Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question regarding Blood Prince Council in 10m ICC

Last night my group was running 10m ICC. We were working on the Blood Princes having never done them before (we are a semi-casual guild). Our best attempt we got them down to 60%. Every time we wiped when Prince Keleseth got empowered and would one-shot our warlock tank on him. Our warlock had 4 shadow orbs on him at all times, and when Keleseth was empowered, some of the shadow lances would hit for 10k (which our disc priest was able to heal right up) but some would hit for 30k (hence the one-shot). My question is, does Keleseth crit with his empowered Shadow Lances? Should our warlock pick up 3 points in the talent Demonic Resilience to reduce crit chance by 3% and then wear some pvp gear in order to get more resilience? Just wondering how to make him uncrittable to spells since we can down them otherwise.
    Signature by Caerule

Re: Question regarding Blood Prince Council in 10m ICC

We usually kill them with 1 tank on keleseth (me), and the other tank (pally) holding the remaining princes.... usually works

Is it a demo warlock? a regular demo warlock works fine and there should NOT be any need to pick up Demonic resilience. Also a destro lock can tank it well but he would have to change a full destro dps spec around a bit in order to tank it to its full potential. Tell me what spec he is and i can give you a few pointers.

To actually answer the question you asked (it's a hard thing to do mmk) no he can't crit with his casts, the only thing that explains your lock getting hit for varying amounts is that his orbs dropped off, make sure he isn't killing them and more importantly that they're attacking him not someone else. Also because you're using a disc priest I guess it is possible that some of the lower hits were largely absorbed and the un-shielded ones were the 30k's regardless he needs more orbs if he is getting hit that hard.

As Trork said though, using one tank on him and the other on the other two is generally an easier strategy.

10+ Year Old Account

Our guild could never get it down with a ranged tank. Maybe we just suck but the tactic that works best for us is to have an actual tank grab Kele. We usually have one of our DPS with a tank offspec grab him. They typically have around 45k health and can take a few shots before needing heals, giving the healers time to concentrate on the raid as well.

The only reason I ever saw for there to be a ranged tank is because Kele's melee swings owned face. They fixed it to where he can no longer melee so why bother with a ranged tank? Our DPS also greatly increased as we had an extra ranged dps that could stay spread out in the room and not have to run from target to target.

Not the only way by any means, but is the easiest way for our group.

Thanks for the replies! We will be attempting them again tonight after the raid lockout reset. I will watch to see what is happening with the Dark Nuclei on him. Also I will suggest having our bear tank grab Taldaram and Valanar and just having our pally tank grab Keleseth. I will try both of these suggestions. TYVM
    Signature by Caerule

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by freernnur5
    My question is, does Keleseth crit with his empowered Shadow Lances? Should our warlock pick up 3 points in the talent Demonic Resilience to reduce crit chance by 3% and then wear some pvp gear in order to get more resilience? Just wondering how to make him uncrittable to spells since we can down them otherwise.
    Mobs cannot crit with spells, so it's not that he's getting crit.

Quote Originally Posted by freernnur5
    Also I will suggest having our bear tank grab Taldaram and Valanar and just having our pally tank grab Keleseth.
    Exactly what we do in my group.

10+ Year Old Account

Let me clarify.

We had 3 tanks in this encounter. Not 2 with one of them tanking 2 Princes. Not sure how that would work but I'm assuming not very well.

Edit: As for the post above me, I suppose it works well. Maybe it's worth us trying as well! Learn something new everyday.

Just a tip for u guys i'm a mage and i tank him weekly on my 10 man.

The tip is get as much orbs as you possibly can!!!
    Do not worry about threat, if you dont have enough thrat that's the dps problem to hold on , i usually hve around 3-4 when the raid is not on keleseth but when its his turn i get about 7 orbs , as many as i can find.

Another tip. Dont use dots on the orbs , it makes it faster for them to die. I personally use ice lance.

Another tip as he is a warlock , make some macros. I tank him as fire mage so here's what i do.

Ice lance orbs

Put keleseth on my focus

and use macros:

/cast [target=focus] scorch
    /cast [target=focus] Fireblast
    /cast [target=focus] Pyroblast

This way you can focus on getting the orbs and not even worry about getting his target to build some threat.
    So the idea is to use a lot of dots on keleseth and no dots on the orbs.

Well I think we should be able to run with 2 tanks. Our makeup is as follows:
    Bear tank
    Paladin tank
    2 Arcane Mages
    1 Demo Warlock
    1 Boomkin
    1 Survival hunter
    1 Disc priest
    2 Resto shamans

I never saw anyone take that much damage in the whole fight (the two tanks never really got anywhere near dying). Our only problem was the warlock getting one-shot which led to a wipe. I figure it will make life easier and since our tanks were able to take the damage from 1, our healers will be fine with the damage from 2 (especially now that they only have to focus on 2 tanks and not 3).
    Signature by Caerule

When we do this, we have 2 normal tanks and a DK who puts on pvp gear for stam (with amz spec'd).
    He collects about 6-7 orbs at all times, the spells hit him like a wet noodle.
    If he loses one or two, he will pop ams or amz and get more.

We used to have problems when we had a warlock tank it, but that was moreso on the player than the mechanic.

Make sure you don't take any orbs from the caster tank, MD/ToT to caster tank upon empowerment.

As long as your DPS is solid and you know how to move away from empowered vortexes and play volleyball, it's actually pretty easy.

The orbs do 1% dmg to themselves every second, so if your keleseth tank isnt constantly running around collecting orbs (which he should be) they will eventually die off.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Trytton
    We had 3 tanks in this encounter. Not 2 with one of them tanking 2 Princes. Not sure how that would work but I'm assuming not very well.

Edit: As for the post above me, I suppose it works well. Maybe it's worth us trying as well! Learn something new everyday.
    It may take an attempt or two for your healers to get used to it -- the tank with the 2 Princes will take more damage than usual (but not too much to heal through). It's worth it, I think, for the increase in DPS / less movement for the melee between the 2 princes that are together.

Another question. Would I be able to tank this in frost spec with the following build

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#of0iMzbZZVIccobucfzgrst

I would take Magic Absorption/Arcane Shielding and use Mage Armor for a base of 140 shadow resistance
    I also would have Frozen Core for 6% less damage from spells.

Also I have 6 pieces of pvp gear with lots more stamina on them.

Just curious if I could tank it as this.

Link to my armory
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Mahoutsukai
    Signature by Caerule

Quote Originally Posted by krysak
    Do not worry about threat, if you dont have enough thrat that's the dps problem to hold on , i usually hve around 3-4 when the raid is not on keleseth but when its his turn i get about 7 orbs , as many as i can find.
    This is key especially for the first round that Keleseth is active. Your Keleseth "tank" needs to just have enough threat to keep him on him while spending the majority of his time gathering orbs (especially true in hard mode). DPS can just take a break & auto attack or wand Keleseth when he comes up and then when Taldaram comes up go back to burning down with max dps. The enrage timer should not be any kind of issue (especially in normal mode) and if you are struggling with this part of the fight just make sure the Keleseth tank is grabbing every orb he/she can find and just throwing enough dps on the boss to keep his attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazhylus
    make sure your priest is not putting bubbles in the lock or he will loose aggro on the orbs...
    False. I put PW:S on our Keleseth tank every chance I get, and he never has problems with orb aggro loss.

I'm tanking him as elemental shaman with normal pve spec and gear in 10 and 25man. no resistance no problems.

just keep always 5+ orbs on you, if he cant do that, let another player tank kele.
    if he eats a sudden 30k hit then one of his orbs just vanished.
    Time waits for no one.
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

I think you can tank him with this build yes.

If th pally puts shadow resist aura , you are gonna get about the same resist as i do when i tank which is about 250.

This really doesnt stop the empowered lances but helps a lot in the beggining when you don't have many orbs.

The only reason i personally tank as fire is that i think with dots it makes it much easier to put some aggro on him when u can. But sure you can raid as frost , just be carefull with the pet in the beggining because if you only let him attack he will eventually pull your aggro(difficult but could happen)

Deleted

I'm guessing one of two things happened to your warlock tank. Maybe he wasn't actively collecting more orbs, and had several orbs die simultaneously. The second option is that someone used a cleave type spell near the orbs, and got aggro on them.

The orbs aggro on you permanently when you use a damaging attack or debuff on them. The only way you can lose an orb is if someone else uses a damaging attack or puts a debuff on them. Aoe abilities like Whirlwind, Divine Storm and consecration are safe to use near the orbs, and will not steal aggro from them. Cleave type ablities like Cleave, Hammer of Righteous, Revenge, Heart Strike and Chain Lightning are not safe to use near the orbs. Make sure that your shamans don't chain lightning near the orbs, and no one is using any cleave type abilities in melee. This includes felguard cleave if you run a demonology warlock.

We use 1 tank to take Valanaar and Taldaram to the right side of the room whilst we use a lock to tank Keleseth making sure he has at least 3-4 Dark Nucleus on him at all times.Other than that we use a mage on the Kinettic bomb making sure it never reaches the ground.Using one tank to take the 2 adds is alot better for raid movement and gives our ranged tank alot of space to move where he wants with his add,its also ideal for target switching specialy when Valanaar and Taldaram become active after each other.Our lock tank uses a variation of pvp gear and stam gear,we havnt had no unusual numbers hit him so far,using the tactic i said it almost feels like a tank and spank fight.