Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Demonology + Hellfire Thread

Okay, so we all know Affliction locks lub 'demselves some Seed of Corruption. Chances are Blizzard will find ways to buff Rain of Fire deep in the Destruction Tree again. But what about Demonology's AoE? Counting a cooldown (Immolation Aura) is kinda dumb, and given the "utility" talents (Like the mage talent Firestarter), could you see them giving Demonology a talent that increases Hellfire's effective output in some way?

What other things would need to happen to make it useful, other than the mastery changes guaranteeing it's still a DPS increase for taking it?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Cata-- Demo-Hellfire?

Wut?! Demo locks use SoC as well. As do Destro locks.

What do you mean by taking it? Hellfire isn't a talent, it's just a useless AoE spell compared to our 2 others.

yeah, over all the whole idea is broken. I think the only time i remember it being semi useful was back in sunwell correct?

Meta being passive with that would be awesome. :d

It's still good for killing yourself with no dura, though the life tap buff made this harder in raids

Quote Originally Posted by Turboteckel
    Wut?! Demo locks use SoC as well. As do Destro locks.
    I know. They buffed Rain of Fire at the beginning of Wrath, but Seed pulled ahead again. I was simply saying "well, they'll probably give Destro another reason to cast Rain of Fire" trying continually to push them back into it without nerfing Seed for everybody else (Which needs to happen anyways)

The point of this topic is to try and bring back flavor to AoE, rather than the entire class being nothing more than how fast you can spam Seed. Metamorphosis has Immolation Aura, which is bloody cool. But it's mana intensive, and on a cooldown. So why not give them a reason to cast Hellfire either in conjunction with ImmoAura, or when it's not active.

What do you mean by taking it? Hellfire isn't a talent, it's just a useless AoE spell compared to our 2 others.
    I meant, a new talent in deep Demonology that would buff Hellfire, thus giving a reason to cast it. However, it would be a flavor talent that would be more than "plus 2% damage", which is already being covered by your new masteries.

I get that it's not "taken" right now by talents, because it isn't one. I also understand it doesn't have a place in Wrath's raids, thus is "useless". But, why not buff it to make it less useless? Three different specs shouldn't play the same way.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Until they add a talent that removes the self-damaging portion of the spell, the only thing Hellfire will be used for is prefight Spyglass stacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game

Quote Originally Posted by blargh312
    Until they add a talent that removes the self-damaging portion of the spell, the only thing Hellfire will be used for is prefight Spyglass stacking.
    Rank1 Life Tap works better for that

Quote Originally Posted by Befizzled
    Rank1 Life Tap works better for that
    Unfortunately Life Tap doesnt stack spyglass Only "damaging" spells

Quote Originally Posted by blargh312
    Nonsense, Hellfire saves me gold too.

Quote Originally Posted by Teneal
    Nonsense, Hellfire saves me gold too.
    Wait, hellfiring yourself prevents repairs?
    How much bone could a bonestorm storm if a bonestorm could BOOOOOOOOONESTOOOOOOOOOOOORM!!
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/character-bios/'almega'-nara-draconus/ - my RP character

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Almega
    it certainly does

Don't get your hopes up,a s soon as my healers found out they made sure to heal me at wipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Almega
    Yep!

If you're ever in an impending wipe, just hellfire until your eyes explode. No repair bill!

Hellfire would be more useful if it did more bang for its buck. That plus the fact that you have to stand next to the mobs to use it...usually a bad thing.

Until Hellfire can make crit strikes, or it gets a gracious damage buff, seeds will still be better. Also it sucks to have to stand on the tanks to AoE cause if you pull threat you die, you are susceptible to cleaves, and aoe stuns. It's really a shame since it looks cool in demo

Hellfire with enough haste and sp destroys Rain of Fire, it ticks twice as fast (if not faster) than one tick of RoF for a little more than a non-crit RoF tick, and it costs half the mana, less tapping, more aoeing, more damage.

SoC is better, but it eats up your mana, a lot... so you'll end up having to life tap for more health than Hellfire's 800 a tick would ever cost you.

They all have their place, even Shadowflame... >>

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenstine
    Until Hellfire can make crit strikes, or it gets a gracious damage buff, seeds will still be better. Also it sucks to have to stand on the tanks to AoE cause if you pull threat you die, you are susceptible to cleaves, and aoe stuns. It's really a shame since it looks cool in demo
    Unless the fight "calls" for you to stack on the tank why would you be standing on the tank?

Get behind the mob where you belong and cleaves shouldn't be an issue.
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

Yes please to hellfire buff! =D

Nothing says fuck you putricides little bugs in the hallway better than Hellfire !

I just reckon it's probably the coolest spell out there. Except for Immolation Aura, just looks rad
    Quote Originally Posted by 420rogue View Post
    rawrrrr, i decided to make a new toon and now i can't get into the game....
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyth View Post
    this is the dumbest person i have ever seen.

It has been a while since I played my lock, but before I would just sacrifice the lil blue guy and use hellfire while leveling.. tons of damage and no loss of health..

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight
    Unless the fight "calls" for you to stack on the tank why would you be standing on the tank?

Get behind the mob where you belong and cleaves shouldn't be an issue.
    Don't be facetious, when you are channeling a spell, and your tank has to fidget, you will have to reposition yourself, rather than having the comfort of standing at a distance. Cleave is a general term that means "hits more than one target" so it can be an AoE like the beginning trash in ICC. Sorry if you misunderstood me