are we high RNG?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...orn&cn=Butosai

hey guys I was wondering what was up with me. My dps on tank and spank fights can range anywhere from 8.5k-11k. I was wondering if this is normal range of dps and ifthere was anything I could do to see more consistent numbers. Thnx

Also these numbers are with the same raid group.
    I dont play in a hardcore no-lifer guild, but in a 2 days a week "hardcore" mythic guild.

Re: are we high RNG?

I dont play in a hardcore no-lifer guild, but in a 2 days a week "hardcore" mythic guild.

Yep it's perfectly normal. Look at Crit chance for example. If you're running around at say 40%, that means that 60% of the time chances are you won't crit.

Basically, it all comes down to the RNG. Sometimes you'll get a big string of crits and your DPS will raise, other times you'll get a string of normal hits and your DPS will appear lower. It's just how RNG works.

Another idea could be that you're not hitting your rotation the same every time, random procs, or latency. All those will effect your DPS numbers.

but why are other classes like rogues more consistent with their numbers?

the only real rng about our damage is crits when wings are up/trinkets are proced.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Yes, the 2pc t10 makes us rely on the RNG of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Butosai
    They have high crit.

Quote Originally Posted by Butosai
    1handed DPS is always more reliable constant damage. if they auto attacked a dummy for 10 1 hour stints they'd all be really similar. if we did that the numbers could vary greatly.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Jin84
    They have high crit.
    That has absolutely nothing to do with why they may or may not be more consistant.

The only thing that would have an effect on RNG is the duration of the fight which translates into the number of attacks you make during a fight.

If you hit something with only 2 attacks with 50% crit, the chances of you critting with both attacks equaling 100% crit for the duration of those attacks is significantly higher than if you made 2000 attacks.

The reason rogues may be more consistant is not because of how much crit they have but the fact that they probably attack 4x (I don't know how fast rogues are swinging weapons these days) more than you when swinging 2 weapons at 1.xx speeds compared to you swinging 1 weapon at 2.5 second speeds.

The more attacks you make, the closer you will come to your actual crit percentage.

The fact that you are varying by 2500dps is not RNG. It is either your rotation, ability to time cooldowns, or some other factor. Your crit will not vary enough on a standard 4-5 min tank and spank to change your dps by such a drastic number.

Deleted

I agree with Swampmoose here.

A discrepancy as large as 2500 dps can never be accounted to just RNG when given the same conditionals (same buffs, same fight, same rotation, same latency, same gear)

What can cause a big difference however (but not in the range you are talking about), is the effects of cooldown synchronization.

Heres an example:

------------------

Fight A against Boss X lasts 5 minutes. You blow wings at time 0:20, 2:20 and 4:20. You line up Avenging wrath #1 and #2 with a Death's Choice proc, Greatness proc, Berserking Proc and Ashen Verdict ring Proc. Avenging Wrath #3 happens at 20% and this time you also get bloodlusted. You decide to pop a haste potion as well.

End dps for fight A: 11.131

-----------------

Fight B against same Boss X but this time it lasts 4 minutes due to 2 ppl not dying halfway through.
    You decide to use Avenging wrath #1 at time 0:03 as soon as you engage. This time you have only 1 Libram stack, and SoCorr is still being applied.

After wings is over, your raidleader calls for a bloodlust. Your trinket procs are all on cooldown and you dont haste pot this time.

Your 2nd avenging wrath comes off cooldown at 2:03 and you pop it. This time you only got berserking proc up. Fight ends at 4:00 and you didn't get to use a third AV.

End dps for fight B: 9.768

----------------

This is the fluctuations that you might be experiencing. The above was just a rought example of how a bad and a good fight may line up, and that doesn't even take into account how many crits you get when under the effects of AV or trinket procs as Nikoll said, which can also contribute to differences in overall dps output.

Hope this makes sense.