Page 1 of 2
LastLast

arms warrior/holy paladin 2v2 - still viable?

ignoring the whole "lol 2s"...

traditionally this setup has been pretty viable in 2v2, but is it still viable? I had a 2v2 with a pvp specced holy pally, and we managed to get up to about 1450 rating, but then just got stuck. our gear level is pretty good (i have icc 10 weapon, 900 resilience, full wrathful offset, some wrathful/relentless pieces), he had some relentless pieces, mostly wrathful/relentless offset items (about 1200 resilience).

basically, we just got farmed the hell outof by:
    mage/rogue
    mage/priest
    rogue/priest
    druid/x

Just seems like holy paladins have absolutely no way of avoiding CCs or mana burns or silence effects.

Has anyone had any success with this setup without really high gear levels?
    http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

Re: arms warrior/holy paladin 2v2 - still viable?

Very , Very viable, most probably one of the strongest 2s comps. Make sure dispels are used at the right times and the same for freedom and you will faceroll most other comps.

As I'm not a warrior or paladin, I've never played this comp, but I've played against it several times. This comp is still very viable, war/druid might be a bit better against certain comps, but overall it's good.

The best way to prevent mana burns is probably to stick, or atleast switch to the priest whenever he's trying to burn your pala.

It all depends on how good your warrior is not only in doing dmg but preventing mana burns and pillar nukes

Deleted

I'm sorry if this comes across the wrong way, but I think its really just a l2p issue, your pally can avoid CC better than most other classes, you both have strong cooldowns and lots of utility. Sorry mate, but any setup is viable up to at least 1600 in any battlegroup and your setup is a strong one, so not even breaking 1500 points in the direction of skill issues, all I can say is practice practice practice

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
    ignoring the whole "lol 2s"...

traditionally this setup has been pretty viable in 2v2, but is it still viable? I had a 2v2 with a pvp specced holy pally, and we managed to get up to about 1450 rating, but then just got stuck. our gear level is pretty good (i have icc 10 weapon, 900 resilience, full wrathful offset, some wrathful/relentless pieces), he had some relentless pieces, mostly wrathful/relentless offset items (about 1200 resilience).

mage/rogue
    mage/priest
    rogue/priest
    druid/x

Just seems like holy paladins have absolutely no way of avoiding CCs or mana burns or silence effects.

Has anyone had any success with this setup without really high gear levels?
    I have 2500+mmr with this setup.
    It is viable. Paladin can avoid CC, and they can avoid burns. Priests however are their worst class to come up against in 2's. This doesnt mean every match you find will have a priest in it. Frankly I see lock/druid godmode more than I do rogue/priest these days.

For the few times when a paladin can't avoid CC, warriors have sufficient cooldowns to survive the duration of the CC your paladin is afflicted by in most cases. Besides ofcourse when dismantle hits you and every single cooldown you could possibly use is stripped away from you. (and/or stunned)

Long story short, unless the warrior is good. Rogue/priest will farm you. The paladin spends the entire match running and the warrior spends the entire match slowing the priest when he is actually able to. (Combined with timed stuns on the priest into bladestorm, and timed use of arcane torrent when needed in order to avoid potential fears) it's a win. Not an easy one though.
    If the rogue goes on the paladin, unless the warriors gear sucks, it's also a win.
    Mage/priest is very very difficult. But doable, the most difficult "doable" setup you can face.
    Mage/rogue? well you really wont see much of that over 2k. I can't even remember the last time I saw one tbh.

Every setup is doable as war/pala besides a well played afflock/druid.
    As with most setups though you do have antisetups, and it does mean you have to outskill your opponents by a large amount to pull off a win. (Or just get lucky) thats just really the way 2v2 is. But long story short. Yes still very viable.

Why did you get farmed by any priest team? My experience in arena is that priests get dropped by warriors in no time. Similarly rogues should give you little to no problem if your pally is decent at surviving.

Sounds like your paladin needs to dodge things better. He should be free to do anything he wants while you smash faces in.

You get farmed by teams that have some sort of control in them, so that means you either need to support your pally better, or he needs to get more control in of what he's doing/where he's standing.

Rogue/priest is probably not what you want to see.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by masterprtzl
    Why did you get farmed by any priest team? My experience in arena is that priests get dropped by warriors in no time. Similarly rogues should give you little to no problem if your pally is decent at surviving.
    Because the warrior has a rogue on him. More to the point the arena against rogue/priest starts exactly like this. Paladin gets sapped, rogue opens on warr, priest stands next to paladin joins in on stunlock nuke of warr. Priest fears if pally trinkets. Dispels then fears if he bubbles.

The entire first minute of that fight starts up with the warrior massivly on the backfoot pressure wise.
    Until you level that out there just isnt time or space to "drop a priest in no time" (Which for the record is also a bit of an exaggeration.)

Holy Paly/MS Warrior is a crazy good comp. You both wear plate, strong/quick heals/Bubble. But like most comps you need SKILLS to play. HAND OF FREEDOM is probably the STRONGEST aspect of this comp. Give it to your warrior when he needs it but also save it for yourself when your getting nuked and need to get around a pillar to avoid the burst. Last season i played to 2050 and i wouldnt call myself a GREAT player. Sometimes youll get lucky. To avoid CC, pillar kite/Hand of Sacrifice/Divine Sacrifice and most of all L2P. Warrior/paly comp goes way back to Burning Crusade days as one of the best comps though i found Rogue/priest to be an irritating team to face. A good Warrior partner is good to have. Id say more pressure lies on the warrior to play well.....and i play a holy paladin. Thats just my opinion.

If your paly starts running oom, walk up to an opponent and start whacking him for some mana back. Your stupid if you dont pick up Beacon of Light. And dont spec into imp. concentration aura, only Aura mastery. Good luck.

perhaps I should elaborate:

if i'm free to wreck face on the priest, we farm. I basically destroy them in about 10 seconds. problem is, the rogue goes on me, and crippling > hamstring. can't chase the priest (LOS charge/intervene), so he's free to mana burn the hell outa the pally.

against double dps, he just cannot avoid CC/silence and heal me through the nuke. I'm not really the best warrior I'll admit, but I'd say i'm above average skill. Im always bouncing around the arena charging/intercepting/intervening. I even intervene then charge back, just to get stuns on rogues (not a pro move, but above average I'd say).

I try to protect my pally as much as possible while pressuring too, but I simply cannot put pressure and stay alive through all the CCs/silence he eats.

Is it l2p issue? I know I can improve, but not I've no real experience playing this comp (always played as druid in druid/X).

mage/rogue
    mage/priest
    rogue/priest
    druid/x
    Mage//rogue: Have the paladin line of site the CC, I like to stay spread out slightly at the start depending on the arena, for saps. If there is ever a time he ABSOLUTELY MUST come out of line of sight for more than a few quick heals, tell him to either aura mastery, as a counterspell is likely, or to use Divine Sacrifice, as a poly is likely. If they're on him however, do your best to peel the rogue while charge interrupting the mage, and whittle them down. Once they're out of cooldowns its over.

Mage//priest: Read above. Timely freedoms, and get you (the warrior) to gib someone.

Rogue//priest: Not so much worrying about CC, though saccing the blind is awesome.

Druid//x: Druid is definately going to win the mana war, so you need to well time your fear//hoj//bladestorm in a way to gib someone fast. Just remember as a warrior with charges, you can swap ALOT. Anytime HoTs drop off of a target, you can charge over to the next. If your pally is being focused by a dps, intervene back and start spamstringging while he freedoms away.

perhaps I should elaborate:

if i'm free to wreck face on the priest, we farm. I basically destroy them in about 10 seconds. problem is, the rogue goes on me, and crippling > hamstring. can't chase the priest (LOS charge/intervene), so he's free to mana burn the hell outa the pally.

against double dps, he just cannot avoid CC/silence and heal me through the nuke. I'm not really the best warrior I'll admit, but I'd say i'm above average skill. Im always bouncing around the arena charging/intercepting/intervening. I even intervene then charge back, just to get stuns on rogues (not a pro move, but above average I'd say).

I try to protect my pally as much as possible while pressuring too, but I simply cannot put pressure and stay alive through all the CCs/silence he eats.

Is it l2p issue? I know I can improve, but not I've no real experience playing this comp (always played as druid in druid/X).
    If hes in a position where he can't LoS the mana burns, hes doing it wrong. If you're being pawnt by crippling, then you need to get freedoms, it's the paladin's job to keep his teammates moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilhealz
    Holy Paly/MS Warrior is a crazy good comp. You both wear plate, strong/quick heals/Bubble. But like most comps you need SKILLS to play. HAND OF FREEDOM is probably the STRONGEST aspect of this comp. Give it to your warrior when he needs it but also save it for yourself when your getting nuked and need to get around a pillar to avoid the burst. Last season i played to 2050 and i wouldnt call myself a GREAT player. Sometimes youll get lucky. To avoid CC, pillar kite/Hand of Sacrifice/Divine Sacrifice and most of all L2P. Warrior/paly comp goes way back to Burning Crusade days as one of the best comps though i found Rogue/priest to be an irritating team to face. A good Warrior partner is good to have. Id say more pressure lies on the warrior to play well.....and i play a holy paladin. Thats just my opinion.

If your paly starts running oom, walk up to an opponent and start whacking him for some mana back. Your stupid if you dont pick up Beacon of Light. And dont spec into imp. concentration aura, only Aura mastery. Good luck.
    this kinda sums it up for me. he's not exactly epic at giving HoF at the right times, and it seems his mana runs unbelievably low very very quickly, and then never picks up. I ask him if he's hitting pets for mana, but he just says yes ,but I never see his mana bar going back up.

10+ Year Old Account

sounds like someone's playing with a sub-par healer.

it happens to me alot, i get the oh i'm 1800+ i'll heal 2's etc for you, and then they dont do things correctly and say i'm not as good as the warrior that they played with (got carried by).

the main thing your pala is going to be doing in matches against dk's or mages is dispelling, dispells cribbles the dk's damage, and its just funny to see a mage try to stay away from you when you get every nova and freeze thing dispelled from you.

and yah HoF at cruicail times is very important.

and if your healer is getting manaburned, get on the priest and just try to beat it down so it can really only focus on healing, and if it try's to mana burn, try to pummel it, it's hard to pummel the first one if your in battle stance, but you can usually get the second one or the second thing it casts, like flash heal or penance.

i play this comp at 1800 mmr, so its not too hard to do well.

it really relies on the paladin giving the warrior wat it needs at the right time to give the warrior the kill. tahts the whole team there

oh yeah I tried my damnedest to not let my pally get burned, if i'm on the dps I'll charge/intercept the priest and shut him down, pummel/bash them when I can. I even intervene the pally then charge the priest if he is LoSing me...but still he gets burned a lot...

thanks for helping me find what is probably the weak link in the setup...

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonak
    there just isnt time or space to "drop a priest in no time" (Which for the record is also a bit of an exaggeration.)
    this is true
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTnIGEzvTiw
    WATCH IT

well at about 1500 mmr, some priests are very bad and carried by their partners (rogues or mages). if their partners forget to peel, I can usually drop them in about 10 seconds...

charge > MS > rend > hamstring > OP the heal, then bladestorm the hell outa them. they usually just dont heal and try to run away...

well at about 1500 mmr, some priests are very bad and carried by their partners (rogues or mages). if their partners forget to peel, I can usually drop them in about 10 seconds...

charge > MS > rend > hamstring > OP the heal, then bladestorm the hell outa them. they usually just dont heal and try to run away...
    make sure you have UA on priest before bladestorming and TFB on you incase they start spamming heals you can stop bladestorm and hit em with another UA.
    (the bad ones try to run away, and they die)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTnIGEzvTiw
    WATCH IT

I have been doing 2s with an MS warrior (I am a holy pally) and even though I give him freedom/sac/Divine Sac/shield/beacon, I have found that most 2s combos we run into either dispel or spellsteal all of those buffs. I have even had a felhunter eat off my Divine plea after I had feared it till it became immune. If we work really hard, down to 0 mana, and the warrior and myself almost dying, we can win. We are sitting around 1900, and any time we get any higher, it seems we run into drain/dispel teams. Shadow priests especially dispel every buff consistently as i apply them, and my beacon costs over 1.5k mana. While it is a powerful tool when the priest is running, I've found it is not worth reapplying if they are still spamming dispel on me and the warrior. Freedom as well, is constantly stolen by mages/dispelled by priests.

okay here's the deal. It's season 8 and almost every team in 2s my partner and I are playing are priest/rogue. Anything else we usually manage. We get farmed extremely hard. In a normal game the rogue saps me and then sits happily on my warrior without him being able to do anything about it. The priest then sneaks out and start dispelling left and right. I don't get to keep any buffs and neither can my warrior. That means No sacred shield, No freedom, not even kings/might. We're both over 5600 gear score. (full relent pieces, wrathful offset)
    So here I am spamming holy lights with light's grace on my warrior, which ooms me extremely quickly. and I cant FoH him because he'll die otherwise. I can get about 2 cleanses off before I need to heal him again, and the 30% poison and magic resist isn't really helping that much.
    The other problem is, I have to stick my head out and that way the priest gets a mana burn off or I let my warrior die. Who is sitting in a 30 hour stun lock.
    this is really a lose/lose situation.