Thread: Memory usage

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Memory usage

Unless your overall system memory usage is above 85% (very conservative) then none of your performance issues are memory related. memory is there to be used. i think my peak addon memory usage was 228mb? somewhere around there. and i run this game 1920x1200, max everything, in a friggin window none the less, with 4x AA and i dont have performance issues. this game scales so well you could run it on a glorified toaster. if you have perofmrnace issues, its because your graphics settings are too high. or you have AA on, or v sync, or your resolution is too high for your hardware. it is NOT your 50mb in addons. ffs.

10+ Year Old Account

Upgrade your graphics card or downgrade your graphics settings.

Asking an integrated or laptop graphics card to do shader operations is going to end in chugging framerates. It will have shader units so it can display graphics, but it won't have enough to do it quickly. Lowering your resolution and moving the spell detail sliders (forget the new name for them) to the left will net the biggest performance boost.

Atlasloot, Gatherer and Auctioneer may well devour memory, but they aren't doing anything when you're smashing Ignis on the weekly (notorious back in the Ulduar days for killing framerate). Your raid frames, anything that checks ranges and recolours icons and so on will hurt performance much more. "Relogging for addon..." is one of my pet peeves when we're just about to pull (usually after 20 minutes of waiting for the raid to fill).

Quote Originally Posted by Taryble
    Considering I run as high as 70mb in raids without really dropping much, I doubt it.

Remember - STATIC memory usage is of no importance. Rapidly CHANGING memory usage usually signals a CPU-heavy addon (because it's causing garbage collection cycles and such).

CPU usage is a far more important indicator of whether it's affecting your gameplay experience.
    Hot damn! :P Mine runs usually at around 6mb. But I can squeeze it down to 2. I'm somewhat obsessed with having a low memory usage. :P

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account

Back in BC, I'd run over the 100mb mark during 25s. I think my record was 130mb or so.

How about checking for yourself?

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Omein
    Ok, so I am not going to start a new thread as this title is perfect for what I am asking

My memory usage from all my addons is steadily at 50mb. Is this relatively too high? I think this may be the cause of my fps issue during raids.

What is some of your lovely mmo-champ user's memory usage look like?

Any links to good UI compilations with low memory usage that are perfect for raiding?

I am a boomkin so I don't need a healer UI.

I can post a screenshot of my addons when I get home from classes as I am in between classes atm.

Thank you
    Mine runs at 15-25, depending on how much recount wants to use... ANYWAY;

LUI v2.0 is the one im using now, Though LUI v3.0 is scheduled for release before next monday. Have a look at it!
    http://www.wowinterface.com/download...0-LUIv2.0.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzzentch View Post
    honestly what happened in BC? it's like the 60's of WoW everything is in awful colours, shit doesn't make sense and i feel like i'm trippin bawls everytime i level an alt past 58...
    Shattarath is kinda pretty but outside is a technicolour nightmare that looks like someone tied horses to the contrast slider and fired a rifle

I'll also recommend AddonProfiler. Yes, it seems kind of counter-productive, but the point is that you run it for a boss encounter to find out the culprits then you can disable it. And you don't need to run it on hard content, just do it on a farmed boss. Otherwise, memory usage is sort of hit or miss. AtlasLoot, for instance, uses a lot of memory, but showed up very low on CPU usage when I ran the profiler. The worst offenders I've found tend to be chatty addons like QuestHelper, GearScore, and especially Carbonite; hell, they can sometimes cause problems even if you're not running them and someone else in your raid is, especially if you tend to run a high ping. Those addons are useless in a raid, so you can easily turn them off if your framerate is suffering.

Someone else said it best though, that usually the worst framerate offenders aren't add-ons, but videosettings. Besides some mentioned upthread (like vertical sync and anti-aliasing), I've also found that Shadow quality is a major framerate killer. Try turning down some videosettings first if you're having framerate problems.

Yesterday I had a problem with my framerate. It kept going from my normal 120 FPS down to about 5 or 6 with a few seconds before each 'jump'..
    Had a look at the processes running on the computer, WoW was using a ton more resources than normally.
    Had a look of my addons. Turned out to be QuestHelper that caused the trouble. (Never had problems with it before)
    Disabled QH and my FPS was back on 120 and stayed there.
    Also WoW was only using half as many resources as before.

So long story short: Some addons can have a big influence on your framerate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)