hunter weapon, dps or maxdamage?

my hunter is 74 atm, and i just dont know whats more importend on a hunter weapon, the max damage or the dps?
    my hunter is survival specced if that does matters.

Re: hunter weapon, dps or maxdamage?

depends. do u do pvp or pve?

differant weapons in my mind for differant situations but u shouldnt have to worry until 80

i intend to only pvp with my hunter.
    well, do talents and skills do more rely on maxdamage, or on dps?

Mainly go for stats then maxdamage for both PVP and PVE, however dont go for a weapon which has a very low damge but high stats over and average damage and average stats. If your going PVP once you get to 80 the PVP weapons are very good and I doubt you would use PVE/quest item weapons. For the dps part go for a slower range weapon.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Krillen
    For the dps part go for a slower range weapon.
    Not like there is a big range of ranged weapons a fresh 80 can get his hands on, just use watever u can get imo.

Dont worry about maxdamage or dps, higher item level = good. Obviouslty dont get a tanking wep (it will hav strength on it). Also unlike rogues and shammys the size and swing time of the weapon doesnt matter so much as the item level does, imo higher item level = higher stats = higher dps (unless ur Zod's Repeating Longbow :P). Usually u wont find u can get too many weapons on the same item level so just upgrade as u go along. Also surv is very good and make sure u get ur trap down and those 3 explo shots off. Healers are like woah wtf just happened? Also talents require u to fire u weapon more then actually worry about wat maxdamage and dps is on it.
    Wont make as much of a difference if u play ur class right!
    "There is a savage beast in every man, and when you hand that man a sword or spear and send him forth to war, the beast stirs." - George R.R. Martin, A Storm of Swords

Hitting 80 you should aim for the Felglacier bolter from Heroic Pit. Nice slow 3.00 speed so if you're MM your abilities will hit like a truck.

For PVP or PVE go for the slowest weapon possible. The reason we do this is simply because slower weapons have higher damage ranges to meet the same dps as similar ilvl faster weapons, and thus, do more damage.

Damage should be your focus. As in, look at the low and high end of the weapon's damage to determine your choice. Until late late game, ICC hard modes, whatever does the most damage is going to be better, since nearly all of our abilities use % weapon damage.
    "Cataclysm could have used more of Nozdormu. I think all he did was show up shirtless to Thrall's wedding."

-Anonymous priest

Thumbrule is:

Marksmanship: Go for higher max dps on weapon, since Chimera Shot is based on that.

Survival: Go for total dps on weapon + stats, since Explosive Shot has fixed damage formula based on Ranged Attack Power (RAP), formula can be seen in talent tooltip.

BUT ofc, if the "dps" on two diffrent weapson are of big diffrence and one is much more dps on it, go for that regardless of specc, but with small diffrences in dps and alot more max dmg on one weapon = do the math.