Ideas/What would you like to see in Cataclysm Boss Encounters.

So I've been playing some God of War 3 recently and thought would't it be awesome if you could fight on the back of the boss or have different bodyparts of the boss attackable (like mimiron p4 or bosses in games like Final Fantasy).

I'm gonna make an example with Deathwing

I think it would be cool if you start the fight on a gryphon/windrider that flies on his own (a defined route) and had to take out some whelps/minor dragons before you can chain-jump (think of flame leviathan) on to the back of Deathwing.

On the back there you could attack his wings but other dragons (adds) will stop you from doing so. from time to time 3 players (25man) would be picked up by dragons (like valkyrs in lichking) and dropped into Deathwings mouth, where you'd have to destroy some inner body parts (similar to the part where a player is teleported inside frostmourne) to get out again. (maybe this part is a bit off ^^)

You'd have to bring down the wings simultaneously (within 10sec or something) or else the wings would heal themselves back to 30%. Bringing down the wings will force Deathwing to land.

On the ground you'd have to chain his feet to the ground (maybe with some kind of vehicle or something) to force him to stay on the ground. When you've managed to chain him to the ground you will be able to start damaging Deathwing himself (he needs to be tanked, does flamebreaths, knockbacks and whatever). After a certain time he will free himself of the chains and rise up again, so that you'd have to do phase 1 again (a bit like razorscale )

When his health goes below 30% he will rise and start a deep breath, covering the floor more and more with lava (think of mimiron fire or prof slime) meeles could jump on him (again chain jumping or something ) but from time to time he will throw them down again. (most) casters will stay on the floor because only a limited amount of players is allowed on his back (or whatever).

So this would be an really awesome encounter in my opinion and most of the stuff has actually been seen in bossfights we already know.

What are your ideas or hopes for epic boss fights in cataclysm ?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Ideas/What would you like to see in Cataclysm Boss Encounters.

I hope they are inventive and creative with boss mechanics. That truly does sound like an epic fight. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more vehicle interaction and even new mechanics introduced for fights.
    For the Alliance!

Sounds cool, but that would be hellish to test, and with Blizzard's current track-record of "Woops, quick patch to fix that bug we missed!" about 3 times for every raid they release, i dread to think of the amount of "Should've tested that"-patches such an involved fight would take... :-\

Maybe better to stick with what they can make work in the game we have for now, would be cooler than always having a perfectly level room to run around in though

Would be lovely if they're going to add some vehicle stuff that fits to some fights, such as the Abomination on Putricide. They're obviously improving a lot within that area, so I'm sure it'd turn out to be awesome.

Other than that, I expect the first tier to be rather forgiving in the mechanic area, but personally I've loved every single boss after Auriaya in Ulduar, and I really can't imagine what they have in store for Cataclysm. I just know it's going to be legen-... wait for it... -dary.

EDIT: The OP's idea of fighting ON Deathwing's body has been suggested a lot of times before. Sure, it works in other games, but logically I can't see how it'd be possible. He's a huge Dragon, what stops him from simply doing a flip in the air and drop everyone to their death?

I hope Hogger's father and mother would show up, along with his 100 brothers and 100 sisters so we can have a swarm of nasty little hoggers to slay.

Quote Originally Posted by KandyCane
    He's a huge Dragon, what stops him from simply doing a flip in the air and drop everyone to their death?
    the new gnomish gravity boots! or the not-so-technical boot spikes
    i mean why doesn't use algalon ascend to heavens all the time ???

I want to actually DO something with my toon, so I'd love to see movement/coordination oriented fights. e.g., firefighter, heigan, yogg, vashj, lurker, etc. after doing all the stupid gear checks like heroic blood queen and fester, it's just really boring.

Deleted

Would like a fight which u like... get thrown out in space(like vs algalon) but not just a normal room, let the disc u stand on rotate, causing u to stand upside down sometimes, running in the opposite direction of where you are supposed to. Aka left becomes right and right left.
    Maybe some flashbangs, blinding the raid(like, make the entire screen very very bright, not like the rogue version)

every single heroic will start out, first boss, with the shade of aran "stay in the fire or all will die" mechanic

and the second boss will have a "move out of the fire or all will die" mechanic

every single heroic.

there is no escape, not in this heroic, not in the next
    -C'thun

blizzard has to teach people how 2 fire eventually
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I have been thinking a little about this, and I would also think that adding a bit of a "puzzle" element to instances would change things up a bit, so the game would be a little more varied, and not just follow the "clear trash, kill boss" formula. I liked the chess event in kara, but its way too easy, and you can't call it a puzzle.
    For example, I played DDO the other day, and one instance requires your group to solve a puzzle which invovled flipping tiles to make a beam connect with the middle in order to trigger a boss, now if we can have that kind of puzzles, and make is so that everyone can take part of it. Oh, and if it randomized everytime, it would be awesome too, so its not the same solution everytime. I can only imagine how fun it would be to have 25 people, on vent, working together on a solution.

And that brings me to my last point, randomized boss battles. Say a boss requires the surrounds around to kill him, and the room got randomized everytime the instance reset, so that you had to lay a new "tactic" everytime you tried him.

I know a lot of this probably won't be added, mostly because of the work and perhaps technical limitations, but still, would be a fun addition if you ask me!

I'd like to see a boss where the room will change i.e. oneo f the dragon bosses where the rnage stand on floating platforms that rotatae and dpending on where you standnig your task will be different like the ihgher platform has to nuke the orb before it connects with the boss casunig a raid wipe the other 2 will have to clip the wings preventing a 2nd phase ofmr occuring

I have my hopes up for some awesome encouter with Al'Akir, in the skywall, and Neptulon in the abysal maw. The opposite of air ( loose ) is earth ( solid ), yes? So maby in some way Therazane will, even though indirectly since she still serves the old gods, 'aid' us in batteling Al'Akir. Even though this seems unlikely since the raid is in the skywall itself, i just really hope they show us the warring elements that are NOT just fire and water.

What I don't like is that they give Rag all the attention now. The abyssal maw will have a raid and since Azhara will get her own expansion, ( or filler raid, tirion's carnival 2.0 ) It'll either be Neptulon, the Strongest of the elemental lords or old god ( presumed to be ) chained long ago beneath the well of eternity.. or both.. i hope the latter, in a different location though, they are awesome to turn out like maly.

I do like the idea of killing of parts ( Kologarn anyone? ) yet on a much larger scale, maby some none-interactive elemental / dragon warring in the background? I'm curious though how they will make us fight the chin, i see.. i see.. red dragons.. and a heal, damage and tank button.. and alexstrasza.. on a serious note, as long as it will be epic it's fine by me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    just because the voices in your head tell you things, doesn't mean the world gives a crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou
    Isn't it great how this thread has dematerialized from the unfair corruption of Ner'zuhl, to whether Kil'Jaeden is a draenei or an Eredar, then to Alien Genetics and now to demon sex...

15+ Year Old Account

I would love to see a fight where everyone has a specific role. I do not mean like melee does this ranged does that.

Imagine the deathwing fight as described above, only with all of it happening at once.

Group 1 is flying around taking out whelps.
    Group 2 is fighting the right wing, in which adds spawn and have to be dealt with.
    Group 3 is fighting the left wing.
    Group 4 is building a grappling machine to catch his front legs and drag him down.
    Group 5 is building the machine for his back legs.

When you land you now only have to dps him, but keep the wings from healing, as well as maintain the grappling machines. Less people could do this of course, 1 per job maybe, but it could be fun/hard.

I think another boss with a "dance" like in Naxx...its pretty hilarious to see a pug wipe to him and have like 5 people who know what they are doing take him down.

Also, for 5 mans, I would like to see more timed runs similar to baron and cot, and also RANKED runs, that grade you like C, B, A, S ranks for how fast you finish, how many mobs you kill, dmg/healing done, maybe kudos points for using cc or avoiding dmg via interupts, purging ect. S rank would be like impossible to achieve at first, and be something to keep working for.

Also, I want a boss encounter with trampolines.