Thread: New Rune Strike

New Rune Strike

According to the first page all 'on next strike' attacks are soon to be dead. Blizz may change their mind before implementation, however what do you think this means for us Death Knights. How do you think they'll handle it to make it work.

Personally I think they'll rework Rune Strike from the ground up. the way i see it there are many options

1) leave it as is, sans on next strike. this will make it a curious power as you'd be forced to weave it in as a tank, and may muck up your rotation if you get enough. it'll also replace Frost Strike and Death Coil as a runicdump for tanks unless you get to the point where you cna't cast any rune powers, have runic power and can't rune strike, which adds more buttons. personally i sorta like this idea

2)cost rp, take away dodge/parry restriction. this'll have to be retuned to hell so that the dps can't use it, but it is still useful to tanks. this also results in stripping all tanks of DC and FS(which i don't mine personally)

3)cost 1F,take away dodge/parry, this would be a curious move and would largely make the strike useless to tanks since we can't replace IT with RS and our second rotation on any spec doesn't really have open frost runes that we DON'T want to use on something better. Blood tanks could conceivably replace HS with RS, but that'd make HS totally obsolete and the cleave is useful to tanks. Unholy and Frost tanks want their Ob and SS to stay put i'm fairly sure. again the dmg needs working to keep dps off the skill

4)cost 1F, keeping dodge/parry restriction. this would just be stupid and relagate RS to being used with a rune tap

5)cost FU, take away dodge/parry. this would be interesting as it'd be a replacement strike for tanks. blood tanks would have to balance between this and their ds and the rest of us would have some potentially weird tree issues trying to stabilize a tank spec that buffs an attack we don't use anymore as little as possible. they ARE redesigning the trees though, so this could work. also it'll need retuning to keep the dps away

6)cost FU, keep dodge/parry. since this is a double rune skill it won't really screw too much up. it will simply have the capability to replace a DS/Ob/SS if and when you dodge, forcing you to chose which one makes most sense at the time. i actually kinda like this method too

7)any of the above, removing the high threat component
    this makes it no longer a tank skill and it can fulfill another role completely. what would that role be though?

love to hear your thoughts on what you think will happen or how it should happen
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

Re: New Rune Strike

I think it'll be like revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by mattepatte
    so it's really won't change us macroing it to every attack and forgetting it exsists

Quote Originally Posted by Twistedrunes
    so it's really won't change us macroing it to every attack and forgetting it exsists
    What the hell is Rune Strike? o.o

I would guess they leave it as is obviously removing the "on next swing" part. I'm not expecting to see it until 4.0 hits sometime in September/October personally.

I'm guessing they will keep it the same except when you are able to use it, you don't have to wait until next attack, it may even have it's in GCD, that way it doesn't mess up your rotation. That would make the most sense to me anyways.

it will cost the same and be off the GCD but reset your swing timer.

....that'd be OP. seriously no clue what they are going to do with runestrike. As blood tank my runestrike hits like a truck, maybe we'll see it replacing death coils and allow it to be spammed.

i like the runestrike mechanic now although it was quite brainless. with the new icy touch its become pretty impossible for me to lose threat tho so not sure any change they would do would effect my threat in anyway. maybe they'll tie it in to a mastery.

most logical thing before i keep rambling, is it will just be a runic dump.

Quote Originally Posted by mattepatte
    That's my guess as well.

Instant attack you can use immediately after a dodge/parry that costs RP. Chances are they'll toss in some of the execute/new-Heroic-Strike mechanics too where the more RP you have the more damage you do.

Really at this point the big question with the next-swing attacks though is if they'll be on the GCD or not.

they'll keep the dodge/parry thing to make sure only tanks use it .

I mean rune strike hurts a lot when in dps gear

RP dump usable only in frost presence?