Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

What class requires the most keybindings?

G'day,

The other day I was playing my DK again since a long while, and specced him into Frost tanking. After some playing though, I realized that some of my keybindings were... Sub-optimal. Control+2 for Frost Strike, Shift+MiddleMouse (sometimes I had the ctrl still pressed and then pressed middlemouse, which made my toon go on autorun), Shift+S for Mind Freeze (cant do it while running around properly), Icy Touch on Shift+E, Death Grip on E (miss the shift button, and you're pulling aggro. Mostly a problem when DPS'ing ofcourse), etc.
    So I tried looking for better places to map my buttons to, but simply couldnt find them. Then I decided to try out shifting from wasd to esdf as walkbuttons to free up some additional buttons. I also realised that though this wasnt entirely necessary on my other characters, I might as well do it on them too. After all, I was using some stuff like ctrl+r for abilities, which simply wasnt optimal. But, it was by no means necessary.

Got a bit sidetracked, but my question is - what class actually uses the most skills regularly? And Im not talking about stuff like mark of the wild, Im talking about stuff you use in game.

For the record, Ill try to sum up the Frost DK buttons:

Blood Presence
    Frost Presence
    Unholy Presence
    Horn of Winter
    Icy Touch
    Plague Strike
    Death Grip
    Dark Command (something like that)
    Death and Decay
    Howling Blast
    Frost Strike
    Rune Strike
    Blood Fury (Orc)
    Trinket 1
    Trinket 2
    Pestilence
    Empower Rune Weapon
    Anti-Magic Shell
    Blood Strike
    Death Strike
    Mind Freeze
    Strangulate
    Blood Boil
    Chains of Ice
    Obliterate
    Icebound Fortitude
    Blood Tap
    Summon Ghoul (in combination with)
    Death Pact
    Death Coil
    Unbreakable Armor
    Army of the Dead
    Raise Ally
    And possibly:
    Death Chill
    Lichborne
    Hungering Cold

Bringing the grand total up to 33-36. You could argue that stuff like Army of the Dead doesnt need a keybinding, and then Raise Ally might be a tad bit useless, but for AotD its handy to have it anyway, and Raise Ally is just fun ;p Maybe even for Death Coil and Chains of Ice, but there are instances where you just want to throw an AoE attack at something but you cant/shouldnt use howling blast on it, and Chains of Ice is simply handy in case both taunt(ish) abilities are on CD and a ranged has pulled aggro.

Slightly longer post than I expected, but the TLDR version's in the title!

Re: What class requires the most keybindings?

My Shaman has the most of my characters, by far. Too many situational totems to go along with the spells, heals and other abilites.

15+ Year Old Account

Either shaman or hunter

PvP Mages. I pretty much have every single thing on 5 bars binded
    Each time you think about giving Paladins the ability to duel wield, god kills a kitten in each of the parallel universes. Twice.

my bet on hunter

imo druids in first then shammys in second place.
    The Ocean Tastes Salty Cause Everyone Peess In It.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myte342
    Dear Blizzard,

* * Please nerf Rock. But Paper is ok.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -Scissors

Hunter

shamans of course. add totems to whatever class you think has the most, and you get shaman

I've got a level 80 shaman myself too, and in my opinion, though they do have a lot of abilities, they dont necessarily need optimal keybindings, because a totem needs to be placed once, and then you can leave it for a while, so save for totems, there's not that much to bind. Except for in PvP of course. Whereas the frost tank needs to be able to use pretty much every skill frequently/quickly.

And Druids dont have that many keybindings. I have no problem keybinding all my skills on my druid at least.

Out of the classes I've played enough to get a good amount of keybinds, Shaman. I've played some alts well into their 40s without filling up the 1-= part of my bars, but my Shaman's 1-= bar was full by level 20.

Shamans

A good paladin should have quite a few too.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Hunters if you want to play em well. I have filled all toon specific macro slots on my hunter and I'm using some shared just so I don't need 50 billion buttons, and still I have all 5 standard bars crammed with stuff I use regularly. Albeit I only have keybinds on 3 full bars, with some of them utilizing even more variations through macros, that's a whole lot of shit to keep track of. My Shaman also has the same amount of keybinds as my Hunter and all 5 bars are filled there as well, but I don't have a single macro for my Shaman, while my Hunter has like 16. Also worth mentioning is that my DK has the least keybinds of all my 5 lvl 80s, both as dps and tank.

1. Shaman.
    2. Hunter.
    3. The rest.

Hunter, they have mass amounts of abilities that will overwhelm the average noob.

I've played shaman as my original main in vanilla, but currently my main is druid at 80 and the shaman is still 63.
    I also have an 80 mage, 80 death knight and 80 hunter.
    While I've played all the other classes none of those are at 80, so I can't speak for them.

I use the same number of keybinds for each character: 1,2,3,4,5,6,G,E,F,R,Q,C,X,mouse Up, mouse Down, mouse button1, mouse button2,F1,F2,F3,F4, and a SHIFT variant to every one of those either bound or macro'd.

The only toon that doesn't work for is my hunter. I still have to click on at least 4 things on my hunter that I would really ideally want to have keybound. :-\

So my vote is for HUNTER.

The druid might be close if forms didn't get their own action bar, but they do, so it's pretty much a non-issue.
    Death knight is easily covered by those bindings.
    The mage might be close if not for the fact that depending on what spec you are, you stop using certain spells and don't need them on your bar.
    I can guess that at 80 the Shaman is probably about like the Hunter, if you want to be good in pvp.

I use 1 through 6, with ctrl and shift as modifiers, that's 18 buttons. Well, I play a druid, so wether you're in bear, cat, tree or boomkin you don't use the same buttons.

For other chars, I use the same principle with 1 through 0 (+ the 2 after 0 don't know what they are on a US keyboard), keeping the important spells on 1-6 (ex. on my tankadin, on the right end I've got like heals, Undead/Demon fear, etc things you do not use that often in pve).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark
    I dont know why everyone expects thing to be rebuilt after a cataclysm. Last time i checked, earthquakes dont fix roofs.

Rogues have a ton, as do hunters.
    Strikke 80 Holy Paladin/Darkspear US

first of all I'll be honest and admit I mostly play pve (but I play every single class but warrior)
    druids definitely have fewest binds so lol at however said they have most (every form has it's own bar so each bind can represent 2-3 abilities)

I think hunters have most binds
    I've recently started lvling one (lvl 73 atm) and he's reason I had to make new binds for first time in long long time
    basically he's one of few classes that uses abilities from every single tree, combine that with pet's ability and you have a winner
    as for shamans and their totems, you can't tell me you're using all of them... sentry totem everyone? usually you have best combo (6-8 of them) for certain spec and that's it.

I've got well over 30 binds on my hunter, and still some situational crap that I have to click, simply because I'm out of places to bind. If I had a 15 button mouse, I wouldn't have to click that stuff anymore, but... eh. Granted, I've only got 18 buttons, many of my binds are hidden and/or on modifiers. I'm having to CONSTANTLY tweak my UI and bars just to make it managable. One of the most difficult things I ever did was make a proper pvp spec and then try to get all of my binds to translate properly...

Meh all classes have fair amount of skills to use, but you hardly need more binds then a full bar +2, rest are all circonstancial that can be clicked or changed according the what you are doing at the moment
    "I think some of our best class designs come out when a mediocre player can get X performance out of the class with a simple rotation, but an exceptional players can coax slightly > X damage by doing a more complex rotation." - Ghostcrawler
    Its official, there is no skill in wow nor is it designed to require it, stop wasting time reading/making guides and just face-roll, you will just do "slightly" less dps.