Thread: Boomkin gemming

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Boomkin gemming

When should i stop gemming for haste/sp and go straight sp? I also have Nibelung

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ar&cn=Imposter

Re: Boomkin gemming

Right now works. After 400 the value of haste drops and gemming sp gems will give you more dps. While it's still a good idea to get haste when you can, there's no need to gem for it. Perhaps for a 7 or 9 sp socket bonus though.

Deleted

As the above poster says, after 400 you should be gemming for pure SP unless the socket bonus works out to be better with gems of the other colours (+7 or more SP for a single mis-coloured gem I think it was)

You gain aproximately identical amount of dps, usually favoring SP+haste by a miniscule amount, to gem sp+haste over 23SP in a yellow slot with +5 SP bonus.
    Using my numbers ( http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...scale&cn=Cocoe ) from WrathCalc assuming a +5 SP bonus:
    23 SP * 2.02 = 46.46 dps
    17 SP * 2.02 + 10 H * 1.35 = 47.84 dps

The more spellpower you get, the more dps haste will give you, and vice versa. I recommend sticking to all bonuses unless you have more than 2 blue gemslots.
    Also, you could change your SP+crit gems with SP+haste if you really wish to optimize...

Quote Originally Posted by Cocoe
    You gain aproximately identical amount of dps, usually favoring SP+haste by a miniscule amount, to gem sp+haste over 23SP in a yellow slot with +5 SP bonus.
    Using my numbers ( http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...scale&cn=Cocoe ) from WrathCalc assuming a +5 SP bonus:
    23 SP * 2.02 = 46.46 dps
    17 SP * 2.02 + 10 H * 1.35 = 47.84 dps

The more spellpower you get, the more dps haste will give you, and vice versa. I recommend sticking to all bonuses unless you have more than 2 blue gemslots.
    Also, you could change your SP+crit gems with SP+haste if you really wish to optimize...
    According to Greymatter's blog concerning crit vs haste:
    Spell Power > Haste Rating = Crit Rating > Intellegence > Spirit when above the haste soft cap. (Hit rating coming first if you aren't hit capped)

It's a matter of preference. Crit will yield better solar rotations while haste will yield better lunar rotations. If you really want to gauge which is better, you should gather a parse of your dps. If you see Wrath doing more dps overall in boss fights, invest in more crit. If you see Starfire doing more dps overall, invest in more haste.

Which spell does most damage can change drastically between different encounters, as well as individual fights... Encounters with several adds, or a lot of switching of dps targets will almost always favour wrath. Single target encounters will normally give a little higher yield from starfire than wrath...
    That being said, I admit that my previous info was designed for the latter, single target encounters and may be a bit off in general therms.

Deleted

Most of us, when we plot our numbers into Wrath Calc, will see that once we are at soft haste and soft crit cap, there is a favor to haste over crit. My haste, for example, gives me 1,4 DPS per point, where I only gain 1.1 DPS per point of crit. So under these circumstances, SP/haste gems are the better of the two. When we are below the soft crit cap, it is obviously SP/crit that comes into play.

As for actually gemming pure SP gems versus SP/haste, there has been, and probably always will be, a slight favor to ametrines. You are looking at maybe 1 DPS more over a cardinal ruby, but everything counts. Also, since ametrines are generally cheaper, why wouldn't we go for the better choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    Most of us, when we plot our numbers into Wrath Calc, will see that once we are at soft haste and soft crit cap, there is a favor to haste over crit. My haste, for example, gives me 1,4 DPS per point, where I only gain 1.1 DPS per point of crit. So under these circumstances, SP/haste gems are the better of the two. When we are below the soft crit cap, it is obviously SP/crit that comes into play.
    I really doubt the ratio is actually like this in most encounters, as I mentioned I believe crit is better when switching around on targets. Take Marrowgar for instance, I barely did any starfires on spikes last time because the odds of the cast hitting is far from 100% if the spike isnt over 75%, plus its safer with all the rapid moving in spin-phase to cast quick spells. The result was 10% more dmg done with wrath than with starfire that fight.

Wrath calc doesnt account for movement or target switching at all, which I belive in most cases favors crit>haste, making them a bit more equal that the calc suggests. There aren't many pure standstill ideal nuke fights.

Deleted

Fact is, you are not shooting spikes all the way through the fight. It takes maybe 5 seconds to get rid of the spikes, and then you are back to nuking him. For the majority of the time, you will have ample time to just stand there and nuke a bit.

You have to look at the fights as a whole, and see how much time you stand still nuking, and how much you spend switching targets, killing adds or objects with low health and the like. For Marrowgar, very little time is spent on the spikes. On Deathwhisper and Saurfang, you have ample time to cast whatever spell you have eclipsed. On Festergut and Rotface you do have to move, but this is usually short intervals, where you then stay still and move again, stay still and move again. You see where im going with this?

And even if crit has a slight favor on Marrowgar, you are not going to gem crit just because it gives you a slight benefit on one fight, are you? You will be going to other encounters, where the general benefit (as this is what WC shows) will be towards haste.

I gem sp/crit in some sockets because I'm sitting at around 700 haste from gear alone (plus cloak enchant). The annoying streaks where wrath crits several times off and on but won't proc lunar is why I gem sp/crit, so I can crit more often and have more chances of lunar going off, which is less down time of your eclipse procs in general.

After wrath haste cap, more haste makes your starfire cast quicker.

After starfire crit cap, more crit makes your wrath crit more so you have more chances to proc lunar eclipse, which is especially important since it's not a 100% proc like solar is on a starfire crit..

Used marrowgar as an example, simply because I stumbled onto it when looking through wws a few days ago and thought the wrath damage was higher than expected.
    Don't get me wrong, I still believe haste > crit, just not as clearly as the wrath calc. And that the stats can vary in effectiveness depending on circumstances...

Also, I don't know if you do lady deathwhisper 25hc, but to be honest that fight so a bit chaotic to keep regular rotation up for me at least. With add dps switching and movement 75% of the time. Also an example (though a bit better one) of where wrath and crit is far more important than on other fights.
    A bit the same with valithria.

Anyway, I think question of the original post has been answered...

I gem for sp, sp/crit, sp/spirit depending on socket.

Deleted

Is it considered best to gem sp crit gems in all yellow sockets with a worthy socket bonus when ure not near the crit soft cap?
    Also what kind of crit % is considered ok unbuffed? Im only on about 29% atm in moonkin form

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0070
    Is it considered best to gem sp crit gems in all yellow sockets with a worthy socket bonus when ure not near the crit soft cap?
    Also what kind of crit % is considered ok unbuffed? Im only on about 29% atm in moonkin form
    Yes, given you have over 401 haste ofc.
    How much crit is "ok" all depends on the rest of your gear... Generally there is a higher rate of items with critrating on icc gear than on toc gear, so crit rises quite a bit as your gear increases. For instance, all t10 items have crit on them.
    excluding trinketproccs, and assuming they dont give SP, I guess 29% crit is ok if you have under 2.9k SP.
    I'm not really sure, but it's at least quite hard to say statically that it's good or bad, as it depends on your level of gear.