Page 1 of 3
LastLast

90's catoons Vs Todays cartoons.

We all have to admit that the 90's had the best cartoons, but how would you compare it with todays.

I honestly think today's cartoons are very boring. Even caliou is better then some of the things i see today.

Re: 90's catoons Vs Todays cartoons.

Modern Cartoons. Fart jokes. Fart jokes. Fart jokes. Fart jokes. Fart jokes.

1990's Cartoons were alright.

1930's Cartoons were win.

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni
    Modern Cartoons. Fart jokes. Fart jokes. Fart jokes. Fart jokes. Fart jokes.

1990's Cartoons were alright.

1930's Cartoons were win.

Yeah, i just find the art style very bad now in most cartoons also. Man i remember Doug the 1990 show. It was awsome.

90s had some good cartoons... I never liked Ren and Stimpy. I didn't like that artwork. Watching the cartoons in the 2000s I think I only like Fairy Odd Parents

Now if you want some good cartoons... check out the 80s

Ren and stimpy i watched on and off when it was on tv. 90's had a very good list of programs from morning until night.

You had like johnny bravo, scooby doo, Hey arnold, rugrats...

Quote Originally Posted by Inarus
    scooby doo

60s
    Avatar done by my friend Crystal<3

True. Avatar: The Last Airbender was the only decent "modern" cartoon to have came out, and it's done.

But yeah, old stuff was cool. Tom & Jerry, Doug, Looney Toons... I'm still amazed at Tom & Jerry for them not having to make the character talk for the stories to play out. Same could be said for the Road Runner & Coyote lunacy.

Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Modern cartoons do somehow nicely reflect what media reduces the majority of people to: Shallow, narrow minded, less effort but more "fun" stuff like blowing things up big time. Sadly, this not so rarely does reflect the state of mind of many people nowadays, no miracle they have success.

Both, 80's and 90's had some great cartoons. Tom & Jerry, Charlie Brown (or was that even 70's or earlier?), Looney Toons, Dexter's Lab, Jonny Bravo aaand then there was this one very little series, in Germany it was called "Sanchos und Panchos" - two rather dumb frogs. THAT was an amazing cartoon! All of these told stories in a quite witty way, and had all sorts of nice subtle humor on top of the big jokes in them. And they all were more or less "clean", and did not resort to jokes below the waistline for pure effect. Most of them can easily be enjoyed by an adult audience as well, since these are more receptible for the smaller and more hidden fun that kids suck in unconsciously. That really is an indicator of quality story telling, and I rarely see it nowadays. The only example that comes in a similar quality today that I can think of spontaniously would be Sponge Bob.

As for "cartoony" movies, the only bigger company that manages to uphold this level of jokes, in my eyes, is Pixar. They don't really make cartoons, but their overall designs and the way of being funny and telling is not too far from the good old tradition.

And please PLEASE stay away with just ANYthing resembling mangas or even just mangaish style. People that grew up with that might have that low of a threshold anyways, but if you compare their stories and way of drawing to the western oldschool comic, there is quite a gap. Note: Quality of story is not to confuse with complexity of story! (I know I will make many enemies with this statement, but that is just the way with polarizing topics, and if you pick a side.) For me, a lot of the downwards trend started with the adoption of manga styled or actual mangas into the traditional western comics. (Yes, there are quality stories in some, also mostly older mangas, and yes there even are some where it looks like the artists put some more hours into the drawings, but those are not the ones that influenced western comics! They pretty much went down hand in hand since they grabbed each other.)

I mention this with pride as a Finn, show your children some Moomins. Just awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moomin
    Quote Originally Posted by Raunoman
    Only idiots quote themselves

I mention this with pride as a Finn, show your children some Moomins. Just awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moomin
    A lot of other nations then Finland had the Moomins

I strongly recommend the youtube series of videos with 80's and 90's cartoon intro's, I think it's surely around 1½-2 hours of intro's.
    Here's the first one in the 80's intro's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxamnEmIXog

What really amazes me is that some of these intro's have such 'great' music. Good old 80's. They give that awesome epic feeling!

Quote Originally Posted by The Core
    A lot of other nations then Finland had the Moomins
    The Moomins (Swedish: Mumintroll) are the central characters in a series of books and a comic strip by Finnish illustrator and writer Tove Jansson, originally published in Swedish by Schildts in Finland.

The Moomins (Swedish: Mumintroll) are the central characters in a series of books and a comic strip by Finnish illustrator and writer Tove Jansson, originally published in Swedish by Schildts in Finland.
    Which does not mean that other nations didn't have the Moomins in their local TV, right? My country (Germany) had them too. Nobody denies that they were originally from Finland.

Anyway it was (is) certainly a great show for kids.
    Armory - WoW-Heroes - Kirakira kagayaku mirai no hikari!

Okey let's get this straightened then When I said I'm proud of Moomins as a Finn, I didn't imply that only we would have it in our TV. Hell, the TV series was made by the Japanese lads. I simply took pride in it cause they were originally made up by a Finn

people (or the country producing alot of the cartoons *US* ) got way to uptight.

Batman the animated series was one of the last cartoon series to depict realistic looking guns. Even kids cartoons had a story, with depth and some sort of emotional connection.

My little brother watches todays cartoons.. I've watched Chowder and wish I could go to whoever owns cartoon network and punch them in the face. Those bastards too out Toonami for this crap?

It seems that today the state of mind seems to be "Cartoons are for kids and kids love fart jokes".

Atleast we have the internet where we can atleast watch some of our old favorites.

I just want the Noozles back!

Some great old cartoons:

Think some of these are limited to Europe though. So who knows them all?

Quote Originally Posted by seam
    60s
    Yup but it aired also in the 90s and was a nice show to watch on ytv.

Tom and Jerry, I still watch it now on Boomerang ;D

Man i remember tin tin that show was awsome. Omg lets not forget rupert!

Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Which does not mean that other nations didn't have the Moomins in their local TV, right? My country (Germany) had them too. Nobody denies that they were originally from Finland.

Anyway it was (is) certainly a great show for kids.
    They've even been dubbed to Japanese. Go look on youtube :P

Yet again, I'll recommend you all to see the 80's Cartoon Overload, which starts with this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxamnEmIXog

It's over an hour of intro's from 80's cartoons. There's another hour of intro's from the 90's as well. It's like a constant nostalgia trip.

Some of the 80's intro's are clearly inspired by metal Good ol' 80's.