Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Confession of a paladin tank.

Despite promising myself never to quit instances due to poor DPS, I bubble-hearthed my first instance this morning.

I got into H DTK, reasonably geared healer, leveling gear dps... No problem, I can live with that, I've got toc25 and onward gear and can do 3-4k dps. I ran with people with 3-4k gearscore before without problems; or so I thought.

25 minutes later, we're still at 2nd boss (the skeleton guy), and I'm doing more than 50% of the dps, including on the boss. The members? Hunter: auto-shot all the way, volley on mobs. DK: dies whenever he can, void holes, corpse explosion, etc. Warlock: bad gear, but the most decent member of the dps. The average DPS of the 3 was 1.5k - 2k on the boss. Most of it was from the warlock, with the hunter and DK averaging 500dps.

Before 1st boss, someone dies in a void hole, and asks me to res him. While we're still fighting 3 mobs that are still alive. Uh-oh, noob alert is tingling. I'm a patient guy, so I just tell him I can't res in combat.

When we hit 2nd boss, I go about the usual way of tanking: I grab the casters at the bottom, and dps handle the mobs coming down the stairs. Turns out DK and warlock couldn't handle the adds on the stairs, and warlock got aggro and died. DK survived by running down toward me. Hunter survived cos he was hitting my adds and didn't aggro the stair mobs at all. So I end up grabbing all the adds at the bottom of stairs.
    Adds are down, starting on boss. That's when I notice all the hunter's doing is auto-shot. I'm really peeved right now, cos earlier hunter was complaining about me pulling slow. I ask him to use some of his other skills, but nothing happens. Probably afk. I take a look at recount, and the DK and hunter are doing 500-600 dps.

I just lost all my patience at that point and bubble-hearthed. On hindsight I could have just teleported out of dungeon, but when I bubbled and hearthed, I was still in the party so I could see the last message the DK put in before I left the group: "hey man, you're letting us die". Hell yeah, I sure am.

My apologies to the healer and warlock, if you're reading this, please forgive me for abandoning you 2 with the 2 failDPS. To the warlock, glad you won the helm off the troll boss.

To the 2 fail DPS... go practice on a target dummy. ANYONE can do more than 600dps on a single target. Please. For the good of mankind. For all the future groups you get into. Do it so no tank will want to abandon your group... let me not have broken my resolve in vain!

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Confession of a paladin tank.

ouch, thats bad, i feel sorry for you .
    Stormrage 4 lyfe

10+ Year Old Account

the risk you take with random groups

Sometimes they work out great and others they make you want to put a bullet though your head
    Proud Healer Since 2007
    "Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid."

I usually just laugh at things like that in randoms, one time in HOL the meters were like this:

Highest dps: me
    Highest damage: me
    Most interupts: me
    Most dispells: me
    Least deaths: me

I probably would have topped the healing aswell, had I used JOL.

I'm pretty much used to stuff like that, but it makes my back hurt from all the carrying.
    I just got what Falric is talking about in HoR.
    Men, women and children... None were spared the master's wrath.
    Despair... so delicious...
    Fear... so exhilarating...
    Clearly, he was referring to the cataclysm class previews.

I've actually recently noticed a raise in the amount of noobs or bad geared players. usually there is 1-2 decently geared players taht are able to carry the otehr 3, but lately its all people in full quest blues and maybe 1 geared healer. i just started playing my dk again after him being benched since naxx, and everyone is worse geared then him and i still top dps over people that outgear me, even though its a heroic.

Hahhaha people died on 2nd boss >.>

Personally, I'd just vote the 2 fail DPS out - you'd be better off 3 manning anyway. If no one else voted em out? Leave then.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Aliceinhell
    Personally, I'd just vote the 2 fail DPS out - you'd be better off 3 manning anyway. If no one else voted em out? Leave then.
    Yea not like you would have a new DPS in 2 sec ;D
    Proud Healer Since 2007

i got into a group the other night getting a few more badges for boa gear and got into a old kingdom run with everyone being undergeared. i sat through the run and we wiped 2-3... maybe 4 times, but i was able to vanish a few of the wipes. at the last wipe everyone decided to leave. i thought it was kind of funny because it was like they expected the rest of the group to be geared and carry them through the instance and that just wasnt the case.

The problem with these threads is that the people you are annoyed with will never read them. Yes, we all know that you can get bad groups in LFG. This is not something new, deal with it.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Biged781
    The problem with these threads is that the people you are annoyed with will never read them. Yes, we all know that you can get bad groups in LFG. This is not something new, deal with it.
    Yea its not anything new, but people like to vent about it when it happens to them
    Proud Healer Since 2007

10+ Year Old Account

If just the majority of the people could how heroics were like when WotLK were first launched.
    The goblin warrior, Gallywix!
    "And the Heavens shall tremble!"

My name is Kenneth044, and I'm an altoholic!

I sometimes be the 2nd dps after tank as a healer. There are so many people who dont know to play their characters. Nothing to do about it, you should have left after 1st boss imho.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Tesshiro
    If just the majority of the people could how heroics were like when WotLK were first launched.
    I remember going though all the 5 mans about 4 days after WotLK came out with 4 other guild members. We where all in T6 and we had to put thought into the boss fights, and I remember OCC blowing our minds
    Proud Healer Since 2007

15+ Year Old Account

When I played I usually played really late at night...kind of like now. I can count on one hand the number of time I wasn't top damage/dps on my tank, or second on dps/damage on my healers, right behind the tank.

I remember farming heroics near start of wotlk and when my friend paladin tank had like 24k health I was like "how can you die now?"

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasyfin
    I remember farming heroics near start of wotlk and when my friend paladin tank had like 24k health I was like "how can you die now?"
    I played my restodruid, and back then spirit were overpowered, so I gemmed spirit, as I had serious mana problems. But I was kicked out of a group for only having 14k mana. Eventho' that was more than fine for heroics. But nowaday people are so goddamn fustrating, anything below 4,5k won't cut it for heroics :-X
    The goblin warrior, Gallywix!
    "And the Heavens shall tremble!"

My name is Kenneth044, and I'm an altoholic!

The perils of LFG.

Somedays you get the resto druid who has the legendary Ulduar 25 mace and heals HoR in nelf form without breaking a sweat and doesn't know what oom means--with 3 dps who outgear you but still know how to both manage threat and do about 6k dps each overall, 10k on bosses.

Somedays you don't.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasyfin
    ^
    This!

If you end up doing randoms without your guild there's not much else to expect at this point. Even in the era of free 232-245 gear from heroics I find the average dps still lower then 3k (which is still doable in blues btw). But herein lies the problem of Wrath, free gear, free raiding, so much ease of introductory grouping and self help available... and the playerbase becomes worse as a result of it.

I end up only queuing without guildies as a last resort, something I try to avoid only if I'm on during odd hours (normally due to having a 4 hour gap in classes early in the morning). End result, I play three classes with tank specs, all three of which end up normally as the top dps.

But seeing as I have instant queue's for all 4 characters (4th is a preist with a healing offspec) I've become decidedly "no bullshit" about the whole thing. Talk shit for no reason, I leave. Do less dps then the tank but still say "gogogo", fuck you, I leave. Not votekick the asshole I want gone? I leave.

It's simple, show up, shut up, and enjoy your carry. I still can't fathom how people could manage to get angry about the group not moving fast enough when the tank does 4k and the goddamn dps do 1k. Worst of all is hearing "well you u did moar dps then me cuz you got 5k GS and bear AoE is OP" I wish I was kidding.

Deleted

I tolerate a lot when it comes to pug dps, but I do have a minimum of 1k dps.
    1k dps is easy for any class in blues. If you cant reach that then your not ready for heroics yet.