Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: Tanking Heroic as Ret

Simply, If your going oom as prot and even have 2/2 in SA you are doing something wrong.

im all for this, its always fun to experiment with paladin tanking imo, just be prepared for some flamein from other "leet" players that know how to play the game...

im working on my second paladin as tank and with the new FLG tool grps are easy as hell to get as tank, even in low lvls (43 atm) but when ppl see that im a ret tank i usaly get the "omg NOOB TANK L2PLAY FFS NOOB" treatment(somehow ppl honestly think that i should lvl as prot). and i can imagine the reactions ppl will show at HCs,
    so i would say creat a macro explaining your choice to the other players

After switching to the SoComm glyph I hardly even DP anymore in HCs..
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines) :-(

Ive done every HC instance in my ret gear, for the ICC ones i did have to put on stam trinkets but rest was pve dps i did have a friend on his disc priest to heal so he could cover when things got hairy.

All you have to do if you want to tank as ret is get a full set of Pvp gear, mabey some stam trinkets/gems. 460 gets you crit capped i believe so its fairly easy to do without dropping t10 if you have it. The instances run really fast with that 4th high dpser and unless you get another ret pally who wants to run RF or someone who wants to taunt you will never lose aggro because you will be putting out 7-10k tps.

You don't need even need any PvP gear to tank heroics. I've tanked pretty much every HC instance except the ICC ones. All you really need is a decent healer.

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, Ret Tanks are fairly easy to heal (at least if they know what the hell they are doing) on my Resto Druid. It speeds stuff up extremely

I have a Ret friend who tanks randoms in PvP gear. The Resil gives him enough -Crit to be immune, and the Stam from the gear gives him decent HP. I dunno his exact spec, but it's pretty standard for PvPing as Ret, and he tanks pretty seamlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPistachio View Post
    Bornakk lifts the cup of coffee up to his mouth...
    ...when the Scythe of Elune comes crashing through it.
    ???: I can't you let you brew that, Starbucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinyknight
    In UK the other day my healer compained that I was taking no damage at all, I was already wearing some DPS gear (maintaining crit immunity) so I suggested I go full DPS, he was up for it so I did.

"Full DPS" to me means T10 helm, gloves for the set bonus, a dps 1hander, my BV shield, and my retri gear.

His comment after downing the last boss was "that didn't seem to make much difference at all". So yeah, as long as you have decent AV and HP, and dont bite off more than you can chew (like trash + boss at the same time as I sometimes do) you'll probably be fine in the original heroics.
    Yeh had a pala doin that in Old Kingdom, he did 8k dps overall the mobs didnt even have time to hurt him

I tried doing it for fun in full pvp gear with a sword and board last night. It went too slow :< so i slapped on full pve gear +2hander.
    50% of the group damge done and didn't dip below 50% at all, granted I had my arena healer with me. I love SoCleave and 2t10 bonus

Though I don't wanna try that in the new ICC heroics, since the mobs hit pretty damn hard. The old ones are fine, heck you can even chainpull a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arhippa
    When you take GC and replace G with C, C with H and add INA you get CHINA !

Coincidence ? I DON'T THINK SO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrotan
    Take your nerfs like a man and not some spec hopping bandwagon groupie.
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Vashj&n=Aletra

I wish you good luck with the experiment, but I also hope nobody tries that trick in an heroic with me, cos they'll be looking for another healer rather quickly.

Just out of curiosity, how the hell did you run out of mana? If you have divine plea activated it's almost impossible, or I find that anyway, as it's refreshed constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor
    If you are all overgeared for the instance it's fine, but I would hate to see some newly dinged 80 ret thinking he can tank a heroic.
    That reminds me of the tons of rogue bads in TBC that thought they could tank running into heroic dungeon packs screaming "I can tank lulz!" and then getting insta onshot. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by aenara
    Just out of curiosity, how the hell did you run out of mana? If you have divine plea activated it's almost impossible, or I find that anyway, as it's refreshed constantly.
    First, DP management wasn't perfect, it wasn't up 100% because it was on CD at start of some pulls. I just used to much mana I think. Probably was generally undergeared too, threat WAS an issue. (remember, that wasn't last week with lfg tool, it was ulduar or even late naxx times) Whatever, as you see prot isn't for me, and as I stated this isn't what the thread should be about. It should be about tanking heroics in ret spec (not ret gear). Flaming me for being a noob not being able to play prot can be done in another thread please.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

/Cast [@focus] Flash of Light
    Wim bam bam you can now queue as the healer.
    Because some players aren't looking for anything logical, like loot. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some players just want to watch the group fail.

Non-Icc heroics are easy to tank w/o tank gear.

I tank every day in full ret (0resi 0def) gear and spec, with 2h and sometime with enha shaman as healer

But sometime u met noob healer, priest which one cast penenance only, resto shaman which one put earth shield and go afk etc.

And sometime its fun!
    http://i49.tinypic.com/2i7vds6.jpg

or rage
    http://i48.tinypic.com/2wdu8ue.jpg

or problem with executus-eu defcap
    [P] [a-Executus]: >briel< you are a funny one , you think you can be def capped in pvp gears . but you do nice dps
    [Party Leader] [Briel]: i have 5,6% crit reduction from resi gear
    [P] [a-Executus]: in my realm its 7.8% crit reduction
    [P] [b-Chromaggus]: u know pvp gear ont reduced the crit chance that players crit u on
    [P] [b-Chromaggus]: only'
    [P] [a-Executus]: i dont think he does know that