Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Ele Shaman and Turretting.

We do already have a buff for standing still. Blizz calls it "FREEZE DIRTBAG, or ur dps will go down by 75%"

Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone
    So having played an Ele Shaman for quite awhile now, and the obviousness of the fact that we must remain stationary to pull high dps numbers and keep our damage onpar with others in the raid, I also noticed one of the talents Hunters recieved, which kind of blew my mind, and it seems a bit misplaced.

Sniper Training - Increases the critical strike chance of your Kill Shot ability by Y%, and while standing still for 6 sec, you gain Sniper Training increasing the damage done by your Steady Shot, Aimed Shot, Black Arrow and Explosive Shot by X% for 15 sec. Rank 1 - 2%, Rank 2 - 4%, Rank 4 - 6%

I believe Ele Shaman should have gotten something similar to this abilty, considering we must remain stationary to deal sufficient damage, wouldn't it make sense to have such an ability?

I personally think such a buff would be placed easily onto our Elemental Focus talent.

Elemental Focus - After landing a critical strike with a Fire, Frost, or Nature damage spell, you enter a Clearcasting state. The Clearcasting state reduces the mana cost of your next 2 damage spells by 40%. Also, standing still for 6 sec will grant you 2/4/6% Damage for 15 seconds.

What do you think?
    Blizzard has stated many times that they want elemental to get away from being a turret class, specifically in PvP, so a change like this is doubtful.

what if ele's got almost the exact opposite of sniper training.

Nimble Mind-If you move for more than 3.5 seconds you gain nimble mind next 1/2/3 spells do x% more damage.

Only problem for this is it would be a big pvp buff..... maybe add something like while under the effects of nimble mind you take 20% more damage. to deter the pvp ele's from taking it.

10+ Year Old Account

If we gained a damage buff simply for moving, I can see it being abused in PvP especially, and some in PVE. Imagine raiding on a standstill boss but always having to shift every ~15 seconds to keep the buff up...we'd be laughed at for having ADHD >.< (I already get crap for constantly jumping when not in combat)

I think everyone blows the Elemental Shaman's movement issues out of proportion in PVE. Here's what Elemental can do while moving:

- Refresh Flame Shock
    - Refresh Frost Shock
    - Thunderstorm
    - Fire Nova
    - Refresh Water Shield
    - Refresh totems

Elemental also gains an opportunity to move whenever we refresh Flame Shock. Many people simply stand there and refresh Flame Shock without a care in the world, but oftentimes you would be able to gain DPS at a later point in the fight if you think ahead and move while reapplying Flame Shock. The same goes for Thunderstorm, Fire Nova, totem application--anything that grants a global cooldown.

Compare this to, say, an Arcane Mage, who, in the best case scenario, will never have global cooldowns to move around with.

Our short spellcasts and high haste also helps us with movement. While on the move you can stop and cast Lava Burst and Chain Lightning. For example, when I get Swarming Shadows on BQL Heroic 25, I don't just run around like a lunatic--I run, Lava Burst, run, Chain Lightning, and run.

And let's think about what is hitting the boss as we run around: Flame Shock, Searing Totem, Magma Totem, Fire Elemental. And Flame Shock is about to be affected by haste, and its crit, and therefore its value, will increase. The more Flame Shock expires, the more chances we have to reapply it, which gives us more global cooldowns to move around with.

We are great in PVE right now, and come next patch, we may even become downright overpowered. Especially when it comes to movement, those who are having serious issues with Elemental are generally experiencing skill issues, not something innate to the spec's mechanics. I admit that Elemental is hard to play at its optimal level, but in the hands of an experienced user, it is a great spec.

As for PVP, well.. I'm not even touching that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Corathor
    Elemental Focus - After landing a critical strike with a Fire, Frost, or Nature damage spell, you enter a Clearcasting state. The Clearcasting state reduces the mana cost of your next 2 damage spells by 40%, you also receive 15% of your intellect as spell power.

/thread
    Wow, this is probably the best suggestion of a fix to ele scaling issues I've seen ever.

+1 to you good sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergg
    I think everyone blows the Elemental Shaman's movement issues out of proportion in PVE. Here's what Elemental can do while moving:

- Refresh Flame Shock
    - Refresh Frost Shock
    - Thunderstorm
    - Fire Nova
    - Refresh Water Shield
    - Refresh totems

Elemental also gains an opportunity to move whenever we refresh Flame Shock. Many people simply stand there and refresh Flame Shock without a care in the world, but oftentimes you would be able to gain DPS at a later point in the fight if you think ahead and move while reapplying Flame Shock. The same goes for Thunderstorm, Fire Nova, totem application--anything that grants a global cooldown.

Compare this to, say, an Arcane Mage, who, in the best case scenario, will never have global cooldowns to move around with.

Our short spellcasts and high haste also helps us with movement. While on the move you can stop and cast Lava Burst and Chain Lightning. For example, when I get Swarming Shadows on BQL Heroic 25, I don't just run around like a lunatic--I run, Lava Burst, run, Chain Lightning, and run.

And let's think about what is hitting the boss as we run around: Flame Shock, Searing Totem, Magma Totem, Fire Elemental. And Flame Shock is about to be affected by haste, and its crit, and therefore its value, will increase. The more Flame Shock expires, the more chances we have to reapply it, which gives us more global cooldowns to move around with.

We are great in PVE right now, and come next patch, we may even become downright overpowered. Especially when it comes to movement, those who are having serious issues with Elemental are generally experiencing skill issues, not something innate to the spec's mechanics. I admit that Elemental is hard to play at its optimal level, but in the hands of an experienced user, it is a great spec.

As for PVP, well.. I'm not even touching that one.
    Inc Wall of Text.

You cannot compare an Arcane Mage to an Elemental Shaman. For one, Arcane Mages have an instant cast they can use while moving, which is quite powerful, Arcane Barrage I believe is it's name. Also, when your Arcane Blasts are hitting for 24k and upwards in TEN MAN raids it's not even comparable, having watched the first LK kill in the POV of an Arcane Mage, they deal out significantly more damage than we do in a short period of time, their dps numbers prove that time again, I have beaten Arcane Mages as Ele, yes, it's not impossible and is quite doable, but to compare the two during a movement encounter is a bad move, also take into consideration Blink.

Just because we have instant casts that are on the global doesn't mean using them gives us any advantage in a movement heavy fight. Sure we can refresh water shield, how is that a dps increase? Why would you need to refresh it in the first place? I don't think I've EVER lost my water shield during a fight unless I had adds all over me. Sure we can drop totems, that can be a dps loss if you already have a searing/magma down because the pulse timer gets reset when you replace them, thus interrupting the timer on your currently placed totem. I've never seen refreshing Flame Shock during a move to be a significant dps increase, ever. Both FS and FS crit for around 4.5k for me (initial hit), although I am not in BiS gear but to say we have great tools for movement is a bit far fetched.

Now I know when you're moving it's advisable to land a CL or LvB or even a LB if you have haste procs up and keep moving, of course you should never stop dpsing if you can squeeze in something during your run out of fire or whirlwind or whatever.

Thats just my two cents, I'm quite new to Elemental and have since retired from the game but I always followed rotation and tried to maximize my dps at all times during a boss encounter and I can say from my experience movement heavy fights were awful for me. Also unless you're right next to the boss or within range of Thunderstorm, it's not going to help your dps whatsoever, its a horrible skill other than PvP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nangz
    GoD isn't so great for unholy
    Quote Originally Posted by HoX
    i dont understamd ???

For one, Arcane Mages have an instant cast they can use while moving,
    No they can't.

I did read the rest of your post but I'm not going to break it down; you seem unaware of elementary things, like how an early totem replacement will net you more DPS at a later point, or how Thunderstorm can be used effectively for both DPS and mana return. If you want to debate about the points I've made, first start by looking up how Arcane Mages work.

Elemental is fine atm. In 25 you should have atleast one lock, and if they dont go demo, well yeh there not exactly into helping out the raid then. If you are able to drop fire ele then you dps will be fine. As Bergg said, Elemental has many things to do while moving around as well as an elemental thats is constantly beating on the boss.

Myself and the other ele shaman in my guild can both pull 7k on fights like putricide and Princes which require abit of moving around and where not in the best gear and this is without a demo lock.

You just need to look through your spellbook and notice that elemental shamans can do things other then Lightning Bolt and Lava Burst.

Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone
    Inc Wall of Text.
    You can't compare ele to arcane because arcane is a pure dps class and is suppozed to pull more.

But really, every class loses dps from moving. Ele less so than several classes. Moonkin by far lose the most dps by moving, especially when they are forced to move during eclipse.

Melee moving out of melee range normally lose more dps than ranged moving as well, as most ranged have some button they can hit while moving.

So really, stop QQing. Especially as a class with many things you can do while moving. Moving is part of the game. Being smart about it is what sometimes makes or breaks an encounter.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

As has been mentioned by others in this thread, we aren't the only ones who suffer from movement heavy fights ( my druid likes to QQ when I move and waste precious time off eclipse). It's just something we need to adapt to and cope with, just like the rest. Some classes are certainly better equipped to handle it thanus, but we are far from being the worst off.

Shamans with lower haste will suffer more from movement fights than those at higher haste levels, obviously, but I don't suffer anymore dps loss than any of my dps brethren, we all seem to drop 1-2k on certain fights ( Putricide, Lich King...oh how i hate thee/love thee). Bergg pretty much has it spot on ( and as a fellow Aerie peakian, it's blasphemous for me to agree with anything an Uprising member says ).

While I certainly would not bemoan anymore buffs to us, I don't think we're quite as "bad' as some have noted. Hell, just from this thread alone I see quite a few shamans who have killed Arthas, whether it be 10/25 man. Sometimes I think we dwell too much on the negative and gloss over the positives.

By the by, if you hate movement fights the Lich King fight will probably enrage you, well, except for P1, and probably the transition periods ( unless you're me and get orb spawns 100 feet from each other). At least it was for us in 10 man ( unless you have 5 locks who can make the valk'yrs a non-issue).

On a sidenote, I personally like Thunderstorm, at least in ICC. I've used it a lot more in there than anywhere else, most notably in Putricide and Lich King ( Raging Spirit + LK + Valkyr). I'm a little sad the Raging Spirits are immune to the knockback, I was looking forward to throwing them off the cliff ( probably fuelled by the number of times I got defile + picked by Valk'yr = thrown off thousands of feet).

Quote Originally Posted by MusashiHK
    By the by, if you hate movement fights the Lich King fight will probably enrage you
    I felt so useful on Lich King, though. Lots of adds to Chain Lightning, Flame Shock, and Fire Nova. During the Valkyr Phase, your Earthbind is an AOE snare, and your Frost Shock is a single target snare. Elemental's burst DPS also wrecks the Valkyrs. Same with Vile Spirits; those can be AOE rooted via Earthbind. It's a fight where add-killing really shines, which has always been the Elemental's specialty.

I think Putricide is really the fight with the most movement in ICC--but, again, it's also where our burst DPS really shines; we may not be putting out the best DPS versus Putricide, but we're almost guaranteed to be getting top damage versus the slimes. But yup; I've done all of Naxx, Ulduar HM, TOGC 25, 9/12 ICC 25-H, and 11/12 ICC 10-H, as Elemental, and I've done absolutely fine. It's not all about DPS; Elemental brings a lot more to the table.

I was also disappointed that I could not Thunderstorm Lich King off of the platform.

Yeah, I was doing all of the other stuff, I just hated that I would get Defile then immediately get picked up by a Valk'yr. Plus, our pallies/DK pretty much had the valk'yrs stunned or CoI, and they'd be dead by then. Otherwise, yeah, we're very good in that fight. Gotta love the burst while inside Frostmourne.

One thing I didn't know though, was that the Vile spirits are snareable by our EB totem. I usually was CL + single targetting them and just ate the rest ( which was normally 2-3). I'll have to do that next time.

Deleted

TBH, I was always on top on movement fights because we have loads of instants to use while moving for a short time?

Just to point out that sniper training is for survival hunters which nearly no one plays because they wanna be max dps and go MM..

Either way just to point out.. SV hunters have sniper training because their steady casts are like 1.5-1.7 and yours are like 1.1-1.4 depending on gear / gems

Getting a dmg modifier ( as stated before) is not the answer.. The problem with ele shammys is the lack of stat scaling.

Also just to point out.. Although everyone wants to bring a sham for hero / totems,

No want really wants a hunter over shams if they had a choice..

(And yes I play an ele sham as well)