Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...

Re: 5-10-20-30% buff affecting gemming/chants?

Quote Originally Posted by Zærkalla
    Yes, and No. 4% haste means 4 more casts per 100. Which means you can cast 4 extra spells in the same amount of time it would normally take you to cast 100 times. Now, if you hit harder, you gain more damage from those same 4 casts, which means that the same amount of haste is worth more at higher spell power values. This means that the harder you hit, the more effective haste is.
    Here is some logic for you.

Spellpower directly increases the damage of the spell.
    The value of haste is increased by the damage done by your spell.
    Haste has a cost. That is, to stack more haste, you would need to not stack spellpower.

Therefore more haste = less spellpower. (nothing is free right?)
    Less spellpower = less damage done per spell
    Less damage done per spell = less value on haste.

I'm not sure if i'm saying this right... but..
    Since the benefit of stacking haste comes at a cost spellpower, and the buff is a %based damage increase, The overall increase or decrease of damage would be the SAME as if the buff was never there.

Quote Originally Posted by Balfous
    Here is some logic for you.

Haste has a cost. That is, to stack more haste, you would need to not stack spellpower.

Therefore more haste = less spellpower. (nothing is free right?)

I'm not sure if i'm saying this right... but..
    Since the benefit of stacking haste comes at a cost spellpower, and the buff is a %based damage increase, The overall increase or decrease of damage would be the SAME as if the buff was never there.
    You don't lose Spellpower by stacking haste, you just don't gain it. Haste would become better than Spellpower at a threshold (depending on class) and remain that way until Diminishing Returns or GCD issues prevented you from stacking it further.

Haste stacking is entirely dependant on personal gear and class mechanics. My point is not to stack haste, it is to show the fact that since you can model the ICC buff as an artificial increase to your SP, gemming and gear decisions can be changed based on it's effect.

15+ Year Old Account

People are over thinking this. I get what the op is saying, and I will try to explain it simply.

Your melee hits for 1000. You gem AP.
    You get a 10% buff.
    You melee hits for 1100. You gem AP.
    You switch your AP gems to Haste gems.
    You now hit for 1000 again, but more often.

He is asking at what point is it smart to switch your gemming to up your dps over taking the straight damage increase.

I hope this makes a little sense.

P.S. I mean people are over thinking the question, the answer will require more thought than I care to deal with.

You don't lose Spellpower by stacking haste, you just don't gain it.
    If you know of a way to stack haste and not lose any other stat, please let me know. I would love to get 1 second globals and not have any less spellpower.

However, since that is impossible, My previous statement still stands.

Therefore more haste = less spellpower.

The ice crown buff is PERCENTAGE BASED. The artifical spellpower that you converted for that specific case CHANGES for ANY other amount of spellpower and ANY other spell. Also remember that the artifical spellpower does NOT contribute to ANY diminishing returns.

Since the buff is PERCENTAGE based, any point at which haste becomes > spellpower will remain the same WITHOUT being effected by the ICC buff.

since you can model the ICC buff as an artificial increase to your SP
    No you can't. This is why you're wrong.
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=silvermoon&cn=adobi

The buff increases dmg, not stats.

So when you cast lets say , a fireball.

Fireball is cast, game calculates your haste sp etc etc , rolls for crit or miss.

It lands, but 10% bigger.

I think you are forgetting tank's DPS/damage done rises too, therefore also increasing his threat/TPS, making this a non-issue

15+ Year Old Account

So fun to see people actually theorycrafting over a freaking buff that makes killing bosses even easier than it was.

If you are struggling with boss X with buff on your raid is either undergeared or most of them are handless monkeys. No min/maxing of couple of people in raid would overcome those.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYFioGqC2qQ - The true nature of finnish people

Quote Originally Posted by Drifted
    So fun to see people actually theorycrafting over a freaking buff that makes killing bosses even easier than it was.

If you are struggling with boss X with buff on your raid is either undergeared or most of them are handless monkeys. No min/maxing of couple of people in raid would overcome those.
    I guess you don't care about what stats matter most for you and just let richay carry you with his alluring british accent
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=silvermoon&cn=adobi

10+ Year Old Account

Spell power directly increases the damage per spell and its value is calculated from that. If you increase the damage per spell, which the ICC-buff do, you increase the value of sp.

The only difference to haste value is the extra damage you deal from the spells you wouldn’t cast with 0 haste. If you’d cast 240 spells with 0 haste and 313 spells with 1006 haste, you can only use the 73 additional spells to calculate the increase to haste value of another 30% damage.

I havn't done the math on this, but my theory is this.
    Y is the new haste value
    X is the old haste value
    Z is your percentage of haste.

Y = X*(1.3*Z)

If that's correct, 100% haste would be required to reach a 30% increase in haste value and because that's both impossible to obtain and no one wants to be above 50%, spell power will recieve a significantly higher increase in value.
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio