Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[HELP ME] Leveling a Protection Warrior

DISCLAIMER: You might find bad written english in this post, but bear with me, as it is not my native language.

Hi all, and thanks in advance for reading this.

First off: Answers like:
    Noob! That is easy
    I IZ L33TZ0RZ!
    and
    Troll (filler)
    are not welcome here.

I am currently leveling a prot warrior, as my newest "project" and I've found that I am soon to hit level 80.

I do have a few problems regarding the warrior, I will list them beneath:
    • Spec - How should I spec my warrior, for maximum TPS outcome.
    • Rotation(s) - Is there any special rotations that I have to learn? For bosses (MT)? For bosses (OT (If there is any difference))? For Trash (Groups)?
    • Gear - Badge gear... in what order should I buy things? (I am thinking Triumph badges here, I am more or less into the frost badges system )
    • Gear 2 - Crafted gear - is it worth it? What would you compare it to?
    • Enchants - What to enchant different items with?
    • Gems - Any gem (beside Solid Health-Point gems?
    • Buffs - What potions, flasks, elixirs, foodbuff, etc. etc. would be prefered?
    • Special Abilities - Who would you put Vigilance on? The one with better gear? Explain...
    • Caps - For god sake... What should be capped? How much do I need to cap X-stat or Y-stat? Being slightly/alot over the cap, does it matter?

I do know a few things myself, atleast I think... I am no genuis and that is why I am now asking you for help... So please, fellow forum-posters in the Warrior Section... Tell me something I do not know (You can say almost anything, and I'd believe you)

I've farmed a few materials (for ToC-tanker pieces) - was this a stupid or a good idea?

Hope you can help me,
    Grindyhame

EDIT1: Added "Buffs" to the list
    Quote Originally Posted by Nye View Post
    "Locked by <insert name> because <insert reason>".

Re: [HELP ME] Leveling a Protection Warrior

I have heard that there is a magical way to find information on the internet...

I found it!

I did ask the community, and not google.

Quote Originally Posted by Grindyhame
    I did ask the community, and not google.
    So... you are ignoring information that is widely available so that someone here can spell it out for you? Ok >.>

How about any of the various guides stickied at the top of this very forum? Don't want to read those either?

No. Yet most of the guides, atleast what I've read, seem to confuse me.

Excuse me, 'ma. Just trying to get better.

Whilst I cannot give you any help, Grindyham (), I will at least say that no matter what you say, the first few posts are, almost always without fail, troll posts that the second poster takes seriously. Anyways, he asked for help, give him help - he seems nicer than most people who ask questions, at least.
    Soviet Russia was merely a setback!

Relys Sunwalker
    Rakzor Frostwolf
    Descle Dubraig

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account

As for spec you'll want to find the spec that has deep wounds in arms. Just armory some prot warriors and I'm sure you'll find the spec.

As for enchants you want to enchant stamina and threat. If you are below the defense minimum cap of 540 you can enchant for defense. If you can't get defense or stamina enchants, agility is also an option for something like your cloak.

As for gems socket stamina, unless you happen to be below the defense minimum then socket for defense. If a socket bonus gives 9 stamina or more socket for the appropriate gem color.

Buffs you'll want well fed with stamina, armor and stamina potions, kings, fort, motw, etc are also good to have.

Special abilities like vigilance I used on who ever will put out the most TPS. If all people are geared equally this is often times a hunter, but other classes will also produce a lot of threat. If you use omen feel free to change who it's on mid fight if need be.

As for caps there really aren't caps, but more like minimums. The only real one you need to worry about is what people refer to as the defense cap (which is really a minimum). The number is 540 defense though.

Anyway you asked a lot of questions so if I missed something maybe someone else will answer it.

I was not trolling, this is widely available information. The guide even lists each stat in order of priority, which then tells you which stats to cap first, etc. It lists all enchants that should be used, it gives cookie cutter specs, spells out the rotation for each. how could anyone possible make it any more clear?

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Grindyhame
    No. Yet most of the guides, atleast what I've read, seem to confuse me.

Excuse me, 'ma. Just trying to get better.
    no, you are trying to force others to make you better.
    you have access to ALL the information you require, but you don´t want to use it. you want the "community" to post everything that is already writen elewhere.
    When you read all the guides and stickys and still have questions, thats when you can ask for help.
    In the end the winner is still the last man standing.

One of your 1st priority will be to get your defense to at least 535(540 for raids) and hit heroics hard, while you're there pick up whatever drops as any blue 200 ilvl gear will be better than what you have. Craft some blues to get the magical 540 def, there are the Daunting 2 pieces(gloves and pants) that give an awesome ammount of defense and will be wonderfull for starters. There are also the Tempered Saronite pieces that you would want to replace the weakest pieces of your gear with. Once you've got your defense covered and got at least 25k hp, hit AN heroics and ToC5 normal for the 2 health trinkets, these 2 will make your heroic healer's life much easier at the beggining, also make sure you tell people as you enter a dungeon that you are undergeared and they need to be patient with you.
    From the badge gear, but whatever seems the best upgrade in terms of hp, and armor to you on that moment.

As far as specs are concerned, grab any cookie cutter spec available on google(try the Elitist Jerks Warrior FAQ thread for some ideas) or the stickies at the top of this page and besides that the only thing that I might add is to get an extra Glyph of Cleaving since it will make your life easier in heroics.

For gems, stamina, defense/stamina and defense are the ones you will really care about at the start, later on you would want to help your gear get closer to the hit cap(8% hit) and the expertise soft cap(26 expertise).

For heroics you're probably not going to use elixirs or flasks, but in case you do, you have the HP flask as probably your best choice(both economically and in terms of improvements).

Put vigilance on the guy that does most dps(use recount or judge by gear - gearscore light addon could be usefull since 5.6+ gs melee will overagro you at the start), if someone else overagroes constantly put it on him, usually melees will overagro most often(not always however), fury/arms warriors, ret palas are at the top of that list.

The toc pieces you had crafted will be a godsend as far as your def caping will go.

For pulls and rotations, I always have a plan in mind, make sure you got all your key abilities mapped on buttons so when the pull starts you will do all w/o fail. For aoe melee packs start wich charge > thunder clap > shockwave > shield block and demo shout if they are already chewing your face off(as they will at the beggining), also throw in cleaves as your rage excedes ~40. For packs where you have casters(Old Kingdom, Forge of Souls, Azjol-Nerub etc.) make sure you know who the caster is and either charge > shield bash and then continue as with a melee pull, or heroic throw to silence and then let them come to you(if moving to them puts you in danger to ninja pull). Generally think of it this way, most pulls are thought out to be doable for most tanking classes, so with a good plan, being we are warriors, we have the easiest job, as long as we use all our abilties as soon as we need them. You can also bind and use your raid marks on mobs you intend to have killed 1st(numpad keys is what i use).
    Last but not least a common pulling strategy some people use, or other classes, is to use taunting skills to pull, try to avoid that, as much as possible as taunt will most surely be needed after the initial stages of the pull are behind you.

IMMA CHARGIN' MA' VENGEANCE!

Honestly...

* Spec - How should I spec my warrior, for maximum TPS outcome.
    Answer: http://elitistjerks.com/f81/t88685-3...st_post_later/

* Rotation(s) - Is there any special rotations that I have to learn? For bosses (MT)? For bosses (OT (If there is any difference))? For Trash (Groups)?
    Answer: http://elitistjerks.com/f81/t88685-3...st_post_later/

* Gear - Badge gear... in what order should I buy things? (I am thinking Triumph badges here, I am more or less into the frost badges system Wink)
    Answer: http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...or-Cheat-Sheet (for the old gear that you are after)

* Gear 2 - Crafted gear - is it worth it? What would you compare it to?
    Answer: It obviously depends on your choices and what gear you can get at the time.

* Enchants - What to enchant different items with?
    Just look at your stat weight values and go from there (Google!)

* Gems - Any gem (beside Solid Health-Point gems?
    See above

* Buffs - What potions, flasks, elixirs, foodbuff, etc. etc. would be prefered?
    See above

* Special Abilities - Who would you put Vigilance on? The one with better gear? Explain...
    Wow, right in the ability description! Who would have thought? - http://www.wowwiki.com/Vigilance

* Caps - For god sake... What should be capped? How much do I need to cap X-stat or Y-stat? Being slightly/alot over the cap, does it matter?
    Two topics above yours, seriously. http://www.mmo-champion.com/class-wa...u-%28guide%29/

Everyone here has stated all the right stuff. The only thing I can add is with Vig. I watch my threat meter. sometimes you have to switch vig around to people that start to catch up to you. Once you have better gear... people we have a hard time catching you.

For the people being douches... really? You dont have anything to do better with your life? You know you didnt have to look at this topic lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathleaper
    For the people being douches... really? You dont have anything to do better with your life? You know you didnt have to look at this topic lol.
    Yeah, you're right; people who point out the fact that all of this information is readily available (hell, right above this topic!) are douche bags. Why even sticky threads when we can just reiterate the same information over and over and over and over? The OP is just being lazy, not a single one of his/her questions does not have an answer that can be found in less than 10 seconds.

You came on this topic just to be a douche.... pretty sure he saw the topic.... didnt need mr. obvious

You came on this topic just to be a douche.... pretty sure he saw the topic.... didnt need mr. obvious
    So... you're pretty sure he saw the topics that answer his questions, yet asked them all anyway? Ok, that makes all kinds of sense.

Anyhow, I will leave now as I actually do not want this to keep going down the path it is currently. I just have a problem with lazy people who expect others to do all of the work for them. Hope to God we don't queue for the same random...

These forums really needs to get rid of all these smarta** thats what is wrong with them but whatever.... Anyways hopefully this info helped you out... good luck with tanking.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Biged781
    So... you're pretty sure he saw the topics that answer his questions, yet asked them all anyway? Ok, that makes all kinds of sense.

Anyhow, I will leave now as I actually do not want this to keep going down the path it is currently. I just have a problem with lazy people who expect others to do all of the work for them. Hope to God we don't queue for the same random...
    Stop making yourself look like a complete fool and cut the OP some slack, he asked for some advice and he was very nice about it. Good riddance to you, who cares what you think?

These forums really needs to get rid of all these smarta** thats what is wrong with them but whatever.... Anyways hopefully this info helped you out... good luck with tanking.
    One sure way is to stop this kind of conversation that is not towards the original topic and just report the guy to a moderator.

IMMA CHARGIN' MA' VENGEANCE!

Quote Originally Posted by Griefel
    One sure way is to stop this kind of conversation that is not towards the original topic and just report the guy to a moderator.
    From what i have seen the mods CONTINOUSLY remind people of the search function. I doubt seriously that they have a problem with people that answer a question with "here is a link to all of the information that you require".
    Why type out a full length in-depth sticky?
    The fact that OP said that "yep, ive seen the stickies and im gana ask this question anyway" is frustrating to a great many people that visit this forum. Why not ask these questions in the original thread?
    Sure i applaud the OP for asking in a seemingly innocent manner and seeking advice, but i also applaud that people have pointed to a thread with every single answer...so whats wrong with that?

honestly, search function is there for a reason. hell there are some pretty damn good stickies on the warrior forums already about this stuff. seems to me OP just did not use them.
    http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6