Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Frost resist in the Sindragosa 10 Encounter.

I am in a smaller guild of about ~50 players or so, and due to some attendence issues we are currently working on Sindragosa in ICC 10. After Wiping a good amount last night around 10%, I have come to the conclusion that the transistions when the tanks move to reset their stacks are our problem. This is due to a few things that go wrong during that period. Perfection of that phase comes with time though, and that was the first week of shots at her. My question however involves frost resist gear. I keep hearing that even a small amount of frost resist gear can make that last phase Much easier. Since I know the problem is when people are going to reset stacks, limiting the ammount of times they have to will fix this problem and increase the amount of DPS uptime on the boss. With that being said, how much frost resist would people need to be helpful and have a noticable effect.

TL;DR How much Frost resistance gear does it take to make an impact in the Third Phase?
    Millions long for eternity that don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.

Re: Frost resist in the Sindragosa 10 Encounter.

Hey,

I don't know how this will help you but I solo tank it every week with 417 resistance with frost resistance aura up. After 15-20 Stacks of Mystic buffet I start rotating cooldowns to counteract rng gibs.

Our guild single tanks it as well with a pally tank somewhere in the area of 500 frost resist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daginni
    If someone at work said how was your day, tell them "I killed a god damn DRAGON! How was your day? Not as cool as killing a DRAGON I bet!".
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowhammer
    Rule #40: Under no circumstances look a resto druid in the eyes. They are easily scared away and may not ever come back.

Im a feral druid tank, and I solo tank it aswell, I have 520 frost resist, the cap against lvl 83 mobs (Raid bosses) are 515resist. A good way since resist is still kinda random is that we have a second tank, that comes and taunts sindra off me when I reach around 20 stacks and then he bubbles me (since he is a pally) but you can always run LoS aswell to get the stacks off, then taunt it back again and tada, you've got new loot !

Yes, get your tanks some frost resist.

My 10 man never had issues on normal sindragosa, but heroic had us switch our tanks to frost resist. Once we did that we 2 shot it.

We have 2 tanks that run with us, a Feral and a Prot Warr, if it is possible to solo tank it, I am thinking the Feral would be better suited for the job if we got him the Naxx Lvl Frost Esist gear and maybe a resistance flask. He would not have to worry about def cap with the older gear.

What gear are you wearing? I haven't had a chance to look into it, the only stuff available to me is the lvl 200 crafted items at the moment.

As a warrior you can get the Arena shield to help with not getting crit, while getting frost resist.

Thank you for all the input, I think if we solo tank it, the extra dps will help that last phase fly by.

Yeah my guild was having a problem with it and the main reason was because we would get to worried about removing the stacking debuff and not just pew pewing the boss. So I suggested we just leave everyone out and burn the boss down and heal through it (Was on my Healadin). I just spam healed the tank who got to 20+ stacks and we downed him first try that way. We arent even using anything but frost resist aura and that was it. With this 10% buff and good healers/tank you will just need to blow the boss up in last phase while breaking ppl out of ice block and you should have it.

15+ Year Old Account

You may find some help in this other thread (although it refers to 25-man the discussion may still be relevant):

http://www.mmo-champion.com/raids-du...ear-on-syndra/

Also, there's some mention of frost resist in these general question threads:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/raids-du...sa-10man-help/
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/raids-du...ocks-on-tanks/

I think in my 10-man our paladin put on 2-3 pieces of FR plus aura. He was crittable, but it didn't matter -- she hits like a wet noodle on 10 normal anyway. I don't have any experience with heroic mode, though.

Quote Originally Posted by elwi
    Im a feral druid tank, and I solo tank it aswell, I have 520 frost resist, the cap against lvl 83 mobs (Raid bosses) are 515resist.
    FYI, there is no cap on resists in WotLK, unlike previously. See this explanation (especially the table of potential partial resists):

http://elitistjerks.com/f15/t44675-r...chanics_wotlk/

Basically, you get resist in increments of 10%. Having a certain resistance guarantees that your minimum resist is a certain value, your average resist is another value, and your max resist is a third value. For example, with 510 resist, you resist a minimum of 40% (25% of the time), average of 50% (50% of the time), and max of 60% (25% of the time).

Wait what frost resistance on normal?

Quote Originally Posted by nerthus
    Congratulations on being the first jerk in this thread. Link armory showing your hard mode kill please.

Thankyou for everyone's advice, my guild is working on this encounter and the info here will help us
    Augustin. US Frostmourne.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by nerthus
    If frost resist is helpful, why not use it?

Quote Originally Posted by elwi
    Im a feral druid tank, and I solo tank it aswell, I have 520 frost resist, the cap against lvl 83 mobs (Raid bosses) are 515resist. A good way since resist is still kinda random is that we have a second tank, that comes and taunts sindra off me when I reach around 20 stacks and then he bubbles me (since he is a pally) but you can always run LoS aswell to get the stacks off, then taunt it back again and tada, you've got new loot !
    How did you gem your frost resistance gear?

The tanks should be using frost resist for your first few kills for sure, however, having a raid wearing frost resist will be very very bad, as the ice tombs can be resisted. Resisted ice tomb = nowhere to hide and reset debuffs.

Your OT/MT can be targeted for ice tomb when they aren't tanking either, so just keep that in mind if going for the frost resist option.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerials
    The tanks should be using frost resist for your first few kills for sure, however, having a raid wearing frost resist will be very very bad, as the ice tombs can be resisted. Resisted ice tomb = nowhere to hide and reset debuffs.

Your OT/MT can be targeted for ice tomb when they aren't tanking either, so just keep that in mind if going for the frost resist option.
    0.o

I've yet to see a frost tomb resisted, and if it is possible, I'd venture to say the splash tombs only. I know the damage is resistible, but the primary target becoming a tomb is a necessary part of the encounter (especially HM).

Quote Originally Posted by leverage
    As a warrior you can get the Arena shield to help with not getting crit, while getting frost resist.
    On the off-chance you aren't just being silly, resilience doesn't work in a PvE raiding environment anymore.

For the OP: Frost resist is a very nice thing to have while tanking, but it isn't the end-all stat for tanking her. On 25man HM, her melee actually does noticeable damage unlike any of her other difficultly levels. Also, having high amounts of frost resist does not guarantee you'll even partially resist the damage. One of our warrior tanks has the stam tanking trinket off of Sindragosa, and more often than not, I hear the swearing along the lines of "@!#$! trinket, over 650 frost resist and I didn't resist any of the breath!" This is the reason why we still rotate tanks... I'd rather rely on tank cooldowns that WILL reduce the incoming frost breath over taking unnecessary risks and hoping I take less damage. On 25man normal mode and 10man, you can sit a tank in there full time I suppose, she shouldn't live long enough for the damage to get too high and most geared tanks can take a full-damage frost breath.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft
    On the off-chance you aren't just being silly, resilience doesn't work in a PvE raiding environment anymore.
    As far as I know, the damage will not reduced, but the chance to be crit will. So it should work partially.

Frost resist is really nice on this encounter - at least for tanks. It makes screwed up switches much more forgiving. (2nd tank gets tombed, taunt misses, 2nd tank dies due to healers not paying attention, etc....)

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Yagamoth
    As far as I know, the damage will not reduced, but the chance to be crit will. So it should work partially.
    This is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft
    "@!#$! trinket, over 650 frost resist and I didn't resist any of the breath!"
    This is untrue. With that amount of resistance you're always going to be resisting -some- damage, but it's not always the highest amount(see the link Sunshine posted).

I have around 460 Frost Resistance when tanking this encounter, and I can confirm that I have always resisted huge amounts of damage from the breath and never once have I taken the full hit. I haven't heard our off-tank getting hit for full damage with frost resistance gear on either.