Gemming For Hit?

Hello, was hoping to get a little more info on the logic behind what the mutilate spreadsheet is telling me to gem for. I've got mostly ICC 10/25 gear on my toon now, and as I've added it in to the spreadsheet.. the gem suggestions switch from AP & AP/Haste to Hit on all non red sockets. Why would I do this? If I follow the spreadsheet and gem these all to hit I'll have over 600 hit rating?? The spreadsheet shows my dps would increase slightly (roughly 10-15 dps when all switched) but I don't really see why I would logically want to gem hit to such a level instead of tossing AP/Haste or pure haste in some of these sockets. Can someone help me with why I should do this please?

Re: Gemming For Hit?

You could be crit-capping.

This is a flaw in the way the spreadsheet suggest what you should gem.

What happens, is the sheet calculates the value of haste vs hit, with the stats you have at the moment of the calculation. Unfortunately, the sheet can't calculate _howmany_ gems you should actually be replacing.

If you swap all your gems to AP/hit, the sheet is then probably gonna suggest you to gem AP/haste again, because the breakpoint between hit and haste is between what you have now and what you'd get with all hit gems.

If you wanna find the ultimate optimized setup, you should manually replace one gem to AP/hit, and see if the sheet still suggest AP/hit or if it goes into AP/haste. Add AP/hit gems one by one, until the sheet says AP/haste again, and you're exactly on the breakpoint.

As you said, the difference is reallllllly small in the vicinity of 10dps, which is totally within the sheet margin of error, so if gold isn't a concern and you trust the sheet blindly you can swap some gems, but ultimately I'd say keep what you have, human error, latency, modeling inaccuracy and many other factors are gonna end up giving you a much bigger dps increase or decrease!

Edit: As for your concern about gemming hit up to 600, you need to understand that haste and hit are tide together for obvious reasons. Both increase the amount of autoattacks you land. Say for a period of time you hit 50x. Say gemming hit would bring that to 60. If you could gem 10% haste, in the first scenario you'd gain 5 attacks, in the second 6. In that case, the added hit rating just increased the value of haste for you by 20% (5->6). The same goes for haste increasing hit rating value, with the same reasoning.

Thank you for the replies, I did play around with it a bit and the sheet does tell me to switch back to haste once I change them all to hit.. so that must be the error you're referring to.
    Spreadsheet shows MH Base Crit rate of 56.35 % and 61.15 % for white crit when using AP/Haste gems in the non-red sockets. Am expertise capped at 236 and just below 400 in hit currently.
    Will probably just go forward with haste/ap and a couple pure haste gems.. and hope for the best.