Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Boomkin Lack Of Threat Reduction

Quote Originally Posted by Telmenari
    Cower does nothing btw. It's like 10k less threat on a 10 second cooldown.. which is nothing when any decent cat shreds for 12k+.
    Plus, we have to burn 30 energy on it and we can't clearcast it. Honestly, I'd sooner BS+SI than put cower on my bars. :l
    Cower reduces threat by about 2k. But since that's nothing to a kitty, I'm glad to see at least some boomkins are using it :P

I've never even met a feral druid with cower on their bars...
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Melonberry
    Cower reduces threat by about 2k. But since that's nothing to a kitty, I'm glad to see at least some boomkins are using it :P

I do, hoping it someday gets fixed.

If you have a rogue/hunter in the raid just make sure they aren't being lazy and MD the tank. The tank also gets that 50% swing speed debuff from the Frost breath so that
    will lower the tank threat. Frost Breath
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by Khad
    We run with really talented tanks with really really nice gear. Iv had agro broblems.

Generally speaking agro is not an issue, but with some rng luck and/or buffed nuke phase im nocking at the door. Just lay down on the nuke part, refresh dots maybe re do IFF, check if some one needs your innervate. You should be back on the safe side in few seconds.

Not that we really really need a agro reduction button, i wouldnt mind if we would get one.

For all who say that tank is doing something wrong: maybe you (or your guilds) balance druids are the ones not palying to their full potential. Im top 5 in agro most of the time. Right there with locks.

Khad

Or your tanks are doing something wrong...

Doesn't matter if we start out with BL and I get straight into lunar eclipse, no way I'm pulling aggro (or well it can happen with the 2 not so good tanks we use from time to time). I can peak at 20k dps in the beginning of the fight (a non-gimmick one that is) and the tanks are still waaaay ahead on aggro, but yeah I'm still top 5 in threat most of the time and it just isn't an issue.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Lilixer
    try playing a warlock.

Threat is still not fixed, even with our omg amazing cd....*cough*
    When will Soulshatter get fixed or is it "working as intended"?

I read between the lines and will say what the OP wants to hear:

WOAHZ you must be doing SHITLOADS of damage!!! Because I never seen any boomkin in our raids overagro the tank and they pop out 9k dps too allready O.O

Quote Originally Posted by Checkviller

Moonkins dont have a threat reducing ability, true that... but they do have a passive talent which gives what? 9-10% less threat?
    It's 30%, same as elemental.

Quote Originally Posted by assilley
    Its primarily beginning of the fight, sindragosa has been the biggest issue for me, and like i think i said, its mainly after hitting some big starfire crits that omen starts going mental. I had vigi on me to the OT and his threat on auto attack was going through the roof. LDW can be a problem for anyone but its something you come prepared for anyways, penalised for pulling some sweet SF crits is a bit of a kick in the arse for how eclipses work

Slowing down a bit at the start will make a difference, but when we are lacking in some dps from other players, every little bit counts towards trying to beat enrage timers. My main point to it is I have vigi on me, I'm sitting 2nd to 3rd on DPS behind mage and even with ele shammy and yet its my name up there on omen screaming at me to stop. I'll speak to the tanks and see what they thing, who is giving them the most trouble in threat
    Mages aren't going to be threat kings, esp. if they're arcane (as almost all are lately). Up to 40% threat redux and invis = no threat problems.

Elem have wind shear if necessary, so that could be why they're competing with you for DPS but behind you on threat.

Boom does not have a threat problem, though. You have to out-TPS a tank by something like 70% to pull, if you're talented and staying at range. If you've got vigilance on as well? More like 80-85% to pull.

If you are still riding threat, then one of these things is true:
    1) You just got a lucky streak, which everyone has to deal with. No boomkin problem.
    2) Your tanks are bad. Not a boomkin problem.
    3) Hunters/rogues not MDing/Totting, or if they are, not using it effectively. Not a boomkin problem.

My suggestions:
    1) Talk to your rogues/hunters about using MD/tot later in the fight than usual, to help keep the tank ahead. You may need to go to a GM to get the rogues to do this, as it costs them damage if they're trading it.
    2) Check what your tank avg TPS is like without MD/tot. If it's not 5 digits, direct them to places to get help.
    3) If you're pulling on gimmicky fights, deal with it. That happens.

Oh and:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviney
    When will Soulshatter get fixed or is it "working as intended"?
    It works well enough as-is. With the talent buff, you may still sometimes need a salv+vigilance, but you shouldn't be pulling. I say this as someone whose lock (when it was active, retired now) was making WMO records in Uld without pulling stunts. You may need your tanks to step up their game, though.
    [/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by rabbimojo

2) Check what your tank avg TPS is like without MD/tot. If it's not 5 digits, direct them to places to get help.
    No. 10k isn't average without those two (Unless they're warriors). How is a prot paladin supposed to do higher single-target tps? They have one easy rotation and usage of extra damage when possible, but they're not doing 10k average without ever getting MD or ToT. It's not like you can change much, other than trade survival gear for tps gear (Threat meters only usually show correct tps numbers for yourself). I'd love to see you link a parse with a tank doing an average of over 10k tps. Festergut doesn't count.

15+ Year Old Account

I'm not sure what the OP is going after. If you, as a balance druid, are pulling threat, the issue is not with you, it's with your tanks and/or rogues and hunters. You shouldn't need to change anything. Tell them to pro up.

On fights like Deathwhisper, etc, where critting a mob when it comes out for 20k causes you to die, maybe you should think about DPSing LDW for 5 more seconds and THEN switching. We manage to single tank Deathwhisper heroic, and I'm usually one of the highest on threat (because I stay on her the entire time). A salvation will fix that, and if it's still a problem, I'll switch and DPS other mobs for a few seconds.

If there isn't any other mobs to attack, going to cat form and cowering is NOT the solution. That's just plain silly. There's plenty of things you can do to bring down your DPS without doing something like that. Innervate a healer. Force a clearcast and try re-applying DoTs. Sure, clipping DoTs is a DPS loss, but it's less of a DPS loss then just not doing ANYTHING, and a glyphed moonfire has such low front loaded damage, there shouldn't be an issue. If a tank hasn't well surpassed you in threat after three global cooldowns (Forced clearcast, moonfire, insect swarm), find new tanks.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

when i was dual spec balance/resto druid i had a macro that would SS me to cat form and cower...i have no idea to this day how effective it was (tank/heals now) but it was funny seeing people's reactions.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

funny how half the responses are from nondruid dps going moonkin are fine my class is hard on threat.....

If you are not a moonkin go to the boards for the class you play.

Moonkin with a perferct rng will pull off any tank. Simple as that our burst dmg which is technically sustained in the perfect rng situation will slaughter a tank on threat. With a dot up first which is an easy 7 seconds based on global cds i easily pull off tanks that outgear me. 2 pet casts 2 dots, ff, starfall, trinkets and i can pull in my rotation after it all. Its not the tanks seeing how they can tank no issue with anyone else on server.

Moonkin need a threat drop COWER IS NOT A MOONKIN THREAT DROP IF YOU ARGUE IT IS THEN YOU DON'T PLAY MOONKIN sorry but if you lose 5 or more seconds to drop a minimal amount of threat its not for you. 2 seconds of gcd for just shifting then all the time required for the energy to build to use it and get into melee range.... yeah its not viable don't say but you could when you lose at least 5 seconds of dps to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Telmenari
    Cower does nothing btw. It's like 10k less threat on a 10 second cooldown.. which is nothing when any decent cat shreds for 12k+.
    Plus, we have to burn 30 energy on it and we can't clearcast it. Honestly, I'd sooner BS+SI than put cower on my bars. :l
    This really, never heard of boomkins complaining about threat. If any spec needs passive threatreduction its ferals.

Quote Originally Posted by Endler89
    funny how half the responses are from nondruid dps going moonkin are fine my class is hard on threat.....

Moonkin with a perferct rng will pull off any tank. Simple as that our burst dmg which is technically sustained in the perfect rng situation will slaughter a tank on threat. With a dot up first which is an easy 7 seconds based on global cds i easily pull off tanks that outgear me. 2 pet casts 2 dots, ff, starfall, trinkets and i can pull in my rotation after it all. Its not the tanks seeing how they can tank no issue with anyone else on server.

Moonkin need a threat drop COWER IS NOT A MOONKIN THREAT DROP IF YOU ARGUE IT IS THEN YOU DON'T PLAY MOONKIN sorry but if you lose 5 or more seconds to drop a minimal amount of threat its not for you. 2 seconds of gcd for just shifting then all the time required for the energy to build to use it and get into melee range.... yeah its not viable don't say but you could when you lose at least 5 seconds of dps to do it.
    The highest moonkin dps is ~11k. The highest feral is ~13k. Moonkin have the ranged 20% bonus before pulling. I think moonkin have lower threat as well since feral doesn't have a talented reduction.

If the moonkin dies, the melee all died a while ago.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

10+ Year Old Account

The only fight where i get very to pull agro is on Rotface, and if my Rotation runs like clockwork.

If you're getting close to overagroing, stop Dps'ing. Dead Dps is no Dps.
    Then he fapped to his own pseudo-intellectualism and no one ever loved him. Ever.

The End

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Lilixer
    try playing a warlock.

Threat is still not fixed, even with our omg amazing cd....*cough*
    Soulshatter needs a lowerd cd

15+ Year Old Account

Moonkin do not need a threat drop.

If you're pulling off your tanks, find new ones.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Melonberry

Moonkins shouldn't be using cower.

No, we don't need a threat drop. Even if you are doing 12k DPS, you will still only do 8400 threat. But you are probably not going to stay at 12k DPS unless you are massively well geared.

The only, only, only time we might be at risk of pulling aggro is at the start of a fresh mob or boss. But this shouldn't be a problem on most pulls, since we (should) start each fight with treants, starfall, FF and dots, giving the tank a good five second lead until we start doing any kind of nuke. Even if you then get a bloodlust, pop a potion of speed, get lunar eclipse right off the bat, your tank still has a 5 second lead, and with misdirects as well, there should be no fear of pulling aggro.

Quote Originally Posted by Condemner
    This really, never heard of boomkins complaining about threat. If any spec needs passive threatreduction its ferals.
    Cat form has -30% threat reduction as is (same as rogues). Im not saying its enough, because quite frankly, i wouldn't be one to argue ferals, but you *do* have some :P

Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    Cat form has -30% threat reduction as is (same as rogues). Im not saying its enough, because quite frankly, i wouldn't be one to argue ferals, but you *do* have some :P
    I know we have some, but it's quite useless. Everytime i gain threat or aggro even, then i use cower, but i refuse to use cower like 30% of my rotation. Using it once, sometimes doents get me off aggro, and if it does, i'l get aggro back in just a few secs, since like everything is critting like hell .

In the GCD that it takes to cower, you will auto attack once (even with zero haste), and if you are well geared enough to be threat capped by ur tanks, then that auto attack will completely negate the cower. Your better off just running away for a second or two (throw some1 an innervate, b res, etc)

Very rare to see threat to be a problem in raids... Sure, in heroics I often take more dmg overall than the tank, but that isnt much of an issue.
    A proper maintank in icc wont have any threat problems. Of course there are exceptions, but here I find that other classes struggle as much as me. Primarily I mean Deathwhisper heroic (Though I did get aggro and oneshotted on normal a couple of weeks ago :P) which is a huge threatbased encounter.