Poll: Which totem do you use and why?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: 264 Totem Enhancement

Quote Originally Posted by bitrix

of course on a sim shattered ice is going to do better, its not a movement sim whatsoever. Haste doesent incrase your white damage at all it merely increases the frequency with which you hit. For haste to really shine you need constant "face time" with a mob. the more time on a mob the more swings you will eek out where as with a heavy movement fight you may ony land a few extra swings before having to switch again. every ability you have is buffed by AP(auto attacks, mele specials, as well as shocks and LB), where as haste only affects GCD and swing time. Your sim showed an increase in damage from these given sources because you landed more of them not because they hit harder. Ive found that the AP totem has a very high uptime on every fight i use it for, the duration of the buff may be longer, but the double stacking mechainc and the fact theat SS is fairly high on our rotation ensures its uptime. many movement fights you will be changing targets as welland many of these targets will not allow full duration flameshocks to tick which is a dps loss. swapping to a target that will give you the full duration means you will not be auto attacking and therefore you further loose the bennefit from the haste totem.

anyways best advice is to get both totems and decide for yourself when and where do use them respectively.
    No explanations at all, you didn't even try to do any simming or maths and just pure fail logic.

Hypothetical situation:
    You land 1000 attacks on a boss fight with full AP.
    You land 1500 on a boss fight with full haste.
    Total dps is better with full haste.

Now we go to a movement fight with the same stats. We have to spend half of our time moving, but the length of the fight is the same.
    You land 500 attacks on the boss fight with full AP
    You land 750 attacks on the boss fight full haste.
    Still we come to the conclusion that haste is superior since we just halved the amount of attacks.

Now PLEASE explain to me how exactly is haste less valuable in movement fight? Some math or examples would be nice. As I said in movement fights white damage DPS is usually our best source of damage so why, why on earth not use the stat that buffs it the most? It doesn't matter how hard your swings hit. For it to make a difference you would have to make the assumption that in those moving fights you would always get the same amount of swings no matter if you used AP or Haste, which also doesn't make any sense. In movement fights you get to use Fire Nova and Magma Totem less, both of which are unaffected by haste, but affected by AP, so you loose more of the value of AP in these kind of fights. As I said earlier the only sensible thing why to get AP in movement fights would be for ranged shock damage, which is neglible since you usually dont get too many of these in a fight. No one cares about big hits, it's the dps that counts.

Only place where Avalanche is good in ICC is Sindragosa, period. In other fights you can keep the flame shock dot up on the boss all the time without having to awkwardly switch targets since you can do it from range. In Blood Queen you might not always get full dps from Flame Shock, but being a dps race you will certainly benefit more from Shattered Ice.

In movement fights you get to use Fire Nova and Magma Totem less
    Well thought out placement before movement allows for more use of these two than most think. If I know Im running away from a mob to attack another, you can refresh magma and trigger Nova while your running, Flame shock too (Jump, spin 180-degrees, flame shock, finish spin another 180-degrees). Why not used the ranged abilities we have while we have to run? To many people do 0 DPS while moving, and that's just wasteful use of time.

Quote Originally Posted by bitrix
    The haste totem has a pretty high ramp up time
    i didn´t know avalanche gains 2 stacks per stormstrike, but shattered ice doesn´t stack up slow really.

flameshock is the first spell to hit the target upon closing the distance, so you can expect the first haste charge to be up a few seconds earlier than the first two ap charges.

from the time of the first flameshock tick, it takes 8 seconds to reach 5 charges.
    1st flameshock tick (0s), 2nd tick (2s), 3rd tick (4s), 4th tick(6s), 5th tick (8sek)

as you see, it wont take any longer for the haste to reach much stacks than it does for the ap one.

avalanche would prove more interesting using for pvp enh, shattered ice as a elemental/resto 2nd spec totem.

aside from the different stats and ramp up times, the good thing about the elemental totem is mainy the duration. not having to worry about the buff for over 45 seconds is a huge plus especially in fights like
    rotface,deathwhisper,marrowgar, professor, bloodprinces, valithria and sindragosa, where you will often lose your 440 attackpower buff.

you can also apply the haste buff from range, which can be helpful in situations where the target isn´t reachable with melee for a moment ( example: onyxia p2, marrowgar bone storm etc. )
    Quote Originally Posted by Angoth
    I'm sorry that Blizzard won't just gift wrap awesome in a cup and let you drink your fill.

15+ Year Old Account

As sad as it is to say, you really do need to sim this one. The two of them for me at the moment are simming at less than 5 dps apart with avalanche coming out ahead. I could get a new piece of gear next week and suddenly shattered ice might be 2 dps ahead. It's different for everyone. I'll pick up both just for either type of fight, but right now the saronite market is being nice to me