queestion abou pet macroing !

well i have seeing in a lot of forums that a warlock afflic ( or may be all of the specs ) need a pet macro to increase its DPS. this is because (why i understood) is that using a macro for your pet in which you command him to use his DPS abilities (in this case shadow bite) he will use it more often than if you put it in auto cast. this is because of the lag some shit like that i did not get it right (im latin, my english sucks sorry). the problem is that the places i have read this says macroing you pet abilities inside your macros and rotation increases a bit you dps, BUT they dont tell you what to put ... how do i make my pet keep attacking the same target (if im attacking adds) using shadow bite 100% efficiently ( this means more effectively than auto cast due to the lag ).

ok please help me with that and thanks .

Re: queestion abou pet macroing !

I think if you make a macro like

/cast Shadowbolt
    /cast Shadow Bite

it should work? It will cast Shadow Bite, but I don't think it will cast Shadow Bite on the target you currently target (correct me if Í'm wrong, and I guess this is your question).

I think it would be something like

/cast Shadow Bolt
    /cast [target=focus] Shadow Bite

And just have focus on boss or whatever you want to have pet on.
    Tho im not sure about this :P

15+ Year Old Account

Use this macro instead
    /cast spell name
    /cast [@pettarget, exists] [] Shadow Bite

This will have your pet attack the target it is attacking, if it exists. If it doesn't have a target, it attacks your current target.

R.I.P. YARG

Macroing is only effective for pet abilities with a cast time (like imp's bolt). There was a good post at EJ proving that macroing Shadow Bite was actually a dps loss.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by SaiGar
    Macroing is only effective for pet abilities with a cast time (like imp's bolt). There was a good post at EJ proving that macroing Shadow Bite was actually a dps loss.
    I thought this was the case. Thank you for the clarification.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    I thought this was the case. Thank you for the clarification.
    It might be good to update the 3.3 affliction guide with this, many players will put effort into losing DPS right now .

15+ Year Old Account

To put it in perspective:

Instant attacks have only one thing to check - range. Your machine can do some of the math to make sure you are actually facing the correct way and are in range, and let the spell go off.

A cast time spell has several things to check - did the spell finish (ie stopcast or interrupted)? Are you facing the correct way at the end of the cast? Is the target still in front of you? Did your mana get drained in-between start and finish? Is the target still alive? Most of this relies on the server to figure out and coordinate so that a Rogue doesn't have a kick cooldown and you're not interrupted because you have 1000ms latency.

It sucks, but welcome to MMO's.

R.I.P. YARG