Is Paladin for me?

Hello. I played off and on for the past couple years. I played a Rogue and Warlock during Vanilla/TBC but have taken long breaks just to mess around on them. I'd like to make a character and play it as my main without any alts etc, so I was thinking about playing a hybrid. I enjoy smashing stuff with a weapon, so that would narrow it to Paladin/DK/Warrior. Warriors seem weak from a solo perspective imo, and I'd like to be able to jump in and solo content without needing a pocket healer. So then it's down to DK and Paladin...

They both can tank or dps well, and are fairly decent in PvP. I'm not looking to be OP, so that doesn't matter to me as much. I'll mainly do BGs/World PvP/PvE... with maybe some arenas tossed in there, but I'm not a huge arena enthusiast, so it's not a big deal.

The main differences I see are:

1. Resource System -- DKs never go OOM -- though there are times when you're resource limited. Paladins start out fully charged and it looks like its much harder to go OOM than in say, BC..
    2. Tanking in general -- seems like DKs have an easier time with AoE and Paladins with single target ... anyone clarify this for me?
    3. DKs seem to be better vs Casters, whereas Paladins are better vs Melee.. no?

Anything I'm missing?

Re: Is Paladin for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Korivan
    Hello. I played off and on for the past couple years. I played a Rogue and Warlock during Vanilla/TBC but have taken long breaks just to mess around on them. I'd like to make a character and play it as my main without any alts etc, so I was thinking about playing a hybrid. I enjoy smashing stuff with a weapon, so that would narrow it to Paladin/DK/Warrior. Warriors seem weak from a solo perspective imo, and I'd like to be able to jump in and solo content without needing a pocket healer. So then it's down to DK and Paladin...

They both can tank or dps well, and are fairly decent in PvP. I'm not looking to be OP, so that doesn't matter to me as much. I'll mainly do BGs/World PvP/PvE... with maybe some arenas tossed in there, but I'm not a huge arena enthusiast, so it's not a big deal.

The main differences I see are:

1. Resource System -- DKs never go OOM -- though there are times when you're resource limited. Paladins start out fully charged and it looks like its much harder to go OOM than in say, BC..
    2. Tanking in general -- seems like DKs have an easier time with AoE and Paladins with single target ... anyone clarify this for me?
    3. DKs seem to be better vs Casters, whereas Paladins are better vs Melee.. no?

Anything I'm missing?
    If you go oom as a prot paladin you are doing something wrong.

The difference between my AoE and single target threat rotation is consecration, which BTW I can still use on heavier hitting bosses or on short fights. The only advantage is Frost DKs have more snap agro. But warriors have better burst AoE threat too.

Flip a coin.

If your going to casually play i would suggest paladin. They have a lot of flexibility in terms of tanking, and dpsing and you have the third option to heal, which the DK and warrior do not.

Paladin is prolly the easiest to pick up and play and enjoy as well. Dks require some thought with runes and runic power whereas paladins are pretty much just mashing 4 buttons when their CDS are up. Cant comment on warrior tanking since ive never played a warrior before.

As for pvp ret/prot/ pret paladins are king of the melee. 1v1 they can solo any melee class, probably have the easiest time with hunters and the best chance against casters as well (so long as los exists).

So paladin is the easiest to pick up and play and enjoy and the most versatile, but thats just my opinion

Another question you may want to ask yourself is "Will I be doing any healing?" If the answer is yes, Pally is your pick. If no...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedh
    Flip a coin.
    RIP Knight-Lieutenant Nosredneh; LvL 70 Dwarf Retribution Paladin, Vanilla-End BC.

1st ever Epic- http://www.wowhead.com/?item=11726 (lvl 56, won over a hunter.)
    followed by
    http://www.wowhead.com/?item=19323 when I dinged 60.

Unless you plan on being a healer. DK should be your choice.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

I would go with the tank that has a shield... tends to be easier to be healed.. at least from my perspective >.<

10+ Year Old Account

Both Dk and pala are fun to play on al specs my main is a ret paladin and have frost Dk dps

Dk is more fun if you like procs and more stuff to watch

Paladin is more easy and more support

If you just wanna go plain easy DPS go paladin if you wand it little harder with more procs and stuff to watch go DK like said before you have the runes and runic power to look at cooldowns and for frost spec some procs

For tanking wel i just like paladin more in that roll just becas of the shield both dk and paladin are good AoE tanks only DK have more to use agains casters what i rly mis on my paladin in both pve and pvp

also dunno if you already have paladin on high level but i find my self that the first 50 levels of paladins is DAMN boring not much spells and wel DK you can just go and start on level 55

Hope this helped you

The weapon of my choice are great balls of fire!

Not sure about healing, but I guess the more options available the better. I'd probably dps most and maybe make a second spec as prot?

Quote Originally Posted by jarmale
    Both Dk and pala are fun to play on al specs my main is a ret paladin and have frost Dk dps

Dk is more fun if you like procs and more stuff to watch

Paladin is more easy and more support

If you just wanna go plain easy DPS go paladin if you wand it little harder with more procs and stuff to watch go DK like said before you have the runes and runic power to look at cooldowns and for frost spec some procs

For tanking wel i just like paladin more in that roll just becas of the shield both dk and paladin are good AoE tanks only DK have more to use agains casters what i rly mis on my paladin in both pve and pvp

also dunno if you already have paladin on high level but i find my self that the first 50 levels of paladins is DAMN boring not much spells and wel DK you can just go and start on level 55

Hope this helped you
    Nah, I'd be leveling from scratch, but I'd rather put in the extra time for a class I'd enjoy....

I'm thinking about Blood Elf.. I've never played one and Horde seems like a nice change of pace.. my other two characters were both Human.

DKs are typically stronger dps in equal gear from my experience. And as far as tanking goes, unless you plan on just doing heroics for the rest of your life, there isn't much of a difference between DKs & Pallies in a raid-situation

Quote Originally Posted by Korivan
    Not sure about healing, but I guess the more options available the better. I'd probably dps most and maybe make a second spec as prot?
    If thats your road, I'd still say pally(but I'm biased). The utility of being able to run out of combat and throw a big heal to a teammate is just too handy to pass up in my eyes.
    RIP Knight-Lieutenant Nosredneh; LvL 70 Dwarf Retribution Paladin, Vanilla-End BC.

1st ever Epic- http://www.wowhead.com/?item=11726 (lvl 56, won over a hunter.)
    followed by
    http://www.wowhead.com/?item=19323 when I dinged 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Pigeon88
    If thats your road, I'd still say pally(but I'm biased). The utility of being able to run out of combat and throw a big heal to a teammate is just too handy to pass up in my eyes.
    Ah, that is very true..

I don't want to roll Human again, and I'm not fond of Draenei/Dwarf.. guess I'll go BE. :P

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Doirdyn
    DKs are typically stronger dps in equal gear from my experience. And as far as tanking goes, unless you plan on just doing heroics for the rest of your life, there isn't much of a difference between DKs & Pallies in a raid-situation
    experience is subjective. from a theoretical perspective ret pallys do more damage in icc.

play pally. ad is godmode.
    And Christ said to his disciples, "I shall grant you eternal Salvation!"
    The disciples fell to their knees and replied, "Give us kings n00b!".

The difference is the amount of spells for what you need/want.

The DK is mainly a Tank/DPS. His spells focus on that, giving him a good amount of abilities for both. So you can expect a lot of different attack spells if you play one. Not only will they have a good amount of attacks, they have a good amount of defensive spells (Seeing as they are a tank too), such as Anti Magic Sheild/Zone, and the like (I don't care what the popular spec is, I'm just throwing it out there).

The Paladin is a Hybrid that allows him to have spells for Tank, DPS, and healing. So, by removing some potential attack/defense spells, he gains healing abilities, such as Lay on Hands or Holy Light. Going as a Pally you can expect to have a wider range of abilities that can help you when they are needed (such as a decent heal when needed, as opposed to the smaller one a DK would have).

TL;DR- If you want more abilities for attacking, go DK. If you want more abilities for various situations (both Defensive and Offensive), go Pally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ascal
    experience is subjective. from a theoretical perspective ret pallys do more damage in icc.

play pally. ad is godmode.
    theoretical mean on tank and spank fight.. it lack those in practice (not that i hate that part, fight are more interesting but it suck that we have that ramp up time..)

AW!!!!!11111

no but seriously, paladins are rather boring (but stupidly easy) to level, but can be quite fun at max level depending on what spec you play, and how you play it (tanking heroics 4 pulls at a time gets interesting )

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dethecus&n=Solandrys