Staves vs One-Handers + Off-Hand?

Greetings,

I recently picked up Engraved Gargoyle Femur (Staff) and Surgeon's Needle (Dagger) from Pit of Saron. For both Shadow and Disc, Spell Power seems the most important stat. Emphasizing for this, enchanting the Staff gives me a total 631sp (550 + 81) and the Dagger 613sp (550 + 63). Utilizing an Off-Hand item such as the Handbook of Obscure Remedies, I can add another 59sp for a total of 672sp.

I guess I'm wondering in what circumstance are Staves in general better than using One-Handers?

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Staves vs One-Handers + Off-Hand?

Staves > MH + OH for base stats like Int and Stam (usually)

Grab up Unidentifiable Organ and pair it with Surgeon's Needle for what is basically 'BiS' pre raid for both Disc and Shadow.

Thanks! I knew there had to be some reason!

BTW, I think you meant Shriveled Heart for BIS Off-Hand, which I hope finds it's way to me soon.

Staves have more stats (stamina, int, spirit). MH + OH have more secondary stats (spellpower, critrating, haste). In general, MH + OH yields more itemization points, but the staves usually carry better enchants to somewhat make up for it.

I vastly prefer staves because staves are awesome. But for cataclysm, I want a real staff. A real staff is the lenght of my toon, if not more, and one that looks and feel like a solid piece of equipment capable of knocking down an ogre.

What we are seeing in-game is somewhat the unholy crossing of a magical girl baton and a large wand. So not cool.

Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Quote Originally Posted by Frmercury

Grab up Unidentifiable Organ and pair it with Surgeon's Needle for what is basically 'BiS' pre raid for both Disc and Shadow.
    True. Disc and Shadow priest stat No.1 is spellpower. And MH+OH has more spellpower than staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Frmercury

I am guessing you mean Shriveled Heart, not Unidentifiable Organ. It drops from the chest at the end of the Halls of Reflection.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

When you are raiding, you can only min/max so far and at some point, you have to take what is available. Not everyone will be able to wield the H LK mace and the 277 OH. So while MH+OH is mathematically better, a good upgrade is a good upgrade and so you should never shy away from taking a good staff.

And I also love the aesthetics of staves and always seek out the best staff possible. Yay Dying light ;D

15+ Year Old Account

Disc MH+OH
    Holy Stave
    Shadow MH+OH

With that being said, if there is an upgrade and you can get it who cares

Quote Originally Posted by tehmark
    Disc MH+OH
    Holy Stave
    Shadow MH+OH
    ^ Most of the time this is right. If there was a better MH available for Holy in ICC it would be better than the staffs though.

I usually compare my MH spellpower vs the staff's spellpower alone. Then I decide if it's worth an upgrade

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by sc2071
    BTW, I think you meant Shriveled Heart for BIS Off-Hand, which I hope finds it's way to me soon.
    Yes, yes I did. I knew it was some kind of a body part thingie, lol.