Thread: LHW Vs. HW

LHW Vs. HW

I've been doing some maths due to a recent arguement with a guildie of mine, my calcs say hw is better in the end for all out single target spamming, where mana is not the issue, am I correct?

Code:
     Basic values

Healing Wave - 3s

Heal
    Value: 3034 to 3466 / 3250 = 1083.334 hps

Lesser Healing Wave - 1.5s

Heal
    Value: 1606 to 1834 / 1720 = 1146.667 hps
    Just the basic values.

Code:
     Talent Only

Healing Wave - 2.5s

Heal
    Value: 3034 to 3466 / 3250 = 1300 hps

Lesser Healing Wave - 1.5s

Heal
    Value: 1606 to 1834 / 1720 = 1146.667 hps
    Talent: (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=16229)

Code:
     Healing Wave Vs. Lesser Healing Wave Glyphed

Healing Wave - 2.5s (talent reduced cast)

Heal
    Value: 3034 to 3466 / 3250 = 1300 hps

Lesser Healing Wave - 1.5s + glyph

Heal
    Value: 1606 to 1834 = 3440/2 = (1720*1.2) = 2064 = 1376 hps
    Glyph: (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=57244)

Code:
     Talent Vs. Glyph

Healing Wave - 2.5s (talent reduced cast)

Heal
    Value: 3034 to 3466 / (3250x1.25) = 4062.5 = 1625 hps

Lesser Healing Wave - 1.5s + glyphs

Heal
    Value: 1606 to 1834 = 3440/2 = (1720*1.2) = 2064 = 1376 hps
    Talent: (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=29202)
    Glyph: (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=57244)

Seeing the results from my calculations, using default values, talented Healing Wave is about 300 more hps, not even with SP scaling and crits:

If Lesser Healing Wave Crits for 4K (4K*1.5) = 6K (2K benefit)

If Healing Wave Crits for 8K (8K*1.5) = 12K (4K benefit)

Thoughts / anything?

Thanks in advance.

PS: My sincerest apologies if this has been posted up recently, I could not find such thing.

Re: LHW Vs. HW

Hi,

You said that if it was mana is not an issue but normally where would this be?

If you were spamming healing wave it would have to be some pretty heavy damage that a tank would have to be taking and with healing wave costing over 1k mana per cast you would run oom quite fast from experience, can you give an example to where mana would not be an issue?

Not including dream walker ofc

Um.

You use Healing Wave on Brutallus, at level 60, if you are main tank healing for some odd reason.

Otherwise you use Lesser Healing Wave. I don't care about the math. Healing Wave is terrible.

This week on sindragosa 10m I was healing and while the other 2 healers went to wipe their debuff in p3 I would just spam healing wave on the tank. That fight you do have infinite mana as a resto shaman (I have a normal solace and was spammed healing wave throughout p3 and only hit 70% mana).
    Izzirogue of Tyrannosaurus Rekt - Hyjal | @izzirez

healing wave is miles better

.95ish lwh or 1.00 hw, which would you rather cast on the tank, i know my answer

ps: you didn't use any heal other than chain heal on brutallis, who was a lvl 70 boss not 60
    Val'anyr Completed: July 9
    Mimiron's Head
    Comablack @ magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by comablack
    ps: you didn't use any heal other than chain heal on brutallis, who was a lvl 70 boss not 60
    I Healing Waved through Stomp. But don't pay any attention to me; I forgot about Tidal Waves. I haven't played Resto since Naxx.

If mana wasn't an issue.

For spamming a tank I generally find glyhped LHW to be better and only throw in a RT+HW (2pc + tidal waves) in times of real heavy damage.

Pretty sure everyone already knows HW has more HPS than LHW, even glyphed. HOWEVER, when you factor in overhealing and mana then LHW is better and more practical.

Dreamwalker is the only fight where spamming HW is the right thing to do.

Thanks for all the positive replies!

Due to over healing and mana on normal fights glyphed LHW would be better, but where mana isn't an issue HW has more hps.

if you're healing the tank you want your heals to overheal

name one fight where mana is an issue? oh wait there isn't one
    Val'anyr Completed: July 9
    Mimiron's Head
    Comablack @ magtheridon

LOL dreamwalker is the only fight were mana IS an issue.. unless you portal..

for pure HPS. Healing wave does outperform LWH with everything in talents and in glyphs but the target requires an abnormal deficit in health for it to all be effective. though all healing is very effective based upon timing. If there is a sudden spike of damage on a tank and i wasn't anticipating it I would use LWH. though say for a fight like Mimiron or Iron Council both had abilities with a 3 sec cast time and did a good amount of damage where i can time my Healing Wave to land on the target right after the ability hits. (plasma blast and fusion punch)

on dreamwalker Healing wave is extremely better because doubles my lwh crits and the ancestral awakening is much larger. o and for the brut comment. yea it was mainly chain heal pallies were in charge of tanks I can understand maybe HW for stomp but not chain casting it.
    I know your $14.99 entitles you to play the game your way, but the rest of the raids $359.76 says know your role bitch.

On a fight like Valithria Dreamwalker. (Healing Way 3/3) Healing Wave is by far the better spell. Even taking the glyph and higher chance to proc Ancestral Awakening while tidal waves is active into account, LHW does less HPS.

A relaxed Imp healing wave/chain heal rotation on a tank while you're support tank healing is pretty decent especially if the tank damage is fairly predictable in huge spikes.

However LHW offers the following for a lot of situations-
    -Extremely fast(reguardless of whether Tidal Waves is active or not) 10-12k crit on a tank with earth shield active.
    -25% higher crit chance than Healing Wave with tidal waves proc'd. Proc'ing Ancestral Awakening more frequently, makes LHW a much better option for spot raid healing.
    -Fastest heal available offers a much lower chance of overhealing a fellow healer's snipe heal and unless you're healing with really slow healers, healing wave would be almost entirely overhealing with a 25% less chance to proc Ancestral Awakening (3-4k smart heal) than LHW.