Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Tips to get first X to 85

So basically im looking for some advice/tips on getting server/realm first 85 goblin/worgon (still havent decided which to roll...really doesn't matter anyway). Anyone who got server first x (or at least tried to get it) please read through this thread to see if you can help anyone out. Or if your planning on going for it come cata come in here and share some information.

Few things i've been wondering;

Will trying for this be easier if i transfer to a smaller RP/pve or whatever server (currently play on a pvp server, can only imagine that would hinder me once i got ~80)

I plan to (and already have done some) craft/buy the best gear for every levels and enchant it all, buy/farm mats to max out alch/engy, use the top potions i can, have a 80 parked nearby for fish feast buff (if a level 80 places it doesn, a level 1+ can eat it). Bassicly be maxxed out (apart from kings/wis/might/fort etc all the time, dont have enough people willing to devote that amount of time :P), will i still lose out to someone whos been playing 24/7 since release without doing the above things, just reg gear, no buffs etc. (24/7 playtime could be achieved by multiple people playing the account [i know this happened on some realms in wotlk, also back in pre-bc to achieve rank 14 pvp])

Is there anything else apart from the above mentioned (best-ish gear per level fully enchanted with all boa [ring/shoulder/chest/weapon/weapon/ranged/trinket/trinket], maxxed proffesions, potions and fish feast) that i could do to give me that little bit of extra edge ?

(This whole thread is under the assumption they have first X to 85 achievement/titles come cata)

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Tips to get first X to 85

A PvE server will no doubt make things considerably easier. Further, it only makes sense the best gear/enchants/buffs will help as well. You shouldn't quest as this is relatively slower than tagging (not sure if you can still do this) and dungeons. That said, I think it'd be best if you find an uber geared group of players to carry you through the new dungeons. This is arguably going to be the fastest and most efficient way to gain XP.

Also, and a very important note: there are no plans to make heirlooms function above level 80. That said, I'm not sure if it's the experience bonus+ stat leveling or only the experience bonus. Either way, you won't be able to get the experience bonus upon Cataclysms release. Blizzard has said this many times and I doubt they're going to change their stance on this. So you're likely going to be upgrading all slots with "BiS" dungeon gear as you level. So, if you're serious I think you'll have to be constantly enchanting new gear as you get it. This will obviously cost a lot of money but, anyone racing for server first 85 will be doing exactly this.

Lastly, and seriously...you cannot sleep as long as you're leveling, you can't spend too much time eating (think a lot of fast food - eating while you play), bathroom breaks have to be limited. In short, any time you're not playing is time someone else will be. For anyone seriously trying to get server first, it'll come down to a matter of minutes, I'm sure. A lot of this can be avoided by having multiple people playing the character but, you can't be guaranteed they're playing it to the fullest potential (not to mention I think the whole, "I got server first but 10 people were playing it over the course of leveling" is just lame).

'What other people think of me is none of my business" - RuPaul

prepare to spend 3-5 days of not sleeping

You mean other than race change -> level or roll a DK -> level?

I'd advise taking some days off work, maybe a week or two, then stocking up on energy drinks and say goodbye to your SO. Possibly forever.

Run X class in Y dungeon for about Z hour's till 85.
    "We don't need Blizz to nerf the content. We need it to be less terrible." - Totalbiscuit

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetNoata
    prepare to spend 3-5 days of not sleeping
    Naa, the fastest grinding lvling from 70-80 was about 18 hours of farming off party in instances ( leave party - tag - monsters - kill monsters whitin 1 min - get invited back - repeat. )
    Closely followed by raid following a single player tagging monsters to be killed by the raid running behind him, about 20 hours.
    "normal" server firsts where done whitin 1½-2 days and Cata only have 5 lvls not 10... So i expect to see server firsts by the time i have installed the game ( GMT+1 )
    - Gotta take the release time in differnt contrys into consideration...
    What you've just wrote is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul!

15+ Year Old Account

Well
    Get game at 23.59

skip the first zone
    Seriusly, the first zone should be skipped at all cost unless youre alone.

Seeing that the 1st to lvl 80 killed mobs for about 27 (unsure) hours it's safe to asume that only killing is the best way to achieve lvl 85 in the shortest time possible.

Dont even try to argue at that point, when cata is out noone knows anything about where quests are done etc and to save time it's just best to kill for about 24 hours.

May i also recomend you wake up a couple hours before you go to the store so youre 100% sure u dont get tired while lvling.

This is pretty much my plan, seeing im a Ret pala im not gona have problems with health/mana but filling bags up with the newest water/food is stil important.

Also try to not talk to anyone during the whole time you kill endless and if youre realy serius you just bring a bread to the comp and prepeare it as u get hungry.

And this is what im gona do
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

gl getting 6.5million xp from 84-85 ^^

Quote Originally Posted by GISP
    Naa, the fastest grinding lvling from 70-80 was about 18 hours of farming off party in instances ( leave party - tag - monsters - kill monsters whitin 1 min - get invited back - repeat. )
    Closely followed by raid following a single player tagging monsters to be killed by the raid running behind him, about 20 hours.
    "normal" server firsts where done whitin 1½-2 days and Cata only have 5 lvls not 10... So i expect to see server firsts by the time i have installed the game ( GMT+1 )
    They fixed that and you get booted out too quickly to kill them and regroup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly
    You mean other than race change -> level or roll a DK -> level?

I'd advise taking some days off work, maybe a week or two, then stocking up on energy drinks and say goodbye to your SO. Possibly forever.

I believe blizzard said at the conference at blizz con that they said there making worgen/goblin dks unplayable on realms until the first worgen/goblin from lvl 1 reaches lvl 85

but I could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure there not gonna allow that

I'm pretty sure that the "first" world 80 did this and got banned for it. So please don't do that.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../bemore/simple Retired...for now.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...factoid/simple New Main.
    HOLY POWER =/= COMBO POINTS!
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunt123 View Post
    I am just not willing to look RNG in the face and say "Bite me"

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Play on the PTR to learn the quest lines ahead of time. Info on Wrath quests was available when Wrath officially launched.

Don't waste too much time traveling to train skills - you can sometimes level faster if you don't train for 4 levels rather than the normal 2 if you are far from a city. Basically, be smart about when you go to a city. Send all the mail you need to your character as fast as possible, this will save you some time on relogging (which can be significant.

Looting and profession levelling takes extra time - you can skip it if you don't need quest drops.

If you have 5 people, it'll be dungeons.
    If it turns out to be anything like Wrath, get a couple levels (1-2 this time since only 5 levels instead of 10) and maybe questing will yield higher XP.
    You face not Malchezaar alone, but the legions he commands.

Cocaine, lots of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bemore
    I'm pretty sure that the "first" world 80 did this and got banned for it. So please don't do that.
    yeah was some gnome mage, remembered him getting banned (could have been bc....)

Quote Originally Posted by corsairmarks
    Play on the PTR to learn the quest lines ahead of time. Info on Wrath quests was available when Wrath officially launched.

Don't waste too much time traveling to train skills - you can sometimes level faster if you don't train for 4 levels rather than the normal 2 if you are far from a city. Basically, be smart about when you go to a city. Send all the mail you need to your character as fast as possible, this will save you some time on relogging (which can be significant.

Looting and profession levelling takes extra time - you can skip it if you don't need quest drops.
    Im planning on leveling as a hunter, and only picking up skills when they are needed (which none really are, level bm and just auto shoot shit [changes with focus i guess...])

Quote Originally Posted by Nickola
    RaF ( I assume the 90 day triple experience bonus applies still ) Pair up with your RaF mate, queue for random normal cata dungeos till 85.
    I was under the impression the 3x experience wouldnt work for goblin/worgen, and currently it doesnt go past level 60 so yeah.

10+ Year Old Account

Cata only have 5 lvls not 10
    Blizzard has said multiple times, "Half the levels =/= half the experience". In fact, I believe it's going to be equal to the experience from 70-80, if not more. They said they were doing this so gaining a level wasn't just, "get quest, grind, complete quest". Gaining a level will actually mean something (as much as it can mean something).

'What other people think of me is none of my business" - RuPaul

HAVE A SHI%T LOAD OF GOLD SAVED!
    so far ive gotten about 100k+ on all my chars ( my guild sells togc25/icc25 gear )
    Buy flasks/Food/Water
    For the first ~24hrs, only do killing quests. As quest info isnt out yet.
    Buy Travelers Tundra Mammoth(for reagents) and buy lots of IRL food.
    Buy Sprite and make alot of desk space.
    Don't speak to anybody IRL/ingame unless its important.
    Do dungeons whenever you can.
    Avoid work/school. and when bored, explore( helps with later questing)
    Me myself i can go ~5 days without sleep(4th 3/4 i get woozy, so have aspirin/tylonal prepared)
    Drink water
    Don't Gank
    Don't BG
    Don't level professions
    Avoid major cities and training skills

Im already well prepared, hope this helps.

[Achievement Earned Realm First! Level 85]
    [Achievement Earned Realm First! Level 85 <Insert Class>]
    [Achievement Earned Realm First! Level 85 <Insert Race>]

Congrats! =)

Quote Originally Posted by Synwyn View Post
    My first raiding guild, way back in Vanilla WoW - Kaywarrior was our DPS warrior. After a billion Nef kills, Ashkandi finally dropped. He jerked off on vent. Literally jerked off while keyed in. Best moment ever.
    Indeed.

I've never done a world first achievement, but here are some tips that might work.

1. Have daily quests that you can quickly turn in done. Log off near them
    2. Set your hearth stone near the first place that you want to level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    "Imba"
    I literally want to Kitten Filled Hugs people in face and smack a Soft Swan-dive Pillow up their little bottoms when they use that word. It sounds just rather weird.

Fixed that for you. Please refrain from going a bit "too far" with your language.
    I love mods

Quote Originally Posted by FourDoorsDown
    I've never done a world first achievement, but here are some tips that might work.

1. Have daily quests that you can quickly turn in done. Log off near them
    2. Set your hearth stone near the first place that you want to level.
    Queueing quests didnt work in vanilla to bc, or bc to wotlk, don't think it will work this time (will check when i get beta anyway)

have 25 level 80 dailies and/or regular quests done ready to turn in the day the expansion hits, that will give you at least half level of advantage

do grinding quests (research for them from the beta)

have friends help you queueing for dungeons if you're not a tank/healer

do not worry about tradeskills

don't do anything that could harm you IRL, so get a lot of food (fruits and milk are a perfect choices) and drink a lot of water, you dont want to go dehydratated.

get to 85, receive a shitton of "gratz" whisper, and go sleep with your gigantic e-peen

I'm not doing this tho, just some ideas
    Dear developers,

please nerf Rock, it's too overpowered. Paper is fine, however.
    Signed, Scissors.