Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The new rage mechanic in cataclysm

Most of you would of heard about it, making rage generate on a set value and NOT depending on how much damage you do, eliminating the fact tha you need gear for rage. Would you be excited about this change or worried? I actually think it would be pretty cool, but ive always been happy with our current rage system, i never really had trouble with rage, even at low gear levels, only the occasional rage starve. I got full season 7 pretty much and you can clearly see you get much more rage, and in pve (most 245 stuff) i seem to be flooding with rage and have more then what i need. Back to the point, excited or worried?

Re: The new rage mechanic in cataclysm

Soo.... Would this make rage like energy for a rogue?
    or is it going to be something like 20 rage gained per auto-attack/ bloodthirst/ ww/ etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Volitans
    Soo.... Would this make rage like energy for a rogue?
    or is it going to be something like 20 rage gained per auto-attack/ bloodthirst/ ww/ etc?
    i would say you gain rage based on weapon speed, but then it wouldnt fix the problem with tanks.
    the system atm is abit gimped and RNG based, for both tanks, dps and pvp.
    so yes, i want to see a new rage gen system.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

10+ Year Old Account

I'd say it should be a set amount (normalised for Weapon speed) and should start out at just enough to do BT and WW then haste increases the amount of rage gained per hit by a % so 5% haste = 5% more rage per hit = every few hits you have enough rage to do 1 heroic strike. then as long as they dont let haste scale out of control to the point where 1 offhand crit gives a full rage bar (hello ICC25) then it should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Devlin1991
    I'd say it should be a set amount (normalised for Weapon speed) and should start out at just enough to do BT and WW then haste increases the amount of rage gained per hit by a % so 5% haste = 5% more rage per hit = every few hits you have enough rage to do 1 heroic strike. then as long as they dont let haste scale out of control to the point where 1 offhand crit gives a full rage bar (hello ICC25) then it should be ok.
    Well, thats all very neat, but the only way to stay competitive in dps these days is relying on endless rage. If rage is no longer pseudo-infinite, our dps will go down, big time. I struggle to keep up with the DKs, the Hunters and the Palas, not to mention the 10-15% behind Rogues.
    And that is with the "scaling out of control". I dont want to play a broken class.

Quote Originally Posted by Ildurnest
    I dont want to play a broken class.
    You (and me to) have been playing a broken class for ages. Hence we got the 10% back in naxx. Hence why we need to be at 100% rage all the time or we lag way behind in DPS.

If blizz was to fix the rage issue so it to be normalized again, we could get our 10% back and be pretty much where we are now except having to manage rage rather then just try to smash your buttons as fast as you possibly can to keep up with other classes.

Wel... fortunately or not, when i started playing wow, ICC had just come out.
    I'd say I was pretty fortunate gearing up and finding a good Guild. However, you dont need to be a rocket scientist to understand that playing a warrior is pretty much broken.

Since they are taking out armpen on gear, if they do make rage generation modified by haste rating, you are going to see a bunch of haste-capped fury warriors by the second raid tier.
    Inc next broken stat for warrs...

Quote Originally Posted by Vojka
    Most of you would of heard about it, making rage generate on a set value and NOT depending on how much damage you do, eliminating the fact tha you need gear for rage. Would you be excited about this change or worried? I actually think it would be pretty cool, but ive always been happy with our current rage system, i never really had trouble with rage, even at low gear levels, only the occasional rage starve. I got full season 7 pretty much and you can clearly see you get much more rage, and in pve (most 245 stuff) i seem to be flooding with rage and have more then what i need. Back to the point, excited or worried?
    I'm personally quite worried to be honest. A few things to consider:
    1) The last rage normalization (in 2.0 Burning Crusade) was an utter disaster and needed major buffs by next patch,
    2) Blizzard's abysmal record with warriors in expansions, the first year of both BC and WOTLK were both write-offs for us,
    3) In pvp with health pools being more or less the same between cloth wearers & plate, I shudder to think how hard it will be to take down these classes with their absorption shields and our neutered rage generation.

They way they'll rework the rage system will completely depend on how they'll change Heroic Strike.

I think we have always been balanced around being able to generate rage for our cooldown and procs with leftover rage being used to increase HS frequency. In PvE this somehow worked well with arms that also have a secondary rage dump, but for prot and fury HS is mandatory and over 80% in raidbuffed scenarios.

I never had any issue with rage in either spec. The occasional starvation is rare even at naxx levels of gear and only in pvp you can see the extremes of rage generation, mostly because of lack of raidbuffs and reduced damage by shield/resilience/defensive cds.

However if we'll be cooldown/proc based the only thing that matters is how we'll dump additional rage, because once reached a haste softcap to keep our abilities on cd there will be no reason to look for it, unless it has a very good stat conversion or additional effect on cooldowns/gcd.

I'm really looking forward to how they're going to break/tweak us for Cata. Either we're going to be competetive without gaining RSI, or we'll be broken and scale far too well all over again.

Either that, or we'll become rogues in plate... (I already get called this :P)

10+ Year Old Account

we keep talking about infinite rage so we can faceroll heroic strike on pretty much 99% of main hand hits. Blizzard have stated numerous times that they dont like "on next swing" mechanics (they like cleave) and would be more than likely removing heroic strike in its current iteration, creating a completely new mechanic for our rage dumping.

we keep talking about infinite rage so we can faceroll heroic strike on pretty much 99% of main hand hits. Blizzard have stated numerous times that they dont like "on next swing" mechanics (they like cleave) and would be more than likely removing heroic strike in its current iteration, creating a completely new mechanic for our rage dumping.
    To be precise, they don't like "on next swing" mechanics that feel mandatory or close to 100% uptime. That's indeed why they won't change cleave.
    And I completely agree that they will find a new dump mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFlash
    You (and me to) have been playing a broken class for ages.
    Warriors and BROKEN? xDDDDDDDDDDDDD Sry, i dont have a thing against warriors, i love my warrior, but that is too much.

'Broken' means half of your attacks scale of a stat you dont have, broken means missing the talents you need to even do a job, broken means your dps/healing/mitigation is so bad even the nicest players in the world laugh at you when you join a group.

Never once in the history of wow, warriors where broken. Weak? maybe. But broken is different and if you refer to warriors as broken for ages...wow^^ xDDD
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

Quote Originally Posted by Astray
    Warriors and BROKEN? xDDDDDDDDDDDDD Sry, i dont have a thing against warriors, i love my warrior, but that is too much.

'Broken' means half of your attacks scale of a stat you dont have, broken means missing the talents you need to even do a job, broken means your dps/healing/mitigation is so bad even the nicest players in the world laugh at you when you join a group.

Never once in the history of wow, warriors where broken. Weak? maybe. But broken is different and if you refer to warriors as broken for ages...wow^^ xDDD
    While it's not pertinent to what that guy said, clearly you did not play a warrior on release, post-Indalamar.

Quote Originally Posted by Vojka
    If this is the case, they will need to do something special for arms imo, it could be as simple as an arms talent that increases rage income. Rage starving is a little easier when you have more attacks and no OH rage income. Would be sweet if they took this expansion as an opportunity to make arms and fury scale equally, I have always liked the concept of arms but it became too much of a headache with not enough reward (PvE ofc).

Quote Originally Posted by Astray

AS the above post stated you clearly are new to Warriors and their history. Broken can and does reflect any mechanic regarding a class that isn't working as intended and has been "hot-fixed" which as we all know doesn't usally fix anything. Instead it creates a new problem, that wasn't forseen, as the community is forced to adapt to the aforementioned hot-fix.

To the OP. I am open and all welcome for complete rage revamps. I don't mind rage as it sits now, but it is rather odd that the system is far more mindless than it used to be due to being 100% rage in a matter of seconds and permanently, aside from the odd HS related starve. Seems redundant at times.

May as well give us focus like huntards.

Or take away our resources completely, and just put a cooldown on everything... Actually, that may work, and would scale well with gear... and haste.

Why would a rampaging warrior stop to think if he had enough "rage" to tear your heart out anyway?

Probably would get retarded OP quickly tho.

Agreed, warriors should have a constant 25-rage that refreshes every 4s or so. This amount would be base, the bar still filling to 100.

Doing so would allow them to slow down rage gain, remove rage gain from damage taken and stop the true rage starvation problems that start occuring when you overgear or over-CC an encounter.

I'd also like to see overall DPS boosted across the board for all regular attacks and special abilities. With the only exceptions being heroic strike and cleave. I'd like to see the cost and damage of those two significantly ramped up, but by the same token I want the use of them to be a very big choice.

Like right now HS/Cleave is in the top 3 or 4 damage and both are typically 2nd or 1st among times used. I'd like to see them retain that spot on dps but be much lower in swings.

Of course this would require some changes though to make sure it didn't mess with our burst dps in PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitans
    Why would a rampaging warrior stop to think if he had enough "rage" to tear your heart out anyway?
    Got me thinking, it could potentially be pretty cool to have rage work as a damage modifier instead of a resource. Everything is on a CD and you have to decide what attacks to use with certain rage situations. It is obviously an incomplete system as it was just a tangent I thought about, but it fits the rage system a bit better if you could pull it off.