Staff and Gem problem

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45457
    there are no good blue gems for those sockets.. but i saw a priest that had x2 +19 spell power gems stacked in, as i saw that was red gems.. so how to put red i blue socket? ??? or am I crazy?

Re: Staff and Gem problem

You are crazy, you can put any gem in any socket (apart from metagems) since TBC. That's why there's a socket bonus, anyway.

Also, what's wrong with 12SP/10Spirit?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcc
    You are crazy, you can put any gem in any socket (apart from metagems) since TBC. That's why there's a socket bonus, anyway.
    u mean i can put red i blue socket?

Quote Originally Posted by wicas
    u mean i can put red i blue socket?
    Yes.

You don't have to match every single color, also mixed colors can match socket colors (purple can match red or blue, for instance). In blue sockets most mages will use spellpower/spirit (purified), red sockets are runed (spellpower) yellow sockets are generally spellpower/haste (reckless) or if fireball/frostfire spellpower/crit (potent). meta gem should always be chaotic skyflare diamond (which requires two blue [read: purple] gems to be used to activate it)

Also to reiterate, this is why you have a socket bonus.

This implies then that you get a bonus for meeting the socket colors. You don't have to do this of course, you would just lose out on the bonus.

Keep in mind though, that if the bonus is +7 spellpower or more, then you would normally go for the socket bonus, however in this case of the staff, unless that was the ONLY item you had with blue sockets in them to meet your meta gem requirement, you would then just use +23 spellpower gems. If the above is true though and this is the only source of blue gems slots you have for your gear to obtain your meta requirement, then indeed, use +12 spell power +10 spirit gems (purple).