Boomkin help :'(

Hey guys,

Ive been having a bit of trouble recently with my boomkin my dps is a bit low in the ICC 10 and 25 man groups i do with my guild, ive found balancing the haste, crit and hit stats difficult im currently over the haste soft cap but is my crit a bit low?

Ive also wondered about gemming should i gem full sp despite my crit being low?

Also for switching to adds in ICC which are nuked very quickly should i always dot them with faire fire?for instance bone spike graveyard, saurfrang adds etc ive found that by the time ive dotted FF Moonfire and IS and begin my Wrath or Starfire casts the target is usually dead.

I feel my rotation is sound and have read alot of great advice from the awesome threads here but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance Tez

Heres my armory http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...m&cn=Tezzybear

Re: Boomkin help :'(

your 2% light on hit and your crit is indeed low, and on stuff like bone spikes and other useless adds i usually spam either wrath or starfire, ignore dots and FF (depending on which eclipse is up)

lucky for you im a nice moonkin and willing to help

1st off, you are below hit cap. Hit is the 1st priority as a caster DPS. You cap that IMMEDIATELY. The cap is 263. Also your stats and gearing are kind of out of wack. You are EXTREMELY below the desired crit. All yellow slots put SP/Crit gems in them ONCE you are hit capped. Until then gem Hit all the way if you have to (You shouldnt need to normally... but you are below cap) Pure SP gems go in most other slots (Still use 2 Purifieds for your meta ofc)

You have WAY to much Spirit/Haste gear. Spirit gear is BAD. I repeat BAD. Do your absolute best to get Crit/Hit/Haste gear as your pieces (Definitely Hit/Crit for you since those are the 2 stats you need most). Being over the haste soft cap is completely fine, it just means that crit becomes more valuable than haste untill you reach the crit soft cap. Since you arent close try and gear Crit over Haste. Also make sure you work your way to getting 4p T10 or even 5p (All pieces have Crit so it will help you). It is itemized very well and will increase your DPS by a good amount. Also try and replace your trinkets they are pretty bad

As for adds it depends how fast they die wether you DoT or not. You NEVER Faire Fire adds. Faire Fire is only a DPS increase if it is something that will be alive for 2 minutes or so. If the add will live for 15-20 sec or so Moonfire it then Nuke. If less than just nuke depending on your Eclipse rotation. Things like Bonespikes you dont dot you just nuke (You can also Typhoon them if they are bunched together for an added little DPS boost) For Saurfang adds you should probably moonfire then nuke. Although if your guilds DPS is good than you dont dot them since they die to fast, like I said it depends on how long they live. Dont insect swarm them isnt worth casting in that situation.

A side hint for you once patch 3.3.3 hits glyph starfall instead of insect swarm. And stop casting insect swarm all together unless you have nothing else to cast because you are moving. It will increase your DPS and you will thank me

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...den&cn=Jibjabb Just so you can know who I am and see I know what Im talking about. Can aslo check ICC heroic WoL Dmg meters for moonkin too :P

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb
    lucky for you im a nice moonkin and willing to help

1st off, you are below hit cap. Hit is the 1st priority as a caster DPS. You cap that IMMEDIATELY. The cap is 263. Also your stats and gearing are kind of out of wack. You are EXTREMELY below the desired crit. All yellow slots put SP/Crit gems in them ONCE you are hit capped. Until then gem Hit all the way if you have to (You shouldnt need to normally... but you are below cap) Pure SP gems go in most other slots (Still use 2 Purifieds for your meta ofc)

You have WAY to much Spirit/Haste gear. Spirit gear is BAD. I repeat BAD. Do your absolute best to get Crit/Hit/Haste gear as your pieces (Definitely Hit/Crit for you since those are the 2 stats you need most). Being over the haste soft cap is completely fine, it just means that crit becomes more valuable than haste untill you reach the crit soft cap. Since you arent close try and gear Crit over Haste. Also make sure you work your way to getting 4p T10 or even 5p (All pieces have Crit so it will help you). It is itemized very well and will increase your DPS by a good amount. Also try and replace your trinkets they are pretty bad

As for adds it depends how fast they die wether you DoT or not. You NEVER Faire Fire adds. Faire Fire is only a DPS increase if it is something that will be alive for 2 minutes or so. If the add will live for 15-20 sec or so Moonfire it then Nuke. If less than just nuke depending on your Eclipse rotation. Things like Bonespikes you dont dot you just nuke (You can also Typhoon them if they are bunched together for an added little DPS boost) For Saurfang adds you should probably moonfire then nuke. Although if your guilds DPS is good than you dont dot them since they die to fast, like I said it depends on how long they live. Dont insect swarm them isnt worth casting in that situation.

A side hint for you once patch 3.3.3 hits glyph starfall instead of insect swarm. And stop casting insect swarm all together unless you have nothing else to cast because you are moving. It will increase your DPS and you will thank me

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...den&cn=Jibjabb Just so you can know who I am and see I know what Im talking about. Can aslo check ICC heroic WoL Dmg meters for moonkin too :P
    I agree with about 99pct of what was said here, well, all of it, but I wanted to add some further clarification:

If you run with a shadow priest and feral druid you should never need to faerie fire. Shadow priests provide the hit debuff, ferals provide the crit buff for you.

Spirit is not a very desired DPS stat. That being said, if you have to choose between a 213 crit/haste piece and a 251/264 crit/spirit piece, it's still probably going to be the better piece. (You can figure out the spellpower equivolent for spirit by taking the spirit value, multiplying it by 1.12, then that value by .3). Haste and Crit near the cap both end up being somewhere around .7 spellpower equivolent.. ish.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully i can replace some of my spirit gear in the near future.

One of my main problems is either being over the hit cap or under cant get the right balance, hopefully the spyglass will drop on my next icc run, ive only really been playing this toon as a boomkin for the last month so im still learning

Unfortunately i dont really have much option in changing my gear for less spirit stuff.

Thanks again for the great help

Quote Originally Posted by Tezemery
    Thanks for the help guys, hopefully i can replace some of my spirit gear in the near future.

One of my main problems is either being over the hit cap or under cant get the right balance, hopefully the spyglass will drop on my next icc run, ive only really been playing this toon as a boomkin for the last month so im still learning

Unfortunately i dont really have much option in changing my gear for less spirit stuff.

Thanks again for the great help
    I dont why you are trying to find a "balance" right now. You should be worried about getting that hit capped as with out your spells hitting = loss of dps /no dps at all. Don't try to find a balance till that is met. Even after that you will be fine with ICC10 gear, no need to "find a balance". After your hit is capped just try to replace some of that spirit gear and you will be perfectly fine.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Omein
    I dont why you are trying to find a "balance" right now. You should be worried about getting that hit capped as with out your spells hitting = loss of dps /no dps at all. Don't try to find a balance till that is met. Even after that you will be fine with ICC10 gear, no need to "find a balance". After your hit is capped just try to replace some of that spirit gear and you will be perfectly fine.
    can you -1 internet from ur sig for not reading responses previous to yours?

The Moonkin Repository
    Moonkin forums for beginners and experienced players alike
    Moonkin TTT Thread with Wrathcalcs
    Check it out, good stuff in there

Awesome, a decent boomkin to ask for advice... (talking about jibjabb)

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...l&cn=Excelious

thats my armory there, i have one simple question:

currently running with DFO and normal ROTD
    i know DFO + heroic ROTD is my BIS, but is DFO + phylac > DFO + normal ROTD? i passed up phylac last sindra kill cause i wasn't too sure... seems like phylac overall would be more spell power (especially after buff) but i dont nkow how strong the proc on rotd is whether its worth the 163 crit or whatever from phylac. let me know

why does everyone have precious's ribbon iv never seen it drop once

on topic i didnt realise it was possible to have that low crit :O try getting muradians spyglass from gunship 10 man to get abit more crit and when your hit capped by gemming
    sp/hit in yellow sockets start to gem sp/crit in them
    W From] [80:Sheriffen:1]: Recount - Nexttosmelly's Hostile Attacks: Starfire
    [W From] [80:Sheriffen:1]: 1. Crit 18 (90%) (Min: 0 Avg: 21004 Max: 32405)

10+ Year Old Account

There is one thing no one apparently have noticed, he have no tier bonuses
    All the bonuses you get from both tier 9 and tier 10 is very good! You should allways have either 2 pieces of tier 9 with 2 pieces of tier 10, or 4 pieces of tier 10.
    Getting 4 Piece tier 10 bonus will probaly also alot of your stat problems, since all tier 10 pieces is either Crit/Haste or Crit/Hit. And give you Languish ofc. Sweet sweet Languish
    Then he fapped to his own pseudo-intellectualism and no one ever loved him. Ever.

The End

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by tumus2004
    Awesome, a decent boomkin to ask for advice... (talking about jibjabb)

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...l&cn=Excelious

thats my armory there, i have one simple question:

currently running with DFO and normal ROTD
    i know DFO + heroic ROTD is my BIS, but is DFO + phylac > DFO + normal ROTD? i passed up phylac last sindra kill cause i wasn't too sure... seems like phylac overall would be more spell power (especially after buff) but i dont nkow how strong the proc on rotd is whether its worth the 163 crit or whatever from phylac. let me know
    Since the Phylac has a 100 second cooldown, the normal phylac has the exact same effective spellpower as the heroic spyglass. I personally am a fan of consistent spellpower over burst, as burst tends to proc at the most opportune times and then it's wasted. I think I'm going to be sticking with heroic spyglass & heroic DFO.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

@ Tumus, I would say that using your combo of RoTD + DFO is most likely superior. Reign of the Dead procs (even the normal version) are very good, as well the crit from Phylactery wouldnt benefit you as much as others since your crit chance is still quite good. So Id stick with what you have

@ Garnik, Yes he should pick up 2p T9 in the meantime of him getting 4p T10. 2p T9 is a very valuable set bonus. Preferably picking up the t9 helm and chest since they are itemized the best for that tier

Quote Originally Posted by nexttosmelly
    why does everyone have precious's ribbon iv never seen it drop once
    Ive seen this thing drop 4x so far, maybe Im just lucky Got the 2nd one that dropped

Ditch the nevermelting ice crystal. Even the basic 40 emblem of heroism trinket is better. Shard of the Crystal heart is also terrible, but considering your lack of hit you may need to keep it around. Muradin's spyglass should be your goal but you kinda need to improve both. If Ulduar happens to be a weekly, try to get a group that will kill Razorscale even if the weekly mob is Flame Leviathan, X2, or Ignis, as that trinket is a solid placeholder. If it's Sartharion, do it on 25 man mode for a shot at his trinket. Both bosses very easy to pug if your guild doesn't want to help. With 3.3.3's release today, crafting mats are going to be pretty cheap, you should look into getting the tailoring wrists. They won't be a HUGE upgrade but they'll be pretty easy to obtain provided you have some frozen orbs and a tailoring alt/friend/guildie. And yeah, focus on the 4 piece tier 10. Gloves and legs both have hit on them.

jibjabb, Thanks a ton.

I've recently switched from tank to Boom and am having a lot of trouble keeping dps even close to others in the raid.

Your post was extremely helpful and informative.

We need more people like you!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfyre
    Spirit is not a very desired DPS stat. That being said, if you have to choose between a 213 crit/haste piece and a 251/264 crit/spirit piece, it's still probably going to be the better piece.
    As far as I know the difference in iLvl doesn't even need to be that big, for the spirit piece to be superior, of course it also changes depending on your softcaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosaka
    jibjabb, Thanks a ton.

I've recently switched from tank to Boom and am having a lot of trouble keeping dps even close to others in the raid.

Your post was extremely helpful and informative.

We need more people like you!
    I think there are plenty helpful moonkins on this forum, that provide plenty of explanations and insight into moonkin mechanics. And some of them are nice on top of that, but of course it's nice to see even more people willing to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfyre
    Since the Phylac has a 100 second cooldown
    Are you sure on the 100 second part? I thought it was 90 seconds, but I'm not that sure, since I only got it 2 days ago. I have seen quite a few people say, that the icd is 90 seconds and not 100, so confirmation would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parynziux
    So, you are clearly the biggest nerf to your class. Hush.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by DrJones
    As far as I know the difference in iLvl doesn't even need to be that big, for the spirit piece to be superior, of course it also changes depending on your softcaps.
    I think there are plenty helpful moonkins on this forum, that provide plenty of explanations and insight into moonkin mechanics. And some of them are nice on top of that, but of course it's nice to see even more people willing to help.
    Are you sure on the 100 second part? I thought it was 90 seconds, but I'm not that sure, since I only got it 2 days ago. I have seen quite a few people say, that the icd is 90 seconds and not 100, so confirmation would be nice.
    Phylactery has been repeatedly tested on PTR and it has NEVER proc'd less then 100 seconds from the previous one.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

it has a 90sec ICD, so the absolute minimum that it could proc is 90secs, however it also has a low proc rate, thus increasing the time following the icd