Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Looking for advanced "tips" on increasing my dps - Enh

Enhancement shaman looking for some assistance with my dps. Looking for some "advanced tips" from those Enh shamans that are seeing full clears of ICC25 and ICC 10/25 hard modes.

I was gazing at some logs and noticed that the top guy listed is hitting 12k on Saur - while I'm barely above 9k. Now, I know that I will more than likely never be the top dps'er, but I would like to continually improve my performance (for both myself and my guilds progression).

So, here's my armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=Merovingiann Note: about to get 4/5 (legs) and the gloves from Dreamwalker along with the expertise ring - just waiting till I get enough badges to buy the legs to equip it all.

And I use SAA's priority system, I keep up to date with our gemming priorities - and I know all the basics and most of the advanced stuff and I follow MMO (obviously) and EJ's threads.

What I would really like to hear is dps "tips" that you top performers use.

Thanks in advance.

Deleted

Re: Looking for advanced "tips" on increasing my dps - Enh

Don't use the expertise ring, its worse than what you have, and if you simmed it, you will see it as well.

I'm not to fond of the gemming, either gem for full haste or full AP. When you try to do both, as in gemming for both AP and Haste, you'll gimp both stats, and your overall dps will be lower.

Your spec and glyph are fine.

The T10 4p will gives you some more dps of course.

Deleted

try to sim your gear. if the sim tells you can only get 10K, 9K is not half-assed. remember, EJ BiS list only sims for about 12,345 with full heroic gear and 2 hc LK weapons. i have a guide on simming here that is stickied, check my sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Woddy
    I'm not to fond of the gemming, either gem for full haste or full AP. When you try to do both, as in gemming for both AP and Haste, you'll gimp both stats, and your overall dps will be lower.
    This is often not true

I'm not much better than the OP, and would also love to hear some tips from the top tier players out there.

But in to the regards to the top DPS charts and comparing yourself to them, I was under the impression that many of these logs are usually rigged in some way with the best possible luck on procs and often with a pocket rogue tossing TotT and other buffs coming your way. Not saying to be on the top you aren’t skilled or geared, just that those numbers can’t usually be achievable under normal circumstances and comparing your avg raid performance against those would be an error.

Most of the "toppers" do indeed get PI/ToT/Hysteria so don't worry about that all, like posted above here & in the FAQ play around a bit with Enhsim and unless your raiding at the top you should just take the upgrades you can, don't bother too much with BiS lists. Next to that just always think 2 steps ahead, use your bosstimers and replace your SAA by totemtimers/poweauras when you feel confident about your knowledge.

Few easy tips ; play your own game, don't worry so much about others, never clip your flameshock, don't wait for a high prio spell to get off cd if you can do another one meanwhile and prepot & time your 2nd pot with SR.

If you want to know some more stuff just say so

Quote Originally Posted by Sapha
    Most of the "toppers" do indeed get PI/ToT/Hysteria so don't worry about that all, like posted above here & in the FAQ play around a bit with Enhsim and unless your raiding at the top you should just take the upgrades you can, don't bother too much with BiS lists. Next to that just always think 2 steps ahead, use your bosstimers and replace your SAA by totemtimers/poweauras when you feel confident about your knowledge.
    Actually don't replace your SAA. To do this you would have to be able to perfectly remember our rotation, which is 14 abilities long, and you would have to be able to keep count of lightning shield orbs, magma totem ticks and flame shock ticks while thinking in your head which of these 14 abilities you are going to do next. If you want your best possible dps you will need to strictly follow the rotation you have found to be the best in EnhSim, and SAA is the best tool for this. It doesn't mean that you just stare blindly at the priority screen; once you get the feel of the rotation you may already know what to press next, but SAA is great for those situations where you are not sure whether to refresh LS/recast magma/use FS when all are off at the same time. Those who say you don't need SAA when you get used to enhancement are just making things more difficult for themselves as they cannot perfectly follow the rotation. If you think otherwise please provide me with frapsed Saurfang/Festergut fight while perfectly following the rotation and making max 5 mistakes (completely possible to make 0 mistakes with SAA, just doesn't happen too often).

Main reason why Im nit that fond of SAA is because it is nit aware of your situation, like using CL on Saurfang when the adds just spawned or pot FN higher in your rotation when there are adds involved. If you setup your totemtimers & tellmewhen properly you can see all the information you need. Tbh if an Enhancement Shaman Still needs SAA after a few weeks/days of raiding he is either not that bright or just prefers staring at a little box rather then his enviroment

Main reason why Im nit that fond of SAA is because it is nit aware of your situation, like using CL on Saurfang when the adds just spawned or pot FN higher in your rotation when there are adds involved. If you setup your totemtimers & tellmewhen properly you can see all the information you need. Tbh if an Enhancement Shaman Still needs SAA after a few weeks/days of raiding he is either not that bright or just prefers staring at a little box rather then his enviroment
    Did it occur to you that you don't actually have to blindly do what SAA tells but instead you can use CL and give FN higher priority even if SAA doesn't explicitly say so? And my argument still stands, if you can truly say that you are able to follow the priority queue which consists of 14 abilities and tracking multiple dots and ticks without SAA then please, prove it somehow cause I find it hard to believe. Also if you are interested, in my opinion a shaman who willingly hinders his/her dps by not using optimal rotation is more stupid than the one blindly staring at a box and doing maximum dps. Note: you can actually look at your enviroment while looking at the funny little box which says what to do next.

We have 14 abilities in total yes, but we dont use 14 abilities every minute right? Unless you are mentally retarded in some way you can just like everyone play Enhancement normal ( and FYI, I'm in a top 100 world guild if that helps anything so I know what i'm doing )

I still didn't get your answer if you can perfectly follow our rotation without SAA. My argument has always been that it is very hard/impossible to perfectly follow the optimal rotation without SAA (or any other mod which shows your next priority) - I'm not arguing that you couldn't do good dps without it. Best possible dps = following the rotation strictly (on single target fights).

And FYI it doesn't make any difference to me if you were in top 3 world guild.

I use SAA for its timers to monitor some CDs. Flame shock dot, magma, ss debuff, LS, MSW_5. That's all. I don't use the priority frame. I have one vertical bar near the center of my screen left of my toon with the basics, ES, SS, LL, SR, Orc racial, Wolves, LS. (Binds 1-7, LB is Q) In the action bar I can see my GCD easily too of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Butu
    I still didn't get your answer if you can perfectly follow our rotation without SAA. My argument has always been that it is very hard/impossible to perfectly follow the optimal rotation without SAA (or any other mod which shows your next priority) - I'm not arguing that you couldn't do good dps without it. Best possible dps = following the rotation strictly (on single target fights).

And FYI it doesn't make any difference to me if you were in top 3 world guild.
    I have to agree here. With additions in our priority making large differences in our dps like MT_0 vs. MT(based on ticks left) as well as several others it is near impossible to accurately maintain your priority without a strict list. Nothing can do that better and cleaner than SAA no matter how many PowerAuras are set up.

10+ Year Old Account

you just failed... you shouldnt be using CL on Saurfang when adds are appearing. I bet (!) you get at öeast 10 hits from the adds in the entire fight, which means a lot of runepower for saurfang. simply use LB, and you wont get hit by any add anymore. 2nd thing, I play enhancement now for more than 3 years, and i've never tried or played sthg else and I still use SAA. Why? Because its the beast allround tool, it simply shows you, when FS is running out, how many lightning orbs you got left and so on... And I think there are very very rare shamans that would to a perfect prio without SAA (I might be able to do it with 5-8 abilities, but not with 14!). So SAA is a perfect tool für enh, it doesnt depend on what your skill level is. Its a tool for anyone!

I will use SAA as long as I play this game. I may not always look at it because there is so much going on around me. It really puts me back in order once I find myself back in position to start dpsing again. There can be so much going on during a fight that every last reminder can save the day. To me its almost more important then DBM. Those 2 things make me stay alive and get the most possible damage out. So if you want the max dps stay with this even for a reminder when the stuff hits the fan and you have no clue whats up or down.

I have heard many good things about the SnowFallKeyPress Addon and intend to check it out myself soon. You might want to look into that since all the key presses combined in a single fight can add up to a lot of lost time.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Barawr
    I have heard many good things about the SnowFallKeyPress Addon and intend to check it out myself soon. You might want to look into that since all the key presses combined in a single fight can add up to a lot of lost time.
    That's a nice looking mod. Might be helpful to me. I find myself trying to spam a key but end up freezing on it sometimes. As if I have some disorder or something. I believe there is a way make make this default anyway outside of the games environment).
    Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz | MSI - Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB DDR4-3400 Memory | Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | Samsung - 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card | Corsair - 850W ATX Power Supply | 2 x HP - Omen 27 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor | Microsoft - Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Windows by default already works this way. It's inside the game itself where it works on key release.

Deleted

Then you are not making use of the multiple priority system. That allows you to switch to an AoE setup with a single click/button press and switch back again when no longer in AoE mode. If you don't know the addon's features then you really shouldn't be criticising it for not being able to do something.

Then you are not making use of the multiple priority system. That allows you to switch to an AoE setup with a single click/button press and switch back again when no longer in AoE mode. If you don't know the addon's features then you really shouldn't be criticising it for not being able to do something.
    Been using the multiple priority system, great feature. Is there a quick way to switch modes mid combat?
    Often forgetting to switch to single target mode after burning trash. :-[