Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Will Fire be back on top post 3.3?

From my reading of the patch notes, it seems like Fire will be back on top after 3.3, especially in IceCrown. The fireball glyph change is nice but it's the changes to Pyroblast and Combustion that would seem to tip the balance. Having Pyroblast take advantage of TTW and Empowered Fire is a straight DPS Boost. Taking a minute of of combustion will lead to more frequent Hot Streak Procs which go back to the first point about Pyro gaining increased damage from TTW and Empowered Fire. I know my DPS has gone down in ICC as compared to TOC due to all the movement necessary. Festergut is the exception since I get the mark and everyone collapses on me. Having LB up on multiple targets and the getting more frequest instant cast Pyroblasts that are even more powerful will be HellaFun. I can't wait to see what the crit damage will be now.

Re: Will Fire be back on top post 3.3?

If anything it might become equal in BiS gear.
    After all, most of us have stacked haste since arcane became superior..

almost on the same lvl, but i think arcane is a bit better (1-2%)

I really hope so, Might consider to play again with my mage since i find arcane one of the most boring things that happend to The all might Wizard (Mage)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterwep
    Who is Athene, lol tought you meant the city at first :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimpzilla
    Worlds greatest paladin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stings
    Yes, and scientology is speaking the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Fangose
    I really hope so, Might consider to play again with my mage since i find arcane one of the most boring things that happend to The all might Wizard (Mage)
    1st: Agree
    2nd: fire TTW will do higher dps/dam on most fights, only fights were arcane will be do more dam will be fights like marrowgar toravon and other fights with frost and fire dam, or fights where u need very high burst dam from arcane.

It's close enough that I'll most likely go fire on movement/add fights like Putricide or Deathwhisper and arcane on static/burst ones, like Saurfang and Valitria Dreamwalker.
    At least that would be the ideal scenario.

15+ Year Old Account

Lamora pretty much has it nailed down. Arcane is still ahead in stand and nuke scenarios, but Fire is strong in fights with a lot of movement. There was a simcraft post on the WoW forums a page after GC announced the changes to Empowered Fire and TtW, where Lhivera posted Simcraft results with the changes and there was a 500 DPS swing either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamora
    It's close enough that I'll most likely go fire on movement/add fights like Putricide or Deathwhisper and arcane on static/burst ones, like Saurfang and Valitria Dreamwalker.
    At least that would be the ideal scenario.
    While I agree that fire will be better for movement/add fights, I don't think Deathwhisper would be such a case. Unless you're doing heroic mode, the adds die so fast that LB won't go off. Most guilds put ranged on the boss, so the only time you have to move is for DnD or shades.

This is what I'll most likely be going come 3.3.3:

Lord Mar: Toss up, Fire has dots to tick and pyros to throw during Bonestorm if he goes out of range, but that isn't too often.
    Lady Deathwhisper: Arcane
    Gunship: Fire, can you say LB spam?
    Saurfang: Arcane
    Festergut: Arcane
    Rotface: Arcane
    Putricide: Fire
    BPQ: Fire, better range, and the fight does have some more movement in it.
    BQL: Arcane
    VRW: Arcane
    Sindragosa: Arcane with IA if you have it. Fire might be attractive if you don't since it has a longer cast time which helps managing the debuff. Also, I've noticed that a FB/pyro combo only results in 1 stack instead of 2. This may be the result of my higher latency however.
    Lich King: Fire, possibly FFB.

Quote Originally Posted by rathofvol
    Sindragosa: Arcane with IA if you have it. Fire might be attractive if you don't since it has a longer cast time which helps managing the debuff. Also, I've noticed that a FB/pyro combo only results in 1 stack instead of 2.
    I'm fairly certain that there is a short ICD on gaining instability stacks. This happens as arcane too when you missile directly after an AB, or pom an AB after a AB.

Also if their dps is very similar, then "stand still" fights it wouldn't really matter, arcane would win on quick switch burns (valithiria, saurfang), and fire would win on pretty much anything with movement. Fire would probably win on festergut, btw, because of malleable goo + spores. Talking heroic, obviously, because nobody cares about the best dps spec in normal anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by rathofvol
    While I agree that fire will be better for movement/add fights, I don't think Deathwhisper would be such a case. Unless you're doing heroic mode, the adds die so fast that LB won't go off. Most guilds put ranged on the boss, so the only time you have to move is for DnD or shades.

This is what I'll most likely be going come 3.3.3:

Lord Mar: Toss up, Fire has dots to tick and pyros to throw during Bonestorm if he goes out of range, but that isn't too often.
    Lady Deathwhisper: Arcane
    Gunship: Fire, can you say LB spam?
    Saurfang: Arcane
    Festergut: Arcane
    Rotface: Arcane
    Putricide: Fire
    BPQ: Fire, better range, and the fight does have some more movement in it.
    BQL: Arcane
    VRW: Arcane
    Sindragosa: Arcane with IA if you have it. Fire might be attractive if you don't since it has a longer cast time which helps managing the debuff. Also, I've noticed that a FB/pyro combo only results in 1 stack instead of 2. This may be the result of my higher latency however.
    Lich King: Fire, possibly FFB.
    fire is superior for bql due to huge ignite ticks.

10+ Year Old Account

I don't play a Mage, but isn't the picture perfect raiding Mage able to play both specs depending on the fight? Instead of staying with one spec only.
    Then he fapped to his own pseudo-intellectualism and no one ever loved him. Ever.

The End

15+ Year Old Account

I feel like a noob now playing Aracane .. only interessting about Aracane is DMP, wich is almost wasteable imho.

I rly rly rly wish they would bring fire back, much beter graphix, arcane .. lol 4x ab and am .. roflwtffaceroll
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

•Empowered Fire: This talent now also applies to Pyroblast damage.
    •Torment the Weak: This talent now also applies to Pyroblast damage.

Fire, here i come again!

/discuss

Whether it's "on top" or not, I think I'll be going back, personally. Arcane has certainly not grown on me.

It'll likely never be better as it is now, since the buffs are there but they're not MASSIVE. Besides, if you love DPS numbers you'll stay arcane.

I always have a FB spec as my 2nd spec and tried it on 25man ICC the other day, there were a couple of fights were I topped meters (Marrowgar & Putricide) and for the rest I was last compared to the rest of the mages. With this little buff, I think that Fire will gain a much deserved boost.

And TBH, I love Arcane but it's getting kinda boring. Once I tasted Fire, I didn't want to go back

Miss Fire :'(

Might I just add:
    PEW PEW MAI FIREBALLS!!!!
    So stoked to be going fire again!!
    War doesn't decide who's right, It decides who's left.
    FOR PONY!!!

What i wouldnt mind is elemental build becoming viable and more spells for it... ah, well...
    "I think some of our best class designs come out when a mediocre player can get X performance out of the class with a simple rotation, but an exceptional players can coax slightly > X damage by doing a more complex rotation." - Ghostcrawler
    Its official, there is no skill in wow nor is it designed to require it, stop wasting time reading/making guides and just face-roll, you will just do "slightly" less dps.

I miss the fire days! Allthough stats are fixed for arcane now... Its gonna be a bitch to get my hit rating back up.