Page 69 of 78 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    God, this is the worst one that I can recall:
    I was leveling a priest, and when I got to around ~54, I specific queued and got Dire Maul. I was the healer for the group, and I was more than friendly, and out of nowhere either the tank or dps (because in the end, they both ended up ganging up on me) started insulting me, mostly because of my server. I ignored him at first, but eventually he just started getting extremely nasty with the insults. When they missed a boss, I tried to lead them back in the right direction, and then one of the other group members started ganging up on me. Just absolutely terrible insults that I did nothing to deserve. I left the group because I couldn't take it anymore.

Waited my 40 minutes in line as a ret pally. Get in to Tol'vir. Get a "sorry dude, but ret is just too unreliable". Kicked. =(

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Vengeance in raids largely making threat a non-issue, therefore by comparison making heroic dungeons a lot more work and skill required than a typical raid
    Erm what? Agreed, neither of the 5mans or raids are very difficult for tanks, but in raids I have to atleast focus more to avoid doing any mistakes.

Earlier today i was queing for a dungeon on my lvl 62 disc priest with my gf (62 tank warrior) and we instantly get in slave pens. The second we spawn we have the final boss glaring in our faces attacking the group and after about 30 seconds of vainly trying to get everything organized we all die besides two rogues who had vanished. They subsequently began yelling "For the Alliance" and "f the Horde". At first me and my girlfriend were highly confused but then we realized they had started the encounter and purposely wiped us in some weird "service" to the alliance. Needless to say i was highly annoyed and this is by far a new low for the WoW community that i had encountered.

it seemed as if they had been doing that for some time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend View Post
    Heres one from today.
    The healer we had was doing both DPS and Heals.
    I dont know whats worse, the fact the healer had higher DPS than the rouge and shaman or that the healer was doing dps
    Was it an Atonement spec'd disc priest?

fail mage pulling 2.8k in H GB last nite

nuff sed

Deleted
    probably been mentioned a thousand times but the only thing that truly pisses me off in LFD is plate dps queuing as tanks just to beat the timers....

everything else i can just /sigh at, and get on with it

Worst Experience?

Today.

12 Random heroics.

8 Stonecore. 4 Grim Batol. Not anything else.

Only 1 group got past the first boss in either. I'm now 1/9 on the dagger in Grim Batol (from the first boss), and I lost it. >_<

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend View Post
    Heres one from today.
    The healer we had was doing both DPS and Heals.
    I dont know whats worse, the fact the healer had higher DPS than the rouge and shaman or that the healer was doing dps
    My new priest is Atonement specced. At level 40 in heirloom gear, I am normally first on the damage meter, while keeping everyone alive.

Also, back at level 80, when my paladin had insane crit and haste, I used to spam exorcism to keep myself from getting too bored in 5-mans (there was nothing to heal). I could easily hit second or third on the damage meter for fights I didn't have to heal much.

Deleted
    Few days ago i got grouped up with some ppl from the same guild..... The thing was that they all were stoned (one also told me they were)......that was bad for the instance progression cause they jumped all around the instance, pulling everything inside....though the repair bill afterwards sucked.....it was still a fun experience coz they were talking alot of shit...

Quote Originally Posted by Silenteyes View Post
    It's not my worst experience but one of the most annoying.

When DPS sign as tanks in the lfg system and your all there buffing up some says "Where's the tank?" you inspect the Guy with the tank icon on his/her profile to see that they are dps geared and specced, When they are asked if he/she has offspec tank they deny actually signing up as tank and claiming it is a bug...
    You are not alone on this one. This happens to me every day on my lower level alts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baggers View Post
    This message was brought to you by WotLK, where thinking less, is more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Restalan View Post
    My new priest is Atonement specced. At level 40 in heirloom gear, I am normally first on the damage meter, while keeping everyone alive.
    I loved levelling through Wrath instances on my priest like that. She was out-DPSing people on bosses by miles

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    This was more of a funny story.

I log on after work last night with about 45 minutes before our raid and I want to get my random heroic done first. So I queue and leave and queue and leave until I get the glorious message "this dungeon is in progress." Bam, we're in Halls of Origination... on the corpse of the first boss. Ok, that's not much time saved. I ask if it's ok if we go straight to the last boss and some grumbling but people agree eventually. I do my normal deal where I mark a skull and pull. Who needs CC in these easy mode instances? Healer goes oom healing about 6k heals per second. Ret pally eats all the melee range AOE even though I'm spamming "move pally" in party chat. He drains the healer's mana but that healer was bad all around. I inspect the healer and... wow. I don't know what made him think he could heal a heroic. I instantly realize that we aren't downing any bosses, or if we are, it will take all night. So... I decide to leave. But how do I leave in such a way that I can immediately requeue?

Next trash pull, I mark the skull and pull. And we wipe miserably. I say in party chat "yeah you're all awful, this isn't going to work out" as I was pulling about 50% of the damage, the healer was ooming immediately, and no one knew how to interrupt / move out of bad crap. They start spamming the most hilarious rage filled invective at me. They drop racial slurs, profanity, everything in their bid to let me know "we're angry rawwwwwwr" and then I get the glorious message "you have been removed from this group."

BOOYAH! Just what I wanted. I queue up and get "this dungeon is in progress" and zone into Heroic Stonecore on Ozruk. 5 happy easy minutes later I'm idling in Orgrimmar.

Arrogant players in general, it is most annoying when it is the tank, but I've encountered arrogance in all of the roles. I understand that you're (usually) more skilled at the game than many players, but that doesn't make you God.

Specifically, I remember a Protection Paladin in a Lost City who relentlessly trolled a DPS DK for taking the Polearm off the first boss for offspec tanking. No one wanted the Polearm, but that didn't deter the Paladin who insisted it was a terrible weapon to tank with, even though the DK was currently using a iLevel 200-something green quest reward sword. The rest of the party eventually told the Paladin to f*** off, so he pulled the second to last boss and left.

The ultimate vindication, however, is that the DK threw on the Polearm, switched to Blood Presence and tanked the boss until another Tank popped up, so no wipe =P.

I had a particularly frustrating one last night. I'm leveling a protection warrior. Queued for a random dungeon and got the Gordok Commons wing of Dire Maul. Though I've tanked almost every other 5-man, I'd never done this particular one at the appropriate level. Normally not a problem; I tanked all of the Cataclysm dungeons without having seen them before, so this should be cake. I'd heard of tribute runs but never done one, so I decided to give it a try and avoid the guards on the way to the end boss.

My first hint that something was a bit off was when the healer said "dude slow up" after a few pulls, while having plenty of mana to continue. No problem, though; maybe they needed a quick AFK for something. I stop and let them know to tell me when they're ready to continue. Healer drinks, says "kk", and I pull Stomper Kreeg. Halfway through the fight, he uses an ability that knocks me back and appears to reset threat, so he starts attacking the healer. Healer immediately says something like "do u know how to hold aggro?" while I'm charging back to him. I point out that the ability he used appeared to reset his threat list, which fell on deaf ears.

After this point, the healer and two of the DPS decide to start giving me unsolicited and hilariously incorrect warrior tanking advice. "use your abilities every time they're up, nothing should ever be on cooldown" (apparently they thought I was standing there and auto-attacking?), "never stop warstomping and taunting" (exact quote; taunt should always be in your rotation for extra threat, right?), "use more thunderclap" (already used every cooldown for pulls of more than one mob, as soon as rend is up), etc. Annoying, but I figure I can ignore them and just finish the run.

We get up to Captain Kromcrush without further incident. Not having done a tribute run before, I wasn't aware of the ogre suit tactic, figured he was unskippable, and charged in. They start spouting "STOP", "NO", "dumb tank", "idiot", and other various abuse. I pick up adds as they come, but the healer can't keep up with all of them and the mortal strikes going out, so we wipe. Abuse continues as we run back. I try to take the high road and defuse them a bit by saying "If you'd like to critique my playstyle, please be specific". Healer responds by saying "You can't hold aggro on anything".

I stare at this for a moment to make sure I'm reading it right. At no point during the entire instance except during the reset on Stomper Kreeg was there a loose mob beating on other team members. With the amount of damage a low-level protection warrior does compared to other players (usually over 50% of the group's total damage on recount, no exaggeration), everything sticks to me quite easily. I have TidyPlates and Omen, so I can see when something's not targeting me and exactly how much of a threat lead I have on my target. I have plenty of tanking experience and definitely would have noticed if anyone had pulled off me. I can't do much other than to tell the healer their claim was false, which resulted in one of the DPS piping up and agreeing with the healer.

There's a happy ending, though; the healer and two mouthy DPS ended up dropping group at this point, and the one other DPS who'd been silent the entire run stayed. I requeued, we got three new group members, and proceeded to finish the instance without a hitch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ThemsAllTook View Post
    I had a particularly frustrating one last night. I'm leveling a protection warrior. Queued for a random dungeon and got the Gordok Commons wing of Dire Maul.
    We get up to Captain Kromcrush without further incident. Not having done a tribute run before, I wasn't aware of the ogre suit tactic, figured he was unskippable, and charged in.
    1. Wasting a GCD using Rend in most situations in dungeons will give the perception to dps that your threat is poor. This is because you are always playing catch up on single target threat on the very first mob you target. Most dps will assist target and continue pew-pew on this first mob as you rotate through the other mobs. Using Rend+Blood and Thunder on normal pack pulls you have effectively sacrificed single target threat for aoe threat. That's why many warrior tanks prioritise Shield Slam+Cleave+Revenge and never use Rend unless its a boss. Personally I found Blood and Thunder almost useless and redundant for normal dungeons from level 40 till 80 since you just don't ever need that kind of broad aoe threat. There were very few times when I pulled such huge packs that I felt I missed it. These non-Cata levelling dungeons are so easy that the larger a pack pull, the more likely the pack is made up weak mobs that die fast. Admittedly, for 80+ Cata dungeons and of course raids, Blood and Thunder can be situationally very useful indeed, especially for warrior raid niche of add tanking.

2. If you didn't know about the Captain Kromcrush suit bypass, then I'm not surprised you wiped. Very few pugs at that level have dps and skilled healers (regardless of heirloom gear) AND who also know how to position themselves to prevent being chain feared. Also, they would be relying on you to tank the Captain and adds in a corner so as not to be feared and end up turning your back on the mobs. With your back turned, you take a LOT more damage since you are unable to dodge, parry and block. What also doesn't help is that no healer or indeed class has any kind of fear break until about 5+ levels later!

3. Finally, its a PUG. They tend to be extremely intolerant of anything, let alone wipes or loss of threat, so do not expect any favors if you do not know the content that you are tanking. Other players effectively fully expect you, as a tank, to also be the "raid leader". This is especially the case in all the faceroll easy dungeons until Cata normals.

TL;DR. Recommend you drop Rend (and Blood&Thunder) from your normal non-boss rotation. You just simply don't need it while levelling to 80. Also, make sure you do a quick check on wowhead.com for new upcoming dungeon zone bosses (select "Specific Dungeons" in Dungeon Finder to see what is coming up) to make sure you do not miss anything obvious. If you're a tank, you're also a group leader when pugging (with no extra reward for it either)!
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2011-02-03 at 05:52 PM.

Maybe not the worst, but the most annoying was getting vote kicked from heroic Utgarde Pinnacle because I didn't have all epics (I had 1 Blue equipped), before I could even start tanking. A big mouth in the group got everyone to believe I wouldn't be able to down Skadi, after I explained to them I had tanked it many times before. I wasted 5 minutes arguing this point when I should have just dropped the group.

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    1. Wasting a GCD using Rend in most situations in dungeons will give the perception to dps that your threat is poor. This is because you are always playing catching up on single target threat on the very first mob you target. Most dps will assist target and continue pew-pew on this first mob as you rotate through the other mobs. Using Rend+Blood and Thunder on normal pack pulls you have effectively sacrificed single target threat for aoe threat. That's why many warrior tanks prioritise Shield Slam+Cleave+Revenge and never use Rend unless its a boss. Personally I found Blood and Thunder almost useless and redundant for normal dungeons from level 40 till 80 since you just don't ever need that kind of broad aoe threat. There were very few times when I pulled such huge packs that I felt I missed it. These non-Cata levelling dungeons are so easy that the larger a pack pull, the more likely the pack is made up weak mobs that die fast. Admittedly, for 80+ Cata dungeons and of course raids, Blood and Thunder can be situationally very useful indeed.
    Interesting, my experience has been different. What seems to happen sometimes if I don't rend before thunderclapping is that any AoE from DPS will pull the mobs other than my target and the other two hit by Cleave. With rend ticking away, I almost never lose them. Normally, I initiate multi-target pulls with Charge -> Rend -> Cleave -> Thunderclap. Charge usually gives me enough of a head start on the other group members that they haven't attacked much or at all in the one GCD between Rend and Thunderclap. If they're really trigger-happy, I will sometimes Thunderclap first and get Rend up afterward, but it usually seems to go better if I do it first. I'll try my next dungeon without using Rend at all and see how it goes.

resto shaman
    Mage
    Warlock (me)
    Prot Paladin.
    Frost DK.

Caster neck drops 2nd to last boss in Tolvir. Shaman, mage and me all roll need.

Prot Paladin rolls need too.

Then proceeds to bad mouth us for rolling need. Spouting all sorts of nonsense about how we were in in the same guild and he doesn't roll like that. And we are all terrible for rolling need on items we actually need.

Pally: OMG look how many of you rolled Need
    Me: Well no shit, we are all casters except the DK who cant roll on it coz he is a DK
    Pally: Im not standing for this
    Pally: You guys are all lolscrubtards, cant stand it when guilds gang up on people

5 minutes of back and forthing between us. Mostly him calling us all bad for rolling on Int gear, and rolling Need at that.

Then the caster trinket drops of siamat, and the paladin rolls Need on that too, apparently because me and the mage did.

Pally: There you guys go again all needing on stuff.
    Mage: thats a caster trinket trinket, why wouldn't we need on it.

More profanity and mindless driven out guild runs, and people rolling need from the paladin.

None of us were even from the same server.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkforCalde View Post
    They were correct though. You don't need CC in normals. If you can't heal the normals without CC, you are definitely the one that needs to L2p.
    This is IMO incorrect. It is true you can do normals with no CC. However, simply CC'ing one single mob one single time is an overall net gain in terms of time. It is so much less stressful on the healers mana that they don't have to drink nearly so often. If I tank a run with no CC, frequently the healer needs to drink every 1-2 pulls. If we CC a single mob (often a caster) it cuts down on the damage enough that the healer usually doesn't have to drink for 4+ pulls. It's incredibly fast for me to just ask (example) the hunter to ice trap the square once, and to start the pull with that. I mark skull, square, hunter traps, I charge and pick up the mobs with TC, and burn them down. Usually after you have killed 2 mobs, the ice trap is free, pick that mob up and mop up the rest. You dont need to mark 5 mobs and chain CC them, just cutting it down by one makes the runs fast, smooth, and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkforCalde View Post
    If you get into a run with 4 guildies, immediately drop group.
    I guess that depends on the guild. I run with 2+ guildies regularly and we have never booted the pugger from the instance. If their not wiping us, they stay. I also have boss macros created with Macaroon, so its a simple 1-click for me to spit the boss strat out into party chat.

In terms of my worst LFD I usually have pretty good luck. My bad one was healing on my resto druid; I got booted from the group because the tank couldn't hold healing aggro (!) and I would die. I died three times, and never complained, though I did suggest that the tank may want to open up with an AoE threat move. The tank then spit out the overhealing meter from recount into party chat and said "No wonder you keep pulling... you are doing 90% overheal. Overhealing makes 3x the threat of regular healing, thats why I cant hold the mobs". I was then votekicked from the group.

The extra bit of fun was that the metre he had chosen wasn't "% of healing that is overheals"... it was "% of healers doing overheal". So, being the only healer in the 5 man, of course 90% of the overhealing was done by me... who else would do it? That's quite a bit different than "90% of your heals were overheal", despite the fact that overhealing wouldn't cause me to pull threat from a tank.