Page 1 of 2
LastLast

DW Frost Dps vs 2h Unholy dps

Just wondering if anyone has noticed which is yielding more dps at the moment in raids? I am currently 2h unholy and been so for quite awhile. I used to DW quite a few months ago but gave it up due to unholy's superiority. How is DW dps faring now against Unholy 2h with patch 3.3.3 on single target dps?

I've been meaning to test it out myself, but i can't even find a good spec/glyph to even begin because outa the 3 sites ive looked at theyre all different.

Re: DW Frost Dps vs 2h Unholy dps

There currently is no "cookie cutter" frost DW build. Builds vary based on gear, glyphs, and play style. Also people are still playing around trying to find the "best" spec.

Frost DW scales best with endgame gear, but you got to remember that DW doesn't give so much str (attack power) as Unholy, but at the end of the day it's about what you like to play the most

I've been hearing some similar things when i talked to a DW dps saying he would be equal or do more dps than unholy...but idk thats why i wanna try it but couldn't figure out a good spec that'd give me a good idea of dps

I posted this in a different thread already, but it appears relevant here so.. here you go.

I specced 1/52/18 last night.
    2/5 BI, 1/2 CotG, 2/2 EW, 1/1 UA

me: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...a&n=Wingwraith

It felt good. Had enough RP most of the night.

Anecdotal evidence:
    Have been hitting 9.5-10k on Festergut w/ Unholy in 3.3.2 (254 ilvl avg, Bryntroll, 4pc T10)
    Last night I hit 10.5k w/ this DW spec (250 ilvl avg, Quel'Delar + Frost Giant's Cleaver, 4pc T10)

I wish I had numbers for the new 0/17/54 for this fight to compare with, guess that'll have to wait till next week...
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

Im spec'd into a variation of the 1/52/18
    2/5BI-4/5KM-2/2Cotg-1/1UA-1/3Subversion

Ran my guild 25ICC(N) Was still sitting pretty close on threat

Was struggling with the BT/UA/cancelaura macro all night so decided to completely ignore it on Saurfang. Ended doing 8.9k on Saurfang

Found 2/2 Cotg was perfect for me. Never found myself drowning in RP

Glyphs: OB/IT/HB (yeah I know the FS is whats recommended but I like the laziness of HB on trash)

Would link myself but armory spazzing out right now.

CAPS LOCK means I'm angry!

Just a follow up on my previous post ^^ ( Sorry im having a brain dead day and cant figure out how to save my post after I edited)

A question I had was, how neccesary is it for me to use UA if I cant seem to fit it in my rotation. I always seem to short change myself an OB. Would it be more beneficial for me to use the point in UA to raise my BI to 3/5? Currently im using the BT/UA/Cancelaura macro after my 3 OB's

and heres me: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=Urdeathisnow

Thanks in advance

In the other thread I posted in basically said.

I actually got to finally test out DW frost in 10 man last night without server lag and I was skeptical as how it would go with aRp gemming due to being 2h blood aRp.
    The results we're fairly good. I only tried DW frost on Saurafang on Normal mode not Heroic.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-lfqtufhet7zlhre2/

I was also using two Frost Giant's Cleaver

Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&n=Molylicious

Quote Originally Posted by Urdeath
    A question I had was, how neccesary is it for me to use UA if I cant seem to fit it in my rotation. I always seem to short change myself an OB. Would it be more beneficial for me to use the point in UA to raise my BI to 3/5? Currently im using the BT/UA/Cancelaura macro after my 3 OB's
    UA should be a fairly significant increase in AP, effectively like a single point for 6.6% additional AP at all times which is fairly absurd. I cannot see not using this. However, I am uncertain why you aren't able to fit UA into your rotation if using the BT macro, at least if done properly and set up properly. I suppose post the macro to see if it is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by coldfront
    In the other thread I posted in basically said.

I actually got to finally test out DW frost in 10 man last night without server lag and I was skeptical as how it would go with aRp gemming due to being 2h blood aRp.
    The results we're fairly good. I only tried DW frost on Saurafang on Normal mode not Heroic.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-lfqtufhet7zlhre2/

I was also using two Frost Giant's Cleaver

Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&n=Molylicious
    Why wouldnt you use a 51/20/0 build if you're stacking armor pen?

One topic, i increased my dps from 8200-9800 on saurfang and from 8500-10000(nipping it it was closer to 9990)
    sure with shaman change there will be people running around shouting "bankai" every time they use unleash weapons.....

I think I'll just say L O L and leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by coldfront
    I think I'll just say L O L and leave it at that.
    Im just trying to learn here, im not flamming or anything like that. The way i see it, with a 51/20/0 build, and you get more physical dmg out of that that with 51/0/20.

Necrosis doesnt benefit from amor pen
    BCB doesnt

20% haste = benefit from armor pen
    4% strenght does... (call it 1)
    and you get an extra 3% crit

I'm just trying to learn something here... nothing more
    sure with shaman change there will be people running around shouting "bankai" every time they use unleash weapons.....

Quote Originally Posted by KidGosu
    Im just trying to learn here, im not flamming or anything like that. The way i see it, with a 51/20/0 build, and you get more physical dmg out of that that with 51/0/20.
    He explained this already, noting he was Blood 2h but was trying DW. He didn't want to switch out half a dozen or more cardinal rubies to test a spec.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by KidGosu

Necrosis doesnt benefit from amor pen
    BCB doesnt

20% haste = benefit from armor pen
    4% strenght does... (call it 1)
    and you get an extra 3% crit

I'm just trying to learn something here... nothing more
    Necrosis does benefit from ArP because it deals 20% of your white damage. If you increase your white damage (which ArP does), your Necrosis damage increases. Similar thing with BCB.

Quote Originally Posted by Vangor
    He explained this already, noting he was Blood 2h but was trying DW. He didn't want to switch out half a dozen or more cardinal rubies to test a spec.
    Pretty much what he said, it was just to test DW Frost with my current aRp gems. The results were fairly decent but can be a lot better.

Anyone did a good test on the 0/17/54 build?
    Many ppl say that sucks if you don't have a proc weapon, but i'm starting to see good dks with that spec now.

15+ Year Old Account

This is my deathknight http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...s&cn=Realistjd (my 2hander is Bryntoll)

You can see both my dps specs there, i did some dummy (so no raid buffs, just buffs provided by my specs) testing and found

4.7k average unholy 2hand dps, geting up to 5k (i used gargoyle and did 2 minutes of dpsing)

with my frost dual wield i did 4.9k average dps reaching up to around 5.1k (i used ghoul and dpsed for 2 minutes)

So even with my superior 2hand weapon as compared to my dual wield weapons, my Frost outperformed my unholy, this was all single target damage, no aoe involved.

It could be the case that unholy may benefit better from raid buffs, and so might perform better in an actuall raid, i havent realy had an opportunity to compare them properly in a raid because its hard to convince a group doing patchwerk weekly quest to wipe at 5% so i can switch specs to compare dps :P

i just recently went dw frost i ran 25 voa and pulled 7k dps on new boss placed 5th dps and i had lower gear then most. DW frost i believe is a lot more fun to play and i cant wait to see what it does with good gear i dont really have a rotation yet its all situational for me. i pretty much get my diseases up and just mash on OB FS and HB (on proc) till my diseases are low then i refresh with pestilence using glyph of disease and then a blood strike after. its not the greatest rotation but im pulling more dps then most unholy dks i run into gear for gear that is. hope this helps .. my talent build is just what i thought would be good

heres my build and crap gear
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...l%C3%A8volence

Quote Originally Posted by Vangor
    UA should be a fairly significant increase in AP, effectively like a single point for 6.6% additional AP at all times which is fairly absurd. I cannot see not using this. However, I am uncertain why you aren't able to fit UA into your rotation if using the BT macro, at least if done properly and set up properly. I suppose post the macro to see if it is incorrect.
    My single target rotation goes: IT-PS-BS-BS-OB-FS-FS-BT/UBA/Cancelaura-OB-OB-and this is where i loose my OB. Sometimes I would get a third one off but if I do, the rune cooldowns of my next rotation would be off and I would sit for 3-4 seconds doing nothing.
    Macro:
    /cast Bloodtap
    /stopcasting
    /cast Unbreakablearmor
    /stopcasting
    /cancelaura Bloodtap

Some other numbers I pulled last night were 8.5 10 Festergut/ 8.8 10 Saurfang. Earlier in the week pulled 9.8 25 Toravon. All w/o using the BT/UBA macro

Quote Originally Posted by Againwerise
    i just recently went dw frost i ran 25 voa and pulled 7k dps on new boss placed 5th dps and i had lower gear then most. DW frost i believe is a lot more fun to play and i cant wait to see what it does with good gear i dont really have a rotation yet its all situational for me. i pretty much get my diseases up and just mash on OB FS and HB (on proc) till my diseases are low then i refresh with pestilence using glyph of disease and then a blood strike after. its not the greatest rotation but im pulling more dps then most unholy dks i run into gear for gear that is. hope this helps .. my talent build is just what i thought would be good

heres my build and crap gear
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...l%C3%A8volence
    Ur dps would increase by putting 3 points in BCB. U could either remove 3 points from black ice or 2 points from black ice and 1 from KM
    Quote Originally Posted by da_ganner View Post
    easy now... lvled him from scratch i did.
    so no trolling. been unlucky with drops i have is all
    Quote Originally Posted by Grissym View Post
    Master Yoda plays WoW. A Priest, on top of it.
    I must tell the world!