Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lich King - Defile

Hey there, I was just reading the description of defile, and as this is the current stumbling block for my guild I have a question pertaining to it. If all the damage of a defile is absorbed does the defile not grow at all? I ask this because the problem we've been having is defiles landing in melee while they're chasing a valk'yr, the two second cast time isn't quite enough to run out far enough to stop the defile hitting at least one other melee, so if we can fix this via priest shields it would be a real help.

On a side note, any other tips for this problem?

Re: A question about defile.

This was "fixed" some time ago iirc so that it still grows with absorbs.
    The solution to this problem is to make sure everyone
    1) has any BossMod with a /say (or /yell) warning and has this option turned on
    2) knows that everyone has to react, not only the person who gets the Defile. Everyone around this person has to make sure to move away. It's not the fault of the person who gets the Defile (unless he has no /say warning) but rather the fault of everyone around him if this leads to a wipe.

The dbm timers help a lot with this.

You get some defiles which come around the same time as the Valkyr's. For these you should stay with the boss as close to the centre as you can (preferably all on 1 side so Valks go the same way. As soon as you see that 1st Valk swoop down to pick someone up everyone should be spreading out. Make sure people are spreading away from the side all your Valks are going to reduce the risk of a defile being under the valks path and restricting your melees ability to dps them.

The other type of defile are the 1s that come some time before the Valkyr's are due. For these all your ranged and healers should just spread out preferably completely out of the middle of the room (near the throne is good because Valks wont go that way). If your melee is really slow at moving at defile you could even have them move off the boss for these defiles to make sure it doesnt grow much in the middle of the room. You could still get defile in the middle under the tank if he gets targetted by it but you can just deal with that.

Also make sure everyone enables the "yell on defile" option in deadly boss mods. It will put a big red speech box above the player with defile making it easier for everyone to move away from them.

You could also consider having a rough area or set of areas where people with defile should try to take it (I normally go towards the thrown when I get it on hunter). Mages can blink, hunters can disengage, warlocks can use their teleport thing to try and get to those areas before the defile is dropped on the floor. That alsos reduces the risk of the defile growing.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio
    (near the throne is good because Valks wont go that way).
    Off topic a bit, but if the valks don't fly towards the throne, what happens if you stack your raid between the middle and the throne before one comes down?

The strat our guild uses is we spread for defile, collapse for valks. The only time these sync up is during the second pop of both, they are almost always about a second apart if that.

For valks we mark one person in the raid, have everyone but the tank still tanking the raging spirit (if you still have one up coming out of the transition phase) stand on that mark (who is SLIGHTLY off the center point of the room). The only exception are the warlocks. Our locks drop their portal at the edge and stand near it so if they get picked up they can pop back up as they get dropped, negating the need to dps that valkyr. It is also very helpful to assign several melee to each valk mark and have 3 people each mark one as they spawn.

For the defile timer everyone just spreads evenly around the platform so chances are the only person that could possbily spread it is the person who it was cast on. This is basically it for the second phase. Once you get that down, P3 is cake compared to P2 provided the person sucked into frostmourne isn't dumb.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Saltypoison
    Off topic a bit, but if the valks don't fly towards the throne, what happens if you stack your raid between the middle and the throne before one comes down?
    They'll still fly to the closest edge -- in this case, sideways along the platform or whatever path is fastest. It'll be a shorter trip than if you were at the middle to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine
    They'll still fly to the closest edge -- in this case, sideways along the platform or whatever path is fastest. It'll be a shorter trip than if you were at the middle to begin with.
    Alrighty, thanks for the info.

We've been having about the same problem and was wondering if it's determined at wich amount of health LK has when he casts Defile, but guess not then.

Cause we had the problem of Val'kyr getting stunned INSIDE the defile and of course wiped us..

Best try we got him too 39 %... but well guess we gotta train more

Deleted

Another tweak to consider is to think of the circle as 4 quarters and *everyone* is weighted into that quarter (whilst still positioned centre-ish) and if Defile & Valks are due at almost the same time the person with defile moves clockwise, while the raid moves anti-clockwise to the next quarter and if Valks come almost immed after the defile, they will all move in the opposite direction of location of the defile

Let you melees run at the left or at the right side of the Valk. Do not stand right behind or in front of her.
    In addition it's always good to spread out before the defile timer runs out. Like 1-2 seconds. This should be enough.

Anyway.As a rogue always cast vanish if you#re the defile target. By doing this, the LK will cast it upon another player who is probably already back in the camp and you're wiping the whole raid. Just beautiful

10+ Year Old Account

Just have your MT call who LK is targetting when hes casting defile, helps a lot.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

we make it so people always run CLOCKWISE with the defile, so if ppl dont have it they run anticlockwise.

it helps a little bit but the main problem is you want someone to call out collapse or stack for each defile and valkyr

its just trial and error.

Lich King 10 - Defile

So, my guild have been attempting LK 10 for 2 nights now, we've been focusing on heroic encounters instead, as 2 of our raiders have already killed him, but back to this, we're having problems on Defile. Everything else seems fine, but Defile is something SOME people fail at. It's getting really annoying, because it's so easy to avoid. Any tips on how to actually make it easier would be very much appreciated.
    Our setup today was:
    Blood DK - Tank
    Prot Pally - Tank
    Resto Druid - Healer
    Holy Paladin - Healer
    Disc Priest - Healer
    Enhancement Shaman (me) - Dps
    Unholy DK - Dps
    MM Hunter - Dps
    Shadow Priest - Dps
    Boomkin / Fury Warrior - At the start, we used our boomkin but he got replaced with a fury warrior during the night.

Is this a decent setup?

Re: Lich King 10 - Defile

Defile is something you have to just learn. People MUST learn to watch for when it is coming. When there are only a few seconds left on the cooldown for Defile, the entire raid MUST spread out and away from the LK. Ideally, the Lich King is tanked in the middle of the circle, and when Defile is coming soon, people spread away from him (they should all be nearly stacked on top of him the rest of the time for Valkyrs) along the line of the circle that surrounds the middle, and then the person with Defile just starts running out of it. If the tank is targeted for Defile, then the tank needs to move quickly, preferably towards the throne.

There's nothing to say except spread out when the timer for it comes up and move out of it. You can't make it easier than people moving their characters.

Deleted

Set up for the most part doesn't matter for Defile. Except for Mages and Warlocks whom can teleport away.

The key is not to move when you get defile - that is too late. You have to watch the timers and move when there are 3/4 seconds left, be spread out near the edges/near the throne where Tirion is and then run back to the center ready for the Valkyr. I think there is one Defile + Valkyr that are very close together where you must move to the center for the Valkyr and then spread out immediately after but apart from that it is generally simple.

I would get an affliction lock

I think it's DBM them marks the defile target a few seconds ahead of time. Assuming your group is capable of spreading out a bit beforehand and then move away from the marked person, you shouldn't have any issues. If the person with the defile manages to notice beforehand, they can also try and get to a convenient to have to pop. It's not a matter of setup. It's the reaction time of the player.
    No, real men set standards and are territorial. Real men don't accept others that stray from the norm. Real men bully those that appear to be weak and inferior. Real men crave structure, hierarchies and rules. Your definition is just a way to neuter the male gender and only losers are deceived by it
    What I learned in a Nintendo thread

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Davantius
    Set up for the most part doesn't matter for Defile. Except for Mages and Warlocks whom can teleport away.
    And your Hunter can Disengage. I believe it has like 4 seconds before it actually drops too does it not? 2 for the cast and 2-3 for the debuff.

The problem is obvious! You dont have a mage in there ;D