Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Fighting a healer as a rogue: What's the best method?

Quote Originally Posted by K4ge
    So wrong. Against equally geared and skilled druids you die to thorns.
    Thats how its supposed to be.

I disagree. I agree, that the restodruid SHOULD win, if he doesn't make drastic mistakes. But I would also like to see more from him than just rolling hots and waiting for me to die.
    Player: Vanish___________Server: No!
    Player: Preparation_______Server: Okay...
    Player: Vanish___________Server: I SAID NO DAMMIT!

Deleted

i simply think that a dps class aint suposed to kill a healer...

as resto druid and 1217 resi/26k hp i have several times killed a rogueonly with thorns

You are right, under equal circumstances I'm okay with losing to healers. I'm just not okay with losing to healers with ZERO effort. And rogues are THE easiest duel as holy pally/disc/resto druid

Once again, everyone has been extremely helpful.

I actually managed to kill a Resto Druid the other day with 2v1 as the scenario (me being the one) using a lot of the advice from this page.

It went really smoothly. It was WSG and the flag carrier was a resto druid, and he was being guarded by his friend the arms warrior.

I started by sapping the warrior, then opening with a CS. Then a KS. By that point the warrior trinketed and I used Blind.

I vanished and reopened with a garrote. By this point the Druid was at 70-75% health. Then, once Garrote was up, I ShD and Cheap Shotted for another 4 seconds, followed by a 1.5 second Garrote(on diminishing returns).

By the time the warrior was out of blind, the druid was at 40-45% health. I disarmed the warrior, then managed to interrupt a NS from the Resto druid.

Prep and Vanish for 5 seconds, I reopened with a Premed/Ambush and a KS. At this point the druid was at 30-35% health, and I was pretty much out of crap to use, so I just ran off the side of the building (we were on the roof) and ran away.

Turns out right after I had run, a fury warrior and a boomkin had worked their way to the roof to fight off the arms warrior and the resto druid. They finished them off for me.

Very happy day indeed.

Obviously, I don't expect that kind of stuff to work all the time. But I managed to get a friend of mine (an affliction lock) to be my 2v2 partner, and we're doing pretty well against healers so far. Rather than focus on controlling the healer, though, I focus on controlling the DPS while he takes out the healer on his own.

So yeah. All this stuff has proven to be very useful.

-wound poison on all of them, mind-numbing poison they don't have a lot of instant cast heals

-if they dare try a spell with a casting time, kick them in the groin, they will be useless for more than enough time for utter annihilation

-quick, instant murder. killing spree is great for this. any abilities that can shred through low-armor targets with a ton of quick damage, faster than they can react with a heal, or regenerate through DoTs

-if they run off, deadly throw or blind! can't let him get away!

-if a paladin, dismantle so they can't react offensively as badly, the rest you probably will expect them more to run away then fight back

-chain-stunning prevents them using even instant cast healing spells, so it is also a very valuable tool

that's all i can think of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

So wrong. Against equally geared and skilled druids you die to thorns. Disc priests just laugh in your face (at least I laugh at even the highest rated rogues on my disc priest). Shamans are doable, but difficult and require you to constantly kill his totems.
    Um no, like I said assuming ALL you are doing is killing a healer... you need to be decked out in raid gear and its not a big deal. You can kill them before their thorns (or dots for priests) kill you. You ever get hit by a KS from a rogue in really good raid gear? You put them at a pretty huge deficit and they can't catch back up unless they out play you and juke all your kicks.

I'm trying to stick to a simple rotation, bit depending on wich class you fight. Always use deadly poison though,

Garrote, Mutilate, Rupture, Vanish.

Cheap Shot before they get a heal of but try to regen som energy.

Here you want to Disarm if they are Shammy or Pally.

Mutilate, Kidney Shot, Mutilate, S'n'D, Mutilate, Envenom.

Now just keep up the pressure with Envenom spam while interupting.

This usually work quite well, and if you had the brain to save Preparation,
    and fail to burst down due to counter cd's. Reset and do it again asap, prefferably in the next 30 sec.

Other than that, keep them busy with Gouge, Kick, and Deadly Throw if they get too far away. Blind also works as a decent interupt at critical moments.

Disarm is useless, as it doesn't remove stats/armor

Disarm is useless, as it doesn't remove stats/armor
    It does if they have a shield on.

# Dismantle
    # Instant cast
    # 5 yd. range
    # 25 Energy
    # Disarm the enemy, removing all weapons, shield or other equipment carried for 10 sec

Let's look at that again in slow motion

# Disarm the enemy, removing all weapons, shield or other equipment carried for 10 sec

Again, only this time emphasizing the crucial part.

# Disarm the enemy, removing all weapons, SSSSHHHIIIIEEELLLLDDD or other equipment carried for 10 sec

I should probably say at this point that disarming someone with a shield will prevent them from blocking your attacks. But yes, armor does not get reduced.

Their 2% chance to block is probably less damage mitigation than the 25 energy cost us.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesphinx
    I'm also sub spec for PVP. I don't care if that's not the best possible spec for fighting healers, it happens to be my favorite one
    ^ hehe me too
    Easiest thing i find is just as always mind numb and wound poison then stunlock blind and restealth stunlock again and they are usually dead but i pvp in Pve gear so i do a ton more burst ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Durand
    ^ hehe me too
    Easiest thing i find is just as always mind numb and wound poison then stunlock blind and restealth stunlock again and they are usually dead but i pvp in Pve gear so i do a ton more burst ;D
    PvPing in PvE gear is certainly a viable strategy against healers. It works well during fights when you have a healer on you that can keep you up, or if you can keep CC and stuns long enough to utilize the DPS/Bursts.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesphinx
    PvPing in PvE gear is certainly a viable strategy against healers. It works well during fights when you have a healer on you that can keep you up, or if you can keep CC and stuns long enough to utilize the DPS/Bursts.
    Yeah if its you versus a healer, a rogue can't heal so if you are unable to actually burst them down and control them, the healer will chip away until you lose, so nuking your dps potential for more survivability is pointless.

Massive pve gear is better in almost all duels for us. The reason to that, is that even with 1k or more resilience we will die, when out of cooldowns. We can't tank shit.
    So we have to go to all lengths to shorten the duels. I usually wear no more than 500 res in a duel, but my ap goes from 5300 in arenagear to about 5500-5600 in duel gear (mutilate)