Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should Disco Priests take Renew off their action bar?

I was told by a few people that I should not be using renew as a disco priest. I guess they are thinking that a PW:S is what I should be using instead. As far as talent points go, getting improved renew is on the first teir of the holy tree, and I chose to get 3 talent points into that, instead of spell warding, so that I could get down to the desparate prayer and inspiration talent points. In my mind the only advantage holy has over disco in using renew is that holy has more SP due to spiritual guidance, and their renew does some healing up front due to empowered renew.

The reason I am worried so much about this is because I was kicked from a random H HOR by a DK tank (unenchanted) for using this spell.

I figured priests are the most versatile healing class and we have a spell for everything. Does that not hold true for disco priests and this spell? Should I spec out of Improved Renew and pick up Spell Warding instead?

Re: Should Disco Priests take Renew off their action bar?

For heroics? No. You should be using Renew on tanks and if you mainly use your Priest for heroics then Imp. Renew is the right way to go with the spec. I wouldn't worry too much about DK tanks being mad at you. I'm betting he was either Blood, or Unholy and was taking a metric capton of damage and not using cooldowns properly. I wouldn't sweat it.

For raiding? Eh. The only case for Renew is for tank healing. It produces more healing than Flash Heal, so you can keep it up on a tank in raids and it's fine. The issue here is that tank healing is really not your job in most raids anymore. It helps, but it isn't worth speccing into. It is worth casting, but not worth 3 talent points.

<Insert funny comment about disco>
    Quote Originally Posted by supazio
    I know everyone else is too lazy so whenever I run voa I just tricks the highest melee dps every cooldown. And I don't even have the set boner. ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Mondroc
    Hang on, you were going to make a class that you never see the race as with one of the new races, and then decide not to because you'll actually see aforementioned new race? Make does this sense not.

You should be rolling renews on the tank whenever you can spare a global. However, PW:S takes priority.

Battle of the Badasses - Warcraft Edition

Congrats to Medivh

Bracket Results Here

You should never not have an ability ready to use. Priests are amazing versitile.
    Renew is not a great spell as Disc, but in those situation where you've bubbled who needs it, and everyone is topped off, renew is your next best choice, as it's further pro-active healing, and that's what Disc is all about.

Note: i'm not talking about some of the lower level healing spells, or making sure you have all your cleanses and what not all over your bars...

It depends on the situation...

In heroics: having renew is good

In 10 man: Depends on comp. Still useable but more situationally.

In 25 man: Absolutely do not use. Your job will most likely be bubble spammer.

It very much depends on your role. If you have to move, and your Mending is on cooldown (which it should always be), Renew is a button to push. I mean, you don't have instant cast Flash Heals, and your shield has Weakened Soul to contend with.

If you're moving, cast Mending.
    If you are moving and unable to cast Mending, cast Shield.
    If you are moving, Mending is on cooldown, and your target has Weakened Soul, cast Renew.

Also, in 10's, if your target is full health with Mending on cooldown and Weakened Soul, toss out a Renew during that time (it's usually best right after you just pushed Mending out, because it'll cover the next hit anyways). The point of it is that it adds a buffer zone, which is what you're good at, what you're there for.

In 25's, bosses hit hard enough that you're shifting your focus to overheal hard, anyways, where the only buffer you have is incoming HPS anyway (thus why Paladins are the "best tank healers" in game currently), so you won't find a good place to push it outside of moving when the above parameters are true.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Discipline, not Discopline.

Renew scales horribly for Disc, we have no talents (at least with any decent talent spec) that improves it. Leave the HoTs to the HoTshots and get back to your bubble botting.

Dont take it off your bar.
    As horrible as it is for discipline, you still need an insta cast spell to use when moving if you're in need to tank heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfallonearth
    <Insert funny comment about disco>
    The only spells Disco Priests need on their Action Bars are the Electric Slide, the Pelvic Thrust and the Robot.

ON TOPIC: Don't take it off your action bar, blanket shields are what Discipline Priests usually do, blanket Renew is for the holy priests. Renew is generally for tank healing if you're asked to do it and you have absolutely no one left to shield / PoM on CD / raid is full health (usually never happens)

Quote Originally Posted by Bananator
    The only spells Disco Priests need on their Action Bars are the Electric Slide, the Pelvic Thrust and the Robot.
    Don't forget they're GREAT at Stayin' Alive.

So here we are lovers of lost dimensions
    Itsuka hi no kaze ni noote haruka tooi
    Burning supernovas, of all sound and sight
    Hayaka no koto e
    Every touch, a temptation
    Itsuku sora hitotsu michimono hi Wataateyukeyu
    And for every sense, a sensation
    Hanateta koto e

I fail to find the -o- in discipline... ???

"disco priest" is right up there with "bonii" (referring to set bonuses), and "rouge" for me, holy rage time.

Anyway, I recently made the switch to Disc from Holy, I still find myself using renew more often than I should, but it's been 1 week since the switch, it takes time to weed out old habits.

Either way, as others have pointed out, even if it's weak, it's another buffer HoT on the tanks, for which any healing is good healing. Don't take it off completely, but maybe switch its keybind/click with another more commonly used spell, maybe... otherwise, use it how you see fit, if change is needed to progress, that might be one spell you analyze more carefully to see if you might be casting it too much instead of bubble/pom/etc.

"Should Disco Priests take Renew off their action bar?"

No, it has its uses. I like it. It is also green, so, I like green.

Quote Originally Posted by moralpanic
    I fail to find the -o- in discipline... ???
    Spelling = DISCOPLIN!
    When people say "pls" just because its shorter then "please", I feel totally justified to say "No" just because its shorter then "Yes".

Its nice to use for heroic saurfang I've heard. As disc.

Predicting damage - the right way.

The only time you should be using it is if you're in a heroic, or you're in a raid while moving and PoM and PW:S are already on CD.

Flash heal and Renew are both awful, but Fheal will provide a stack of Grace and has the opportunity to crit and buff your target will Inspiration and a small Divine Aegis. I'd avoid either as much as you can and stick to PoM, PW:S and Penance as your bread and butter.

Renew = Yes. It is great on trash, good to preheal people who are topped w/ a bubble and you know will have incoming dmg. Especially when you are tank healing and have an extra GCD.

And for people who are bitching about disc-o-priests. You are all retarded.

Disc is the common abbreviation. Disco is obviously the next step in 1337 land. If you have a problem with disco being used please take pwned etc out of your internet vocabulary.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

As everyone has said above me, it's situationally useful. Just to expand slightly on Kelesti's point, remember (especially in 10 mans) to use it as a buffer zone when there's no immediate damage on the tanks, and to use it when moving - and also consider borrowed time, which is 25% haste and not consumed by instants. A combination you could use it PWS -> Penance -> PoM -> Renew and still BT up for a flash / greater heal. Or similarly, you can follow it up just after casting a shield on a full health tank and not consume BT. Just a thought ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulus
    Renew scales horribly for Disc, we have no talents (at least with any decent talent spec) that improves it.
    Hate to be awkward, but that's not quite true. Focused power and grace both increase the effect of all your healing spells, renew included.

Lots of good points here. It's quite useful in heroics between packs. I also often toss it on after a PWS right before a pull so I can just straight up DPS (assuming it's a 1-2 pull, otherwise I'm spamming Holy Nova). In a raid, it loses a lot of it's usefulness, but if you can spare the GCD or are moving and can't PoM or PWS, it's better than doing nothing with that GCD.

So, short answers, yes it's worth having on your bars; no, it's not worth speccing into Improved Renew.

Quote Originally Posted by KresnikHellfire
    Hate to be awkward, but that's not quite true. Focused power and grace both increase the effect of all your healing spells, renew included.
    It also scales with Twin Disciplines, but the fact that it scales some doesn't mean it doesn't still scale badly. The real problems with it scaling are that Discipline doesn't get Empowered Renew, it cannot proc Divine Aegis or Grace, and Discipline has worse healing modifiers in Focused Power and Grace (which may not even be on the target) where Holy has Spiritual Healing, Test of Faith, and Blessed Resilience. Further, it doesn't scale at all with Crit and it only scales with Haste to the point of reducing the GCD, but since most of the casts come when a GCD would otherwise be wasted anyway or while GCD capped through BT, that small amount of scaling with Haste is negligible.

15+ Year Old Account

Only use renew on targets that have WS on, they need healing but you need to move.
    Maybe you can roll renew on the tank, but if you spare the global to roll it, there is no need for that extra hps
    Your renew contribution normally should be below 1% on any bossfight.

Heroics... you can use renew better in heroics, but still not a priority. Mostly to top off people between pulls, on the move.