents too. Then again i'm a good raid leader and thats kind of a skewed perspective for some gs only wanna be raid leader that relies on everyone knowing the fights and couldn't explain how fight mechanics work or get the raid to down a boss after someone messed up and insta calls wipe on a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceara
    GearScore doesn't show skill, it shows potential.

Its not a great system, but its better than nothing when qualifying PuGs.
    ^

I don't think people who dislike gearscore are baddies, that's just ignorant. But, y'know what, even if we are? I'd rather stumble, bumble, and fumble undergeared through 15 wipes en route to downing Saurfang in 10 normal than actually have to go to bed at night and get up in the morning knowing I'm one of these painfully sad, pathological bastards who cares that much about gearscore and expects pug raids to one shot everything like they are a realm-first guild.

Some people hate gearscore because theirs is low and others are high.

Some people hate recount because...

Quote Originally Posted by Everlightly
    Anyone that disagrees with gear score has either been turned down for a raid or insulted because of their score (Although i'ld never insult someone myself). Or is in a high ranking guild with players and raid leaders that trust their ability, and as a pug leader, we only have certain tools that we can use.
    Most of the people I know who think Gearscore is a terrible addon think so because GS fostered the mentality that if you don't grossly overgear a simple heroic meant to gear people up in gear that can get them started through emblem rewards, you aren't going. I think it's an addon that is good in tandem with armory checking and bad on its own because all it does is tell you the item level. It doesn't tell you if Jimbob the hunter is using melee proc enchants on Marrowstrike or if Jack the holy paladin is gearing for armor pen.
    This line will not change of my own volition until Knaak stops screwing Warcraft Lore to write more bad fanfics.

Thanks Amuno!

Quote Originally Posted by Rindolor
    Gearscore is here to stay, and it's a good thing.
    - erm, no it is not a good thing. It can be a way for the elite to perpetuate their own and bads to get carried by others.

But it does save people like me who PuG on my alts often A LOT OF TIME, weeding out fails, as opposed to the old way of doing it (checking on armory, or inspecting a person in front of you piece by piece, doing the math in my head to tell what their stats are).
    And those of us who can play our mains who have not yet decked out the alt in question with crafted epics? You could potentially be kicking out one of your respected guildies alts who just so happens to not be guilded up yet. Imagine it's your GM. /gkick for you for being a........

These people with between 2800 - 4900 GS may well be bads, but they may also be some damn good players. I stopped raiding before ICC so my alts are all up to the 4.9-5.1 GS rating but if someone like you kicks me then it is your loss. I know plenty of people with 5.2k GS and upwards who I can easily out DPS, out Heal and out perform.

Achievements can potentially be as bad, people rarely give you a chance to offer them your mains name to check that you have in fact cleared more content past and present than they have.

Basically give people a chance, offer advice if they are failing, you were that bad once too.
    <b>Soon</b>: Copyright 2004-2010 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between Blizzard Entertainment and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, Blizzard does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as Blizzard will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon."

recount will show you peoples Gear Scores as well... its one tab left of the damage tab...

lists everyone in raid by gearscore... GG all.

no one QQ's about that.

[quote=Rindolor ]
    No Gearscore does not tell you if the person you are considering is specced correctly.
    But if he's gotten the gear for that gearscore he probably is specced correctly(this applies for higher than 5.2k GS).

No Gearscore does not tell you if the person you are considering is gemmed/chanted properly.
    But he probably is since he's got that high GS in the 1st place, and well for a pug the 1-2 gems that might be wrong are not important(ex : VOA etc)

No Gearscore does not tell you if the person you are considering is just in high-end PvP gear.
    It actually does, Relentless set is at about 4800 GS, Wrathfull barely passes 5000, and besides all PVP sets look apart and if that doesn't help, check mana for casters, PVP geared ppl will have alot less mana than they are supposed to in the same GS PVE gear.

No Gearscore does not tell you if the person you are considering is just plain stupid and bad at their class.
    But if they've gotten that kind of gearscore they can play their class to the minimum required for a mere pug.

Added some explainatory comments for the hardheads that are posting in the other threads and in this one.

IMMA CHARGIN' MA' VENGEANCE!

Gearscore is for lazy people and retards.

Just like Death Knights. It's here to stay but it will be forever frowned upon and even neglected by a large amount of players.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

On a related note, "Recount" hate has as much or more to do with morons' compulsive need to link Every. Meter. Ever.

It's a handy tool... on raids, where maybe one person should be designated to run it and monitor it in O chat or something. Or for solo use on dummies. In other contexts, it's just a great way to annoy the hell out of people.

Ppl have nothing better to do then posting GS thread this noob vs noob battel in game and recently troll vs troll battel in wow forums is alredy anoying :

Quote Originally Posted by Hippykong
    i love the fact that every player on any realm that has a GS about 1.5k lower then everyone else in the raid does better.

we need some of you on my realm that are undergeared pros.

/end sarcasm

Although... it is pretty concerning that you all have the "i outperformed someone with 6k gs" story going.

Seriously though, those people with high GS that underperform are probably not trying because its a heroic or are unflasked, not self buffed correctly or just flat out fuckin around because they overgear the shit you are running. No one wants to carry anyone but friends. Its a pug and it was made to fail. deal with it.
    This ^
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

People like to say "oh think about all the good players with a low GS who can out dps people with 5k+" After months of pugging on my alt i have never seen it. A person who is terribly geared no surprise does terrible DPS or healing.

On top of that not many people want to carry someone through a raid most raids finish after one or two wipes bringing badly geared players increases the chance of said wipe and the raid disbanding because people can no longer handle wiping more then a few times on an encounter.

Use ElitistGroup. Problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by HopOnPop View Post
    Obviously Garrosh would win, it's like a gorilla vs a human... do you know how strong a gorilla is? He'll snap your dick off and throw it in the tall grass. Garrosh = dick-snapper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Sure. When I wake up in the middle of the night with a full tank, I just flip back the curtain and let it flow.