Destruction Specs

I recently read the Destruction guides on this forum, but somehow I can't figure out which spec to use.

The linked specs are:
    0/13/58 (C)
    0/18/53 (D)

What I might consider are:
    0/14/57 (A)
    0/14/57 (B)

Option A is focusing on survivability, with Nether Protection and 2/2 Destructive Reach. I don't know how much it would help, which is why I'd like to put it out here.

Option B has SL, and 1/2 in ISL. I'm wondering if one point in ISL will keep it up? I realise that the highest Dps spec probably is D, where as C is second, and it supplies Replenishment.

Anyway, I'd like some feedback, even if I made some obvious mistake.

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Destruction Specs

If you're in a raid you're there to dps. So maximize your dps. You don't need Soul Link, you don't need Nether Protection, you've got healers who heal you for raid damage.
    You need to keep your eyes open, don't stand in fire(duh), don't over aggro and dps the best you can. That's your job!
    Those talents are useless in pve. If you pvp then they're really good. But you didn't mention what you need the spec for so i'll asume pve.
    Go for the spec that improves your dps.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
    Warlocks are hard.

You don't need survivability in pve unless you are doing HM content. Until then spec for damage.

I personally use http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#IZcr0hohZVbGVdMuVsAfct as my main spec.

Dead locks do no dps. With the two points in fel synergy your pet just became free extra health for you when you use soul link.

Nether protection is not needed.

Uh. This is rather simple, if you're going to take SL, go deeper Demo and get 2-3 points in Demonic Power for a DPS gain. Thus the 18/53 builds, which beat 13/58 in most situations anyway while also having higher survivability.

Quote Originally Posted by Thassaria
    Option B has SL, and 1/2 in ISL. I'm wondering if one point in ISL will keep it up?
    To answer your specific question 1 point in ISL is 50% chance of a 30% chance for your nukes to apply replenishment or a 15% chance. That is about a 1 in 7 chance of applying replenishment. If we use a rough guess of 2 second incinerates with out backdrafts you'd be gettin 7-8 casts off in the 15 second duration of replenishment. With Conflag, chaos bolt and backdraft helping to lower your average cast time it's probably more like 10 casts. This should give you a fairly high up time on replenishment but probably not 100% considering you will get dry streaks.

It might be because i havent slept in about 30 hours but, 13/58 for my gear (6015 GS) sims a fair amount higher than the 18/53, that being said ive been lazy but I was looking into simming the 14/5x build as well. because honestly I am a fan of ISL, ive noticed that because of my haste level the amount of gcd i burn lifetaping is just crazy and i cant see myself doing destro w/o ISL.

With what glyphs? With what gearset?

18/53 is ahead in BiS gear, but can get beat in some odd gearsets, or if you have the wrong glyphs (should be Imp, not Immo/LT).

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by infinitis
    It might be because i havent slept in about 30 hours but, 13/58 for my gear (6015 GS) sims a fair amount higher than the 18/53, that being said ive been lazy but I was looking into simming the 14/5x build as well. because honestly I am a fan of ISL, ive noticed that because of my haste level the amount of gcd i burn lifetaping is just crazy and i cant see myself doing destro w/o ISL.
    If this is the case then some gear you may have replaced in your haste stacking may in fact be better with your new scale factors. Might be worth considering.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by Maeno
    You don't need survivability in pve unless you are doing HM content. Until then spec for damage.
    tbh it'd be silly not to spec into soul link. I seriously doubt that one talent point will make or break your dps. Consider this: how do you expect to do damage if you aren't alive?

Anyway, OP, ISL *generally* isn't worth it. It's 5 points, and plenty of other classes bring it. If you only have one other class that brings it (surv hunter, ret pally, shadow priest, frost mage lol) or are the only one, then spec into it. Also, destructive reach is only worth putting one point into (assuming you and your tanks are competent :P).

I personally use http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#IZfM0hkGZVbGVdcuVoAcst. Soul link for survivability, imp HS for a little raid utility, and shadow fury for fun :P.

15+ Year Old Account

I like how often the "If you're alive" card is played. If I'm dead, the rest of the raid is too. Saying otherwise insults the player in question.

R.I.P. YARG