Page 1 of 2
LastLast

World of Logs rankings - what is needed for

What kind of rankings are needed for "pro" status?

Hi, i am fairly new to raiding. did a few bosses in icc but never got past putricide. joined my first real raid in march this year and have been running heroics ever since that.

what im curious about are my wow logs rankings, and whether or not they mean anything.

These are all from 10 man raids (there is only one 25 man heroic raid on my entire server, so it would be difficult to run these bosses with 25 people)

8th on Heroic alysrazor with affliction
    25th on Heroic Majordomo with affliction
    28th on Heroic Shannox with demo
    58th on Heroic Chogall with afflic
    104th on Heroic baleroc with afflic
    122nd on heroic lord ryo with demo

How good am i is what im trying to guage. does this approach "pro" status?

Thanks,
    Last edited by warician; 2011-09-08 at 06:17 PM.

What i think you can take form this:
    If you even rank means you know your class and rotation very well and can perfect it, or atleast you did once..
    The difference between rank 1 and 200 is mostly meter padding, gear and RNG.. So getting rank 1 doesnt mean you are the best.. Dont put to much into the actual ranks.. But yeah imo. you are a very good player that knows your class and whats going on in the encounters, and can maximise your dps..

I do not see WoL ranks as pro status, a lot if to be given into consideration. However I would say those are good rankings, nice padding on Alysrazor tho, nice rank on Domo and Bal.

I see WoL as a performance tool, it has helped me identify where my guild mates can improve as well as myself.

It just happened

Quote Originally Posted by Calabera View Post
    I do not see WoL ranks as pro status, a lot if to be given into consideration. However I would say those are good rankings, nice padding on Alysrazor tho, nice rank on Domo and Bal.

I see WoL as a performance tool, it has helped me identify where my guild mates can improve as well as myself.

It just happened

my dps could have been higher on alys 10 man if our 2nd flyer had died during phase two and we made it to the 2nd burn. we always kill it right as the tornadoes come out the 2nd time.

Deleted
    I'm not going to pretend that rated players aren't very very good. But...

I've got ranked, and I'm not a great player. I did it by playing destro when everyone else was playing afflic. So watch out for that - the best players are likely to be playing the top spec, so if you're getting ranked playing a non-preferred spec, you're not really competing with the greats.

And yes, there's a lot of padding going on. I checked out a top lock on Shannox heroic. He did lots more DPS than me - but I did more where it counted, on Shannox. Sure, you can dot up the dogs and get great numbers, but who cares if the dogs are damaged.

Basically, it is a great tool that provides interesting data. But you have to pull meaning out of it by being a bit smart about what you are seeing.

Deleted
    Getting good ranks in 10man is fairly easy, did it really needed a dedicated topic ?

The best players are always ranking for 25 heroic fights, and no it isn't always "meter padding"..the people who say that are just making up excuses for why they can't parse top 5, while I agree you do have to play like a bit of an asshole on some fights to parse, it's going to always just come down to who's better.
    Last edited by Enuo19; 2011-09-09 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vraie View Post
    Not many people send up locks in 10 H Aly, fire mages preferred, so that is one point there, not many locks play demo on shannox, another point there

Cho came recently, you have more gear than people who were raiding it while it was current

Domo's probably legit and good leap management, Bale, Rhyo probably legit as well
    what do you mean no demo on shannox?
    demo is highest single target dps right now, especially for a fairly stationary fight like shannox.
    the only specs that come close to me are spriest, boom, and hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Calabera View Post
    nice padding on Alysrazor tho
    Unless you are dpsing the two additional adds during alys down phase, or the guy who calls the meteor down (can you even target him?)... you can't pad on alys, it is all useful damage

"padding" isn't the right word for most fights these days

WoL rankings are determined by: your group's strategy and your role within that strategy > if you're a caster whether or not you have a legendary > gear benchmarks like a big trinket or tier set (though this hasn't been quite as prevalent recently) > player skill > raid skill (did your DI target die? did several people die thus slowing the kill? etc.) > assorted gear > RNG

That's just what I've gathered from looking at WoL and the ranks I've gotten. And obviously I'm speaking generally, it changes fight to fight

Sometimes this is true but generally it's a handful of people who keep the top 5 spots throughout an expansion, It will change though occasionally because of things like your role in a particular fight, or if someone has a legendary over you..but it stays the same.

10 man rankings are fairly easy to get from my experience. There are several factors, including groups dont have all raid buffs like in 25 man guilds, as well as 25 man heroic raiders tend to be better geared, and the top locks who have been ranking since before cata came out tend to be in 25 man guilds.

Also 10 man guilds dont have legendaries yet, the top rankings for 25 mans are filled with legendary holding warlocks atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Zumzumzum View Post
    Getting good ranks in 10man is fairly easy, did it really needed a dedicated topic ?
    Oh it definitely did.
    Lock -- My Main
    Druid -- My Alt

10+ Year Old Account
    Way harder to parse high in 25man since the best and most competitive guilds are raiding 25mans. Extremely ez to parse in 10man without a doubt. I know plenty of people who parse top 20 on their undergeared alts constantly because there is just no real competition. One of my best friends on wow literally started raiding 3.5 weeks ago still in some 359's and 378's and got several 10man heroic parses on his hunter many in the top 5.

Edit: Also all the fights are just so much faster in 10mans due to unbalanced health pools on bosses versus 25man so bosses die faster which results in a higher lust uptime over the course of the fight.
    Last edited by kushlol; 2011-09-09 at 09:57 AM.

Made by dubbelbasse

10+ Year Old Account
    Warlocks also seem to be pretty under-represented in 10 mans; but are much better represented in 25s. Could be way off the mark here, but I dunno just seems like Mages, SPriests and Boomkin are the prefered 10 man casters because they fill the central roles for buffs/utility, then in 25s you'll only take one or two of them for that core utility, and fill out the rest of your ranged with Hunters and Warlocks for damage.

But yeah, composition and role will have a massive impact on your output in 10s in comparison to 25s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    "padding" isn't the right word for most fights these days

WoL rankings are determined by: your group's strategy and your role within that strategy > if you're a caster whether or not you have a legendary >meter padding >gear benchmarks like a big trinket or tier set (though this hasn't been quite as prevalent recently) >player skill > raid skill (did your DI target die? did several people die thus slowing the kill? etc.) > assorted gear > RNG

That's just what I've gathered from looking at WoL and the ranks I've gotten. And obviously I'm speaking generally, it changes fight to fight
    While most of what you say sounds true to me, meterpadding also helps a lot to get ranked high. If you decide to dot the dogs on shannox hc you'll obv get a lot higher rank then someone else with equal gear and skills that only focussed on shannox.

demo is highest single target dps right now, especially for a fairly stationary fight like shannox.
    *cough* arcane mage, mm hunter *cough*
    While simcraft may disagree with me, these 2 speces are a lot easier to play, less rng bases and you lose a lot less dps when moving or screwing up.
    Also, simcraft numbers are extremely hard to reach for some classes so I don't think I really have to explain more.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's easier to rank in 10 mans, but I'd argue that it's still pretty difficult to make it in to the top places. 10 mans often don't have full raid buffs, special cooldowns (Tricks, Power Infusion), and role flexibility.

On both difficulties ranking high requires the cooperation of your group to some degree. These are some of my observations from 10 man.
    Beth: You need to be the one to AoE.
    Alys: You need to fly, attack adds (potentially padding), and getting a 2nd burn phase helps too (lower raid dps)
    Shan: You need to pad to some degree.
    Rhyo: You need to AoE, maybe be the only or main one AoEing too
    Bale: Avoiding soaking helps, high rdps and two healing is great too
    Domo: Being able to stay out and lucky with jumps and avoidance, not having to touch balls
    Rag: Using CDs against the needs of the fight, not having to stun adds

And as a bonus for Warlocks, especially Demo, having your Doomguard off CD when you want it helps a lot. I believe I've ranked on every fight this tier (top ten on a few) but it isn't as easy as I'd like it to be for me.
    Using computers to make demons kill dragons: Warlock beta spell WeakAuras here, @OOMM_UI, OOMM@kt-us

Quote Originally Posted by wowremy View Post
    what do you mean no demo on shannox?
    the only specs that come close to me are spriest, boom, and hunter
    i have yet to see someone compete with me on demo single target fights, maybe my realm is just that bad

---------- Post added 2011-09-09 at 06:13 PM ----------

only boss ive had trouble ranking on is rag, i think i lose a lot of dps during the 2nd transition phase bc we are repositioning accross the entire platform.

---------- Post added 2011-09-09 at 06:15 PM ----------

*cough* arcane mage, mm hunter *cough*
    While simcraft may disagree with me, these 2 speces are a lot easier to play, less rng bases and you lose a lot less dps when moving or screwing up.
    Also, simcraft numbers are extremely hard to reach for some classes so I don't think I really have to explain more.[/QUOTE]

no one comes close to demo, not even mages who sacrafice overall damage for higher dps
    Last edited by warician; 2011-09-09 at 06:13 PM.

http://raidbots.com/epeenbot/

Easier to judge your relative DPS. If you're consistently getting "Legendary" and "Epic" then you're probably pretty good, but numbers are numbers and guilds are looking for a combination of numbers, skill, and experience. WoL logs are USUALLY just fluke crazy good attempts, number padding, and people who are getting fed buffs such as PI, DI, and Tricks. It takes consistency to separate a good player with a great one.

Also, simcraft numbers are extremely hard to reach for some classes so I don't think I really have to explain more.[/QUOTE]

pretty sure i just did 33k on a 5 minute fight shannox heroic and i wasnt padding the meters... that isnt close to simcraft numbers? i dont have the legendary for 6 more weeks so i think you do have some MORE explaining to do.

haha