Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Ret pally at a loss

EDIT:

Naecroknight armory link

Seen a significant DPS increase in our weekly 10 man raid with the change in gems, rotation, and the trinket. Got a new question for you all...would it be better for me to get the 60 Frost Emblem trinket to replace the Mirror of Truth or should I save up for the T10 helm and hope for legs from VoA.
    Random, mean level 15 deer appeared in Teldrassil to the shock and awe of low-level players. They have been replaced with level 1 fawn.

Re: Ret pally at a loss

well first off, you posted the same armory twice, but to point out your fauls first off. You are about 3 miles past the hit cap. a mirror of truth would be a better second trinket than the hit one. Your rotation is wrong. Judge>CS>DS>HoW>Exo>Con>HW with pc t10. the Nightmare Tear should be in the boots and put all bold in the chest. Mining does nothing for you as ret. Blacksmith, enchanting, alchemy, and engineering all all better options.

I'll look at the log in a second.

Edit: after looking here it is pretty simle. he had 91 crusader strikes. you had 67. hell, tonight in almost three less minutes i had 51 CS. Your rotation is your problem. fix it and your DPS will jump considerably.

Throwing you in Rawr shows you should be doing 8.5k with a correct rotation.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by naecroknight
    Recently spent some time in ICC with a ret pally who, I thought, I should have been doing more DPS than but I wasn't. Playing the class to the best of my abilities I just could not match him. I'm looking for some advice as to what I can do differently. I am willing and able to change anything in my gemming, enchants, spec, rotation anything! Currently use the HoW > Judgment > CS > DS > Cons > Exorcism rotation.

Damage Log of the Fight

My Armory Page

His Armory Page
    first off the "My Armory Page" link is a broken link to your armory and the "His Armory Page" link is a working link you your armory

secondly the priority list is :
    Judgment > CS >DS > HoW > Cons > Exo >Holy Wrath

thirdly on to your gear
    you need to drop like 300 hit rating (ie the hit trinket for one, get mirror of truth, yes its an upgrade)
    your chest should just be 2 20str gems, if you have to gem more than one str/crit gem iirc its a dps down grade over pure str geming (not 100% on this but pretty sure, check with RAWR)
    get 4 pc T10
    also the agi cloak from badges is a bigger upgrade than the str one but don't upgrade this since you already have the str one untill you are to a point where you no longer need other badge gear for upgrades and you havent gotten either Shadowvault Slayers Cloak or Winding Sheet
    and iirc of the top of my head the socket in your braceres and gloves is yellow ie put a str/crit gem in them

Not often I post on these forums, but are you aiming for spell hitcap or wtf is going on?

Go replace that EoT hit trinket with .. hell Mirror of Truth would be better even.

EDIT: Was beaten to it but still, reinforces Alenko's point. Alenko gave you some damn good advice there, I suggest you listen.

P.S. Make sure to get ur T10 4pc bonus before wasting more badges on crap like that cloak and libram AND more hit belt..

Quote Originally Posted by Brael
    Not often I post on these forums, but are you aiming for spell hitcap or wtf is going on?

Go replace that EoT hit trinket with .. hell Mirror of Truth would be better even.
    he is even 4% over spell hit cap too. assuming there isnt a hit buff on the boss...
    Pondering returning.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoll
    he is even 4% over spell hit cap too. assuming there isnt a hit buff on the boss...
    Seen the amount and nearly fainted before I could check the % ;D

10+ Year Old Account

at least he isnt topping the 711 Hit raiting of Footlose ^^
    I always wonder why blizzard made all 245er trinkets with hit...

15+ Year Old Account

Recently spent some time in ICC with a ret pally who, I thought, I should have been doing more DPS than but I wasn't. Playing the class to the best of my abilities I just could not match him. I'm looking for some advice as to what I can do differently. I am willing and able to change anything in my gemming, enchants, spec, rotation anything! Currently use the HoW > Judgment > CS > DS > Cons > Exorcism rotation.

Damage Log of the Fight

My Armory Page

His Armory Page
    I'm not trying to sound like an ass here but there are things that people should really try hard to do when answering a post about rotations. Things that are very trivial to someone that knows the class aren't so to someone that is learning the class. If we are really trying to help people learn more instead of just saying use XYZ rotation try to tell them how you came to the conclusion.

You don't have to write an essay on the subject but what happens is you tell this person the rotation to use and someone else trying to learn assumes that they should use it as well, Nikoll said he dropped his information in Rawr which is really all I'm getting at if you used a spreadsheet or rawr just say how you got it people really need to understand a rotation is not set in stone it changes with gear.

secondly the priority list is :
    Judgment > CS >DS > HoW > Cons > Exo >Holy Wrath
    While this rotation might be what you use because you understand and know the class I'd say for his gear he should be using J -> DS -> CS -> Cons -> HoW -> Exo now Rawr shows you sitting at 8606. I adjusted the wait time to reflect having a 200 ping as yes that could be high but 100-200 is pretty common better to over do it then under do it. I would never tell someone to use HW in a rotation because it can definitely cause a DPS loss.

I know this all sounds kinda nit picking and I'm not saying anyone is giving bad information we just see the same posts a lot or we see people saying I'm using XYZ rotation in some cases they read it in another post and in other cases they hear to or are told to use it. Anyway you can try any of the suggestions most likely you are always going to get something you need but if you don't understand where they got it or how they came to the conclusion just ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

Personally i've been prioritizing DS > CS since I got my T10 2set bonus anyway as DS hits harder, crits harder, and giving more chance to use it more often.

I've actually got Mirror of Truth sitting in the bank so I will grab it out. Ill switch my gems around too since I can thanks to being a JC.

Ill update my bars to the rotation Requital said.

EDIT:

Rotation updated on action bars, gems changed, MoT in slot.
    Random, mean level 15 deer appeared in Teldrassil to the shock and awe of low-level players. They have been replaced with level 1 fawn.

15+ Year Old Account

Do i smell gear score ideology???

Apart from reducing hit u can also try changing your mining proffesion.

JC + engineering is best but enchanting, blacksmithing is also good. changing mining for any of the 3 u dont got increases ur dps.

Also u should check your t9 quality pieces with hit with some of the wrathful gladiator gear. Just exclude hit from comparison since u already got alot.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Probably gonna pick up enchanting since I never mine and enchanting is easy profit and easy to level\

EDIT: picked up enchanting, off to level it.

Copied from Elistist Jerks forum to make sure there's no confusion as there have been several "rotations" listed here

If you have 2pc T9 equipped your best clash resolution is: Judgement > HoW > CS > DS > Consecrate > Exorcism > Holy Wrath.

If you have 2pc T9 AND 2pc T10 equipped, your best resolution is: Judgement > DS > HoW > CS > Consecrate > Exorcism > Holy Wrath

If you have 4pc T10 equipped, your best clash resolution is: Judgement > DS > CS > HoW > Consecrate > Exorcism > Holy Wrath

Source http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t68951-r...sic_Rotation__

Hope this helps you
    Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Bobajobjob
    Copied from Elistist Jerks forum to make sure there's no confusion as there have been several "rotations" listed here

If you have 2pc T9 equipped your best clash resolution is: Judgement > HoW > CS > DS > Consecrate > Exorcism > Holy Wrath.

If you have 2pc T9 AND 2pc T10 equipped, your best resolution is: Judgement > DS > HoW > CS > Consecrate > Exorcism > Holy Wrath

If you have 4pc T10 equipped, your best clash resolution is: Judgement > DS > CS > HoW > Consecrate > Exorcism > Holy Wrath

Source http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t68951-r...sic_Rotation__

Hope this helps you
    This isn't always right.

All of the above posters make valid points. You could drop some hit and fix your rotation.

Regarding your rotation.. while looking at your parse for Saurfang.. for the most part, you were ahead of him except for the first 45 seconds or so where your deeps dropped significantly. It almost looks as if you were just auto attacking during the entire heroism phase which obviously is going to affect how ure overall damage is going to look. It looks like ure popping your wings right off the bat... maybe pulling too much threat and auto attacking maybe.. but that is all just specualation.

Obviously, I'm just speculating by just looking at your parse but if that is the case, you have 2 options. Make sure ure Salving ureself after you pop wings to keep your threat down. Or, you can wait till your greatness card pops the second time so (giving the tank a changce to get aggro) while also giving you the chance to ramp up all your damage to take full affect of you trinkets and stacks of both the libram and SoV.

example - start dpsing your trinket will pop, let all your damage ramp up. once your trinket pops a second time, blow wings and salv yourself...

*edit* you might feel as if you are not doing alot of initial damage but you will jump everyone once your wings are popped.

Another option might be that during that initial heroism phase, everyone is blowing CD's and myabe your computer cant handle all the pew pew though lag and high ms might not be as big of a problem.

Actually, during that timeframe where the dps dropped I was concentrating on 3 blood beasts that the prot pally managed to get with HotR. He did that twice which are the manager moments of my drop because I taunted and ran outta the group.

15+ Year Old Account

Actually, during that timeframe where the dps dropped I was concentrating on 3 blood beasts that the prot pally managed to get with HotR. He did that twice which are the manager moments of my drop because I taunted and ran outta the group.
    bad parse then, to compare anything you will need something a bit more equal :P

well first off, you posted the same armory twice, but to point out your fauls first off. You are about 3 miles past the hit cap. a mirror of truth would be a better second trinket than the hit one. Your rotation is wrong. Judge>CS>DS>HoW>Exo>Con>HW with pc t10. the Nightmare Tear should be in the boots and put all bold in the chest. Mining does nothing for you as ret. Blacksmith, enchanting, alchemy, and engineering all all better options.

I'll look at the log in a second.

Edit: after looking here it is pretty simle. he had 91 crusader strikes. you had 67. hell, tonight in almost three less minutes i had 51 CS. Your rotation is your problem. fix it and your DPS will jump considerably.

Throwing you in Rawr shows you should be doing 8.5k with a correct rotation.
    Btw, the rotation does change a lot when you got 2pc 10.
    You want to have DS on CD before every autohit, seeing it does more damage than CS.

What I usually do is put consecration up, use DS and enable autoattack as fast as I can after I use DS, that way you will be able to get off as many DS as you can.

Cs before ds, we've had this discussion before. Cs is still better damage per minute than ds because of the ability to hit bigger hitting abilties more often. you'll be using more lesser abilities like con, exo, and hw using ds first. I used to be on the ds always side, but was proven wrong.
    Pondering returning.

15+ Year Old Account

Cs before ds, we've had this discussion before. Cs is still better damage per minute than ds because of the ability to hit bigger hitting abilties more often. you'll be using more lesser abilities like con, exo, and hw using ds first. I used to be on the ds always side, but was proven wrong.
    havent tested anything yet (got my 4piece last night), but il have a try with this priority :P