Thread: unholy dps

unholy dps

so.. in 25mans - with non hc loot, what is your experience for max dps output on static fights like fester and saurfang?
    i keep finding myself at around 9k - whereas our rogues are now passing 12k.

http://armory.wow-europe.com/charact...ong&cn=Brising

(yes the haste trinket sucks.. but rng = i had mirror of truth before.. so)
    obvious upgrades for me is of course deaths choice and the arp/proc trinket from saurfang.. but alas rng and dkps = meh.

My scourge strikes are at 10k+10k atm, and pulling off optimal rotation, with full buffs.. 2x stoneskin (before pull + BL pop).
    I only clip diseases if theyre at or below 2sec.

Any dks in here passing/matching their equal gear level rogues in dkps?

Re: unholy dps

The haste trinket is not as bad as you may think on static fights, basically once you get past 5 minutes it starts to surpass others, still behind wfs/dc/dbw ofc but it's around 6th or so i believe.

You are gemming expertise as a dk, why? It's not needed, as unholy you have enough spare time that a dodge is not a massive dps loss, blood is different but uh you do not need to be at 26 exp, it is handy yes but far from needed.

You want to keep the cloak, lose the boots, loose the gems, bloodied saronite stompers are bis boots.

Bracers, get polar bears claw bracers, change your belt for the one off valithria, necklace you are gonna want the hit/str one off BQ.
    Change your glove enchant, as unholy 15 str > 44 ap, your abilities scale off str and it's worth like 3.01 or so ap per point so just trumps 44 ap.

Get into a 10 man and get whispering fanged skull, its a very good trinket and far superior to dmc:g

Hoping that your guild runs with a spriest, means dont be afraid to drop below hit cap whilst gearing it wont kill you. itemisation is key.

Is your rotation going off ok? fps/latency not holding you back.

Our dk's including myself are putting out typically 10.5-11k going higher on good rng, theres a lot of room for improvement in your gear, mainly in regards to itemisation. Use spreadsheets they are priceless, google has a weath of resources allowing anyone who wants to improve on their char.

heres a wwl of one of our last guildruns on icc25
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/g...?s=3204&e=3449
    (saurfang)
    this wasnt a perfectly executed dps attempt by me - nor by the rogues.

And i know that i can get trinket upgrades, and i do have a BiS list from EJ.

when i really focus on my rotation, with preemptive button tapping (gcd-latency ignore) and the fight goes with all possible buffs and debuffs up.. and pots and all.
    Yes i can break 10k dps.
    But even if theres slightly movement involved - my dps takes a rather large hit.
    Thats a l2p issue (hrhr..) - what im asking for - what am i doing wrong - since others are apparently able to do the 11-12k dps.

1. items in general..
    2. maybe im lacking armor penetration - is there a "decent" cap where you shouldnt invest more time on it? - or should you go for soft+arp trinket cap - or even hard cap.

3. maybe im missing crit? - i do have a fairly low amount of crit, because ive invested so much focus on arp. gear
    -my ss still have a 50-51% crit chance in raids however.

4. i prefer to be at the melee hit cap - and then use the priest/drood hit buff for reaching my it hit chance. Its rather annoying to miss your IT during a rotation - because this can really mess up everything.
    But maybe its here i should focus my attention? - i could try it at least.

5. dropping expertise you say.
    for static fights id absolutely agree on you. But no - this is not a valid choice tbh.
    But again - i will try dropping exp gems for str (that would gain me 40strength) and test it out.

6. glove enchant - swapping 44 ap for 15 str.. yes ive been pondering about this as well, expecially with the new sub frost spec coming in next patch. But quite frankly its such a small buff, that i havent lost any sleep over this choice.

maybe if i do all these small things i might be able to gain 100-200dps on static fights..

can anyone clarify (just for the hell of it) - how much of an upgrade the arp/proc or wfs trinket would be for a dk with my gear level?.
    (dont need to run spreadsheets... this is just chatting)
    are we talking 500's of dps? for a single trinket?

are ppl using speed pots instead of stoneskin pots?
    (in 3.3 with sub frost - speed pots would > stoneskin ofc)

tbh you aren't going to catch the rogues if they are in equal gear. I don't believe its possible. Rogues are designed to do much much more dps then us.

That being said from looking over your parse. You probably want to switch to a speed pot as it is a larger boost for your gargoyle and you have kind of a low up time for desolation in that fight. That should be in the high 90's and you are at 87.5%. That will help you out.

I can say from personal experiance were DKs are one of the lower single target classes right now. Fights like saurfang and fester if you are a good dpser and your guild has some very good dps you should be around 9.5k. If you go any higher then that then you have HM 25 man gear.

9.5k on fester not saurfang, dps should be decent on saurfang cause you can do a little AOE diesase dmg.

You are gimping yourself gemming for that expertise,

T10 Content: Hit > Strength > ArP > Crit > Haste > Expertise > Agility

What about misses and dodges though? Hit and expertise will eliminate those two, right, so we obviously want to hit those caps, correct?
    Yes, the chance to miss and the chance to be dodged can be eliminated completely by hit and expertise respectively. However, although the hit cap is worth going out of your way to reach, the expertise cap is not. It simply doesn’t affect enough of our damage to be worthwhile, and due to the fact that our rotation now contains extra GCDs, losing one occasionally because we have to repeat an ability thanks to a dodge isn’t that big of a deal.
    taken from ej.

Run sims, they are priceless in determining things like this.

speed pots are better than indestructable, it's only on certain fights you will want to open with an indestructable and then use speed as your second (valithra i use 2 armours ofc)

You are not lacking either crit or arp really, they come with gear. So long as you aim towards that bis list you will get all that you need. Your dps will always drop when you have to move or change target as a dk, it's part of the disease system, you need to use 2 gcd before you can even begin to use a decent ability.

Focus on your procs and using your gargoyle at the best times with them, bleeding hearts is a very valuable addon i would reccomend getting, it allows you to see what your current ap level is and ensures you can fire off your garg at maximum easily. Double speed pot trick save erw for lining up some heavy burst when procs are up.

In our guild its regularly close between all of us at the top #1 spot tends to depend more on who gets the debuffs/abilities to deal with most. If your gears at an equal level to that of your rogues (we are full 25 man atm no hm yet) then it should be an even keel in terms of who can come first.

I see it's hard to gem after your frontal lobe labotomy.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

as ur unholy, use speed pots as ur pet and ur talents as necrosis and blood caked blade scale better with haste then they do with AP. dont go for armor pen but haste n crit instead. use cooldowns well times and look for kripparrians guide to top dps on youtube, it helped me out aswell

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterman
    as ur unholy, use speed pots as ur pet and ur talents as necrosis and blood caked blade scale better with haste then they do with AP. dont go for armor pen but haste n crit instead. use cooldowns well times and look for kripparrians guide to top dps on youtube, it helped me out aswell
    armor pen is good haste and crit are mediocre. Catch up on your stat weights. Strength and Arp are on the same level due to the way SS works.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/k...337#Unholymoon
    #1 in the world for unholy on that fight, it was from this weeks run, with ~12.2k (Saurfang)

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/b...215#Unholymoon
    #1 on that as well, last week or the week before ~12.8k (Festergut)

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/b...729#Unholymoon
    #1 on that as well, same as the festergut run, ~12.3 (Rotface)

I run full 264 gear, as do our rogues. The rogues tend to do slightly better as they tricks each other, but on these particular weeks there was only 1 rogue iirc, so tricks went to the tanks.