Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Frost DW DD: ArP hardcap worthy?

Frost strike is 100% frost damage, it sounds like you're thinking of scourge strike.

Quote Originally Posted by afkalmighty
    correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't it wrong to include all of FS and necrosis as magic attacks?

I thought only a portion of FS was frost and necrosis, basing it's damage off of white strikes, should be considered to be affected by ArP
    FS is 100% frost damage and gains 0 from ArP and necrosis does indeed gain from ArP.

If frost strike was physical then there would be no question about it, armour penetration would be way to go.

As for whether or not arp is better than strength, that depends. If you are not using glyph of disease then strength is always better. If you are using glyph of disease then arp is potentially better than strength at high gear levels, but the difference is under 100 dps so I wouldn't consider it worth the aoe damage loss.

Aoe is useful for the most difficult encounter in the game, so although arp may be slightly superior to strength on single targets I see no reason not to go ahead and gem strength anyway.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Shiira
    If frost strike was physical then there would be no question about it, armour penetration would be way to go.
    Yeah, sometimes I wish it was a bit like the current SS, but I guess that would be a bit too much to ask.

Bloodsail Admiral WaitingforSWTOR's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Thanks guys for chewing this up for me. Im gonna keep my STR gems

Thank God Blizzard is removing ArP coming Cataclysm ;D
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    The reason the smart people are miserable because their head hurts so much from facepalming at all the stupid people, its so simple.

Nobody seems to care about sustained damage vs burst damage. Frost has only 1 cooldown for increasing damage, and that's Unbreakable Armor, which increases strength by 20%. If you're gemming ArP, you're losing out on a large portion of your offensive cooldown, and thus losing some burst. This isn't really an issue in ICC, where no fight requires a whole lot of very high burst damage, but if you were progressing on something like XT or Yogg, I think you'd want it for the heart/brain phase. It's a shame all the boss fights in ICC are for the most part just tank and spanks with environmental awareness thrown in. None of the fights really demand a high amount of damage within a small window of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumduh
    Nobody seems to care about sustained damage vs burst damage. Frost has only 1 cooldown for increasing damage, and that's Unbreakable Armor, which increases strength by 20%. If you're gemming ArP, you're losing out on a large portion of your offensive cooldown, and thus losing some burst. This isn't really an issue in ICC, where no fight requires a whole lot of very high burst damage, but if you were progressing on something like XT or Yogg, I think you'd want it for the heart/brain phase. It's a shame all the boss fights in ICC are for the most part just tank and spanks with environmental awareness thrown in. None of the fights really demand a high amount of damage within a small window of time.
    Doesn't LK heroic requires a high amount of damage within a small window of time or am i remembering wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Tattasha
    Doesn't LK heroic requires a high amount of damage within a small window of time or am i remembering wrong?
    Correct, to get through the transition phases with out carrying vile spirits into the next phase.
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

Personally I'd advise against using ArP gems unless you're a blood mainspec and just don't feel like regemming. Frost does great single target now, sure, but no more or less than the other two specs; its usefulness is the crazy burst AoE, which you effectively cripple by losing all that strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumduh
    I get what you're saying with UA, but ICC heroic is littered with burst requirements.

Marrowgar: Can be used to burst out several close spikes.
    Saurfang: Common, last 20% of that fight is ridiculous. So many marks out...
    Putricide: Slimes.
    BQL: Hero after last bite....burn it asap.
    Sindragosa: 6 ice blocks?!
    LK: Obviously as previous poster said during phase transitions.

I regemmed 3 days ago fully arp and respecced to blood, since this build seems to be the most viable to consider arp gemming. The problem was that i didnt reached the hardcap and in order to have softcap its best to have needle equipped. Dont have that trinck. Just arp gemmed with mostly 264 gear. On the dummy and sims it looked like it was valid and a prety nice overal dps increase.
    However, on fights it proved otherwise. Whent raiding and i didnt even reachd top 10 dps. On my normal Unholy spec with str gemming i am always in top 5 dps. So for me, i switchd gemss asap after seeing this. So unless you can reach Hardcap or softcap combined with trinck its simply not worth trying it. Costed me a lot of gems/gold but atleast i know its worthless to try arp.
    I am sticking back to Unholy and bk to str gems.

Tell you what. We'll bring the rum. You bring the monkey. And a top hat. And some grease.

Quote Originally Posted by Apostolic
    The reason stacking ArPen to cap is better is because each point of ArPen increases the benifit of each Str Point
    Full ArPen gems you lose 320 Str. However the other 3000 points of Str you have if it increases the effectiveness by 5% you have more then replaced the 320 Str.
    Didn't read the full thread... but 5% increase on 3000 =/= 320 Str

I'm mainly not trying ArP gemming because like half our attacks benefit from it, and in a few months ArP is gone anyway. I know this is a "omg that's months away" thing but there really isn't a reason to swap all gems for that.